'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Above all: Class  (Read 4634 times)

pwh00

• Walk-On
Above all: Class
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »
Yes, this loss burns like hell.

But a note away from the on-court result: I'm very glad TC has resisted the temptation to sign any petulant, classless assclowns like Robin Lopez.  The bush-league crap Lopez pulled tonight would never fly with TC.

Even if TC hasn't found our elusive big-man messiah yet, I'm glad TC won't sell his soul just to sign a seven-foot headcase like Robin Lopez.  And as much as it burns to lose a game like this one, I'd rather lose a hard-fought game with classy players than win with players of Lopez's idiot caliber prancing around in Marquette jerseys.

Say what you will about TC - he may miss out on more high-caliber recruits than he signs, he may not be the best in-game coach, etc.......but at the end of the day (and in a conference where headcases like Jerry Smith, Jamar Nutter, and Levance "Don't Tase Me, Bro" Fields still outnumber the Steve Novak-types), I appreciate how TC's players always represent the team and the school with the utmost class. 

No question, tonight's result may stink, but the needle is still pointing "up" on our program - in large part because TC is building it the right way with the right types of players.

And with that - stay classy, Robin Lopez...... 

bs4173

• Team Captain
Re: Above all: Class
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:25:58 AM »
pwh00, i couldn't agree with you more. both lopez brothers--esp the one with the fro--were in the face of every MU player they managed to bump into tonight. they were annoying and trashy, and i'm glad we don't stoop to shouting in the opponent's faces every time we touch the ball.

i'm really proud of how the MU players have conducted themselves over the past few days. it helps knowing that UK fans have applauded DJ for approaching crawford after the first-round game. it must be rough for stanford fans to know that, despite their win, they're still led by a coach who can't keep cool in the first 10 minutes of the game and a set of players who spend as much time jawing at the other team as they do hustling down the court.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:30:30 AM »
And to think, Trend got rung up for a T for listening to one of the Lopez brothers tell him where he could "put that crap."

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:32:05 AM »
hated Stanford before the game, just the school in general, something like a dozen stadiums have banned their band from playing in the stadium (something to do with spelling out profanity in their lines), got this from my sister and brother-in-law, when they went to the Rose Bowl when Wisconsin played Stanford, Wisconsin's band came out with their high kick trademark, and played well, then Stanford's band came out, and I guess just pretty much ran everywhere, you think a place like Stanford would have class, even with their band.

my favorite is Stanford is going to lose soon, they will lose Brook to the NBA, and their team will be in shambles...

After further review, I still hate Stanford.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
And to think, Trend got rung up for a T for listening to one of the Lopez brothers tell him where he could "put that crap."

what I don't get, is Stanford's players were stomping screaming at our players and bumping into them constantly, our player says one word, and is T'd up... don't get.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:38:26 AM »
It's called making up for tossing their coach by only calling 8 fouls on them the rest of the way (30 minutes of basketball).

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 01:39:48 AM »
what I don't get, is Stanford's players were stomping screaming at our players and bumping into them constantly, our player says one word, and is T'd up... don't get.

After fouls were called and one of our players was holding the ball they'd come up and smack it out of our hands and give it to the ref.  Or after they made a basket kick it into the camera area.  Classless bastards.  I actually wish them absolutely no luck in the upcoming rounds.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »
Well said.  Hold your head up high, Marquette.

MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
Every team, in any sport, at any level, is guilty at some point in time of "questionable antics", including Marquette.  We've all heard this song and dance before, BUT unlike us and most schools, I felt like the antics by the Lopez twins was not a once and a while thing.  It seems like that is how they carry themselves EVERY game which makes it even more embarassing.  I don't want to sound like we're "holier than thou" but geez, show some class.  Did anybody see the Lopez twin's mother?  That explains a lot.

Very proud of the class Marquette consistently shows...keep it up.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:51:05 PM »
I did not like Lo[ez antics either and felt they should have been warned or given a technical by the refs earlier. I could not believe it when they gave Trend a technical. At least the other ref stepped in and tried to even it out by giving a technical to Lopez.  i do not like losing, but i rather lose by one in overtime then get outright beat like Notre Dame did.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »
I would love it more than anything if the 2 Lopez brothers were to stay all 4 years and for Marquette to knock them out in the NCAA Tournament.  That would be my favorite post-game press conference ever.  Too bad Brooke's gone after this year...

And, quite honestly, I would hate to play them again with 2 more years under their belts.  Haha.  But that would be the ideal situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
Did anybody see the Lopez twin's mother? 

I did.  She was that hottie with the long stringy blond hair!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
put the lopez mom and mcalarney's mom in a blender and you'll get 4ever's ideal woman.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »

I did.  She was that hottie with the long stringy blond hair!

She seriously (along with her sons) needs to get out of the 60s..............

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »
I can't stand the Lopez twins either.

But I so wanted an MU player (Trend or Lazar) to posterize their a$$e$! We just don't have those freakishly athletic, "go for the jugular", tea bagging players on MU...someone in the mold of Hakim Warrick. The last time I would say MU had a "posterizer" was Wade.

Thinking back, may be a fight during a hot moment in the game would have led to the ejection of a Lopez!  ;)
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »
Ziggy and I have been known to share the same tastes in chicks.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Ziggy and I have been known to share the same tastes in chicks.

luckily not at the same time!

I saw you on that Old Spice commercial with the cops.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »

Same woman who named her twin sone Robin and Brooke. They were destined to be classless pansies!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »

luckily not at the same time!

I saw you on that Old Spice commercial with the cops.
[/quote]

Speaking of Old Spice Commercials: I watched the game on my laptop on CBS MMOD and they continually ran the Old Spice Commercial with Will Ferrel Semi-Pro pitching the "Only street legal non-posionous deoderant outside of Mexico."  (Along the lines of that.)

Brew City

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »

Forget the twins...how about these quads?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »
Throw in Justin Guarini (first season of American Idol) and you've got quintuplets.