Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 Seed in the NCAA  (Read 6450 times)

muhoops1

• All American
10 Seed in the NCAA
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »
Does that seem like a logical seed for this team?  Unless they can win 2 in the BE tournament.

I thought they'd lose today, but the flame out wasn't expected.  Not smart with the ball at all.

muguru

• All American
Re: 10 Seed in the NCAA
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
A 10?? Your not serious are you?? My god a little perspective people...they are at worst a 6 right now.  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
We're about a 7 right now, if you ask me.  Need to win two in BE to get better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
CT has it right. If we lose Wednesday, we go down. If we win, we might go up.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
A 10?? Your not serious are you?? My god a little perspective people...they are at worst a 6 right now.  ::)
So given recent history, that gives them an 8 seed.  The combination of overrating by posters and underrating by the committee has resulted in about a 2 seed differential the last few years.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
Well perhaps a 10 is a bit low.  But this team has now lost 2 of 3 going into the BE Tournament.  The lone win was against a throw a way.  They looked bad today.  Really bad.  Although I'm not sure playing Seton Hall is a bad thing.  They suck and they get 0 support regardless of their proximity to MSG.  Providence may be the tougher draw for MU.

I'm a fan and an alum.  I just get bummed out watching them play like they did today.  It is tough to watch.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Well perhaps a 10 is a bit low.  But this team has now lost 2 of 3 going into the BE Tournament.  The lone win was against a throw a way.  They looked bad today.  Really bad.  Although I'm not sure playing Seton Hall is a bad thing.  They suck and they get 0 support regardless of their proximity to MSG.  Providence may be the tougher draw for MU.

I'm a fan and an alum.  I just get bummed out watching them play like they did today.  It is tough to watch.

We are definitely in that 7-10 group, although likely on the upper end at the moment. A loss on Wednesday, and we may be hoping for the dreaded 8-9 game, as opposed to a 7-10. Fact is we have been average at best on the road, and our record in our final 12 is not shaping up that great (7-5?).

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
Right I'd say we are a 6. 

Win the first game of BET and we are a 5.

Win the second game and we could reach a 4, but most likely stay at a 5.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »
There is no way we can be a 4 unless we win the BE Tournament. I'd guess we'll be a 7 or 8. Iif we play like we did today, it's not going to matter. We would have lost to any Top 50 team today.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
We definitely mailed it in today...

Hopefully things will be different in the tournaments.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 06:10:28 PM »
I predict an 8 seed.  Just like last year

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »
I am the glass half full kinda fan, but I see us no higher than 7 and likely an 8 barring a deep run in the BE tourney.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
Pretty disappointing, but here'sthe upside...next year we'll probably be great.  we'll be returning almost everyone and we will have the best guards in all of America and the best coach and.......right, I think I've heard this all before.

Other college BB teams, need a win at the end of the season?  Need a win to pump up your resume?  Schedule us.  good bye top 25.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 07:32:37 PM »
Yes I have also heard that

"WE are going to be great with all of our Guards returning blah blah blah!!!!

EVERY YEAR WE LOOK TOWARDS NEXT YEAR!!!!  FCK NEXT YEAR!!!!!

This team is to good to play like such crap.

We really screwed up this year as we did not improve at all since last year.

Crean needs to be held accountable for once in his adult life.  Crean is like John Stewart of the Daily Show.  For some reason every person in the world thinks he is the funniest and smartest person in the world, when realistically he is terrible!!!!   While a coach like Calipari is like Howard Stern, where everyone is allowed to critizize him but he produces the best product day in and day out!!!!!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
Yes I have also heard that

"WE are going to be great with all of our Guards returning blah blah blah!!!!

EVERY YEAR WE LOOK TOWARDS NEXT YEAR!!!!  FCK NEXT YEAR!!!!!

This team is to good to play like such crap.

We really screwed up this year as we did not improve at all since last year.

Crean needs to be held accountable for once in his adult life.  Crean is like John Stewart of the Daily Show.  For some reason every person in the world thinks he is the funniest and smartest person in the world, when realistically he is terrible!!!!   While a coach like Calipari is like Howard Stern, where everyone is allowed to critizize him but he produces the best product day in and day out!!!!!

I'm not a big fan of Jon Stewart, but Howard Stern sucks.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:58 PM »
I like John Stewart.

I also like the job Crean has done, but am frustrated with this team.  The team last year was awful down the stretch and I was convinced that Crean needed to change his approach as the constant flameouts at the end of the year have become too predictable. The lack of energy and hustle today was reminiscent of last years flameout.  If we play like that in the BE and NCAA tournaments, Crean will lose my support. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
I think if this team goes out on the first day of the Dance, TC will lose a lot of support everywhere.

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »
ecompt, you're right.  I have kind of been quietly sitting on the sidelines in the Crean argument.  I haven't been very critical of him - in fact, kind of in his "court" so to speak.  But, I'm thinking he has to make some noise in the next few weeks.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
The first half the refs absolutely killed Marquette.  You can't tell me a Big East Team commits 6 fouls in one half of basketball, that is absurd.  I don't think the players or Crean get any respect from the Officials.  Crean is very "accommodating" to the refs, much more so than Coach B.

That being said, have you ever seen such poor fundamentals in the second half?  Jumping in the air with the ball and no shot, leaving an impossible pass as the only option.  How about Fitz getting a turnover and passing it to Trend to run the break!  WTF! Bounce passes that don't bounce.  Hurried 3's.  I was at MU when Dukiet was there...sometimes it looks as ugly.  These guys are too good to be this careless. 

What will be the Three Amigos epitaphed?  "underachievers"?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
I think the Three Amigos acheived plenty in making us instant contenders in the BE. I also think the league has caught up with them, and none of the three is markedly better than his counterpart on any of the league's top four teams.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
Excellent point.  The league has caught up to our three amigos.  The way it should be is that the three should be considerably better than the last two years.  They should not have been caught up to.  Their athleticism has improved, their skills have not.  It is tough to win when the other BE teams seem to be constantly improving.  Look at UCONN over the last couple years.  Look at L'Ville this year.  We are moving slowly in the wrong direction.  I hate to say it (but I am used to it as a Cubs fan) but next year is our year.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
So I have come to the conclusion that unless we are playing on Friday night, we are going to be an 8 seed. Obviously it is all relative to the field, but with our somewhat limited success on the road, mediocre RPI, 3-8 (I think) record vs. teams going to the tournament, and so so record in our last 12 games, we don't really give the committee a whole lot to work with.

So if we survive the first one, which Number 1 do you want to play, UNC, Memphis, Tennessee, or UCLA? Does it matter?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
So if we survive the first one, which Number 1 do you want to play, UNC, Memphis, Tennessee, or UCLA? Does it matter?

I don't really care.  The #1 seed matchup would assume winning the first game.  Big assumption.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
Excellent point.  The league has caught up to our three amigos.  The way it should be is that the three should be considerably better than the last two years.  They should not have been caught up to.  Their athleticism has improved, their skills have not.  It is tough to win when the other BE teams seem to be constantly improving.  Look at UCONN over the last couple years.  Look at L'Ville this year.  We are moving slowly in the wrong direction.  I hate to say it (but I am used to it as a Cubs fan) but next year is our year.

So if the league has "caught up" to the three amigos, how did we win 11 games in the league....oh, and with the #2 schedule in the conference (perhaps #1 by end of today)?  Makes no sense.

Last year we played an easier Big East schedule...if we played last year's Big East schedule we probably win 13 Big East games this year.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Right I'd say we are a 6. 

Win the first game of BET and we are a 5.

Win the second game and we could reach a 4, but most likely stay at a 5.
agree with the first line. i think if we lose in the first round we get a 7. i disagree with the second line i think we need to beat shrek on thurs to get a 5 and make it to the final to get a 4

feedback