[October 21, 2024, 06:58:08 PM]

Shaka’s Dream Job is UVA by LloydsLegs
[October 21, 2024, 12:27:51 PM]

Server Upgrade by rocky_warrior
[October 21, 2024, 10:58:07 AM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] St. John's Preview by brewcity77
[October 21, 2024, 08:01:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2025 Mock Drafts  (Read 4262 times)

MU82

• All American
2025 Mock Drafts
« on: July 10, 2024, 08:18:43 AM »
Hard to believe, but they're starting already. And our guy Kam Jones figures to be a popular pick.

Let's get started with Kam going #22 in Sam Vecenie's mock for The Athletic:

One of my favorite players in college basketball the last two years, Jones is a legitimate three-level scorer at Marquette, with superb touch at all three. He averaged 17 points and shot obscenely efficiently, making 50 percent of his attempts from the field, 39 percent from 3 and 72 percent from the line. Marquette ran him off several dribble-handoff actions to get him downhill to his left, where he showed an ability to finish around the rim with scoop shots. He made 67 percent of his attempts at the basket, per Synergy. He also has a solid runner game, then can hit pull-up and catch-and-shoot 3s.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5580289/2024/07/10/2025-nba-mock-draft-cooper-flagg-dylan-harper-prospects/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail&userId=3738391

Vecenie also picks five Dookies in the first round, starting with Cooper Flagg (obvi) but also including Kon Knueppel at #16, saying: This is my big call in the 2025 class. Knueppel doesn’t necessarily look the part — at around 6-foot-6 and 205 pounds, he’s more wide than he is long — but he is one of my five favorite freshmen entering college basketball next season. What he lacks in what one may refer to as “traditional” athletic tools, he more than makes up for with polish, skill and competitiveness.

Yes, very traditional!

Also has 2 UConn guys getting picked: top recruit Liam McNeeley at #8 and Alex Karaban at #19.  and
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2025 Mock Drafts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 10:12:48 AM »
Vecenie loves him some college productivity in his mocks.  He's much higher on college guys than they typically go.

Kam's season is going to be very interesting.  As he notes, he's awesome on the dribble-handoff.  Now he's going to be handling the ball in the pick and roll much more.  He looked awesome doing it while Kolek was out.  If he can do that for a full season he'll be a first round pick.  My guess is an early second rounder.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 10:17:04 AM »
A difference will be he does not have Oso for the pick and roll.   When Joplin and Gold are in, there will be pick and pops and pulling the big out to the 3 pt line.  Hamilton, Parham, Amadou are all tbd.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 10:27:20 AM »
Hard to believe, but they're starting already. And our guy Kam Jones figures to be a popular pick.

Let's get started with Kam going #22 in Sam Vecenie's mock for The Athletic:

One of my favorite players in college basketball the last two years, Jones is a legitimate three-level scorer at Marquette, with superb touch at all three. He averaged 17 points and shot obscenely efficiently, making 50 percent of his attempts from the field, 39 percent from 3 and 72 percent from the line. Marquette ran him off several dribble-handoff actions to get him downhill to his left, where he showed an ability to finish around the rim with scoop shots. He made 67 percent of his attempts at the basket, per Synergy. He also has a solid runner game, then can hit pull-up and catch-and-shoot 3s.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5580289/2024/07/10/2025-nba-mock-draft-cooper-flagg-dylan-harper-prospects/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail&userId=3738391

Vecenie also picks five Dookies in the first round, starting with Cooper Flagg (obvi) but also including Kon Knueppel at #16, saying: This is my big call in the 2025 class. Knueppel doesn’t necessarily look the part — at around 6-foot-6 and 205 pounds, he’s more wide than he is long — but he is one of my five favorite freshmen entering college basketball next season. What he lacks in what one may refer to as “traditional” athletic tools, he more than makes up for with polish, skill and competitiveness.

Yes, very traditional!

Also has 2 UConn guys getting picked: top recruit Liam McNeeley at #8 and Alex Karaban at #19.  and

Another Wojo guy going to the NBA
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 11:00:43 AM »
A difference will be he does not have Oso for the pick and roll.   When Joplin and Gold are in, there will be pick and pops and pulling the big out to the 3 pt line.  Hamilton, Parham, Amadou are all tbd.

Very true, but Kam did have 23 points and 3 assists (and only 1 TO) in the game at Creighton when both Oso and TK were out. Gold went 1-for-8 from 3; a couple/few more makes and those woulda been more assists for Kam.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 11:10:06 AM »
Agreed.   And I am looking forward with optimism to this iteration
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 11:17:51 AM »
I’d be very surprised if Kariban goes in the first round next year - it’ll be a stronger draft than this year’s was.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 11:50:38 AM »
Agreed.   And I am looking forward with optimism to this iteration

I believe the "most threes in the country" per Militec's recruitment pitch.

Should be exciting to watch. I have a feeling Stevie is going to be in a heavier ball-handling role a lot this year too. I have no sources.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 11:51:54 AM »
Stronger at the top, for sure. When the NBA guys say 'weak draft' thats really what they mean. No Andrew wiggins/jabari parker/joel embiid to salivate over. This draft will probably still have like a dozen 10-year vets in it. Karaban was likely a second rounder last year and probably this year too. Might as well take the NIL at UCONN 1 more year than start a 2-way now, might even be comparable money.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 11:54:22 AM »
I believe the "most threes in the country" per Militec's recruitment pitch.

Should be exciting to watch. I have a feeling Stevie is going to be in a heavier ball-handling role a lot this year too. I have no sources.
I agree on Stevie.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 12:38:31 PM »
Vecenie loves him some college productivity in his mocks.  He's much higher on college guys than they typically go.

Kam's season is going to be very interesting.  As he notes, he's awesome on the dribble-handoff.  Now he's going to be handling the ball in the pick and roll much more.  He looked awesome doing it while Kolek was out.  If he can do that for a full season he'll be a first round pick.  My guess is an early second rounder.

sitting behind the basket at X gave me a nice perspective on Kam's PG skills. 34 points and 9 assists, 8 of 11 from inside the arc. Very Kolek like in his ability to drive the basket but he has more length to finish in traffic with his scoop shot at the rim while avoiding contact.  He was also 6-8 from inside the arc at Creighton when Kolek was out. At 6-5 if he primarily plays the point I think he's going to increase his draft standing.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2024, 04:37:46 PM »
Stronger at the top, for sure. When the NBA guys say 'weak draft' thats really what they mean. No Andrew wiggins/jabari parker/joel embiid to salivate over. This draft will probably still have like a dozen 10-year vets in it. Karaban was likely a second rounder last year and probably this year too. Might as well take the NIL at UCONN 1 more year than start a 2-way now, might even be comparable money.

Numerous 2nd-round picks in the '24 draft, including our own TK and Oso, received very nice guaranteed contracts worth well more than even the most outrageous NIL claims.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2024, 06:02:12 PM »
sitting behind the basket at X gave me a nice perspective on Kam's PG skills. 34 points and 9 assists, 8 of 11 from inside the arc. Very Kolek like in his ability to drive the basket but he has more length to finish in traffic with his scoop shot at the rim while avoiding contact.  He was also 6-8 from inside the arc at Creighton when Kolek was out. At 6-5 if he primarily plays the point I think he's going to increase his draft standing.
Me too Billy!

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2024, 06:11:23 PM »
Numerous 2nd-round picks in the '24 draft, including our own TK and Oso, received very nice guaranteed contracts worth well more than even the most outrageous NIL claims.

Sure, but they clearly had assurances from decision makers. I'm saying those decision makers likely gave no such assurances to Alex Karaban.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 08:11:17 PM »
Sure, but they clearly had assurances from decision makers. I'm saying those decision makers likely gave no such assurances to Alex Karaban.

It would appear not, though who really knows? Maybe next year they will give him such assurances.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2024, 09:56:22 PM »
I'm on record as being skeptical of Kam's future in the NBA. My thought process being that below-the-rim shooting guards aren't really a thing in the NBA unless they are 3 and D guys (Kam is half that).

But that was before we got treated to point-Kam at the end of last season. If that's repeatable over the course of the entire season, I think he will go in the first round.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2024, 10:30:25 PM »
Another Wojo guy going to the NBA

As long as he doesn’t coach ‘em.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2024, 10:21:39 AM »
TAMU

I actually thought Kam had a lot more to lose coming back then gain. I think he is going to have a very solid senior year, but concerned that has flaws might be exposed. I really hope I am wrong, and Kam improves his draft stock. Fingers crossed for him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2024, 11:17:15 AM »
Kam's talkin' lottery pick. Too bad he's not from France, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2024, 11:40:11 AM »
Kam's talkin' lottery pick. Too bad he's not from France, aina?

Correct.  He’d have gone through a proper developmental program instead of the ineffective and inefficient American system of athletic development.  But, hey, amateurism to entertain

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2024, 02:01:09 PM »
I actually thought Kam had a lot more to lose coming back then gain. I think he is going to have a very solid senior year, but concerned that has flaws might be exposed. I really hope I am wrong, and Kam improves his draft stock. Fingers crossed for him.

From what I was told, he was getting the vibes from NBA types that he probably wouldn't have been drafted had he left.

So, theoretically at least, he's the perfect example of a guy who should play another year of college ball - show that you can be the go-to guy for a ranked team; and while you're doing that, take the NIL money and get the degree.

Win-win-win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2024, 08:52:49 AM »
The latest mock draft from The Athletic's Sam Vecenie still has Kam going in the first round - this time, with the last pick:

30. Boston Celtics

Kam Jones | 6-4 wing | 23 years old | Marquette

Jones is a polished scorer who enters the college season as a real candidate to make an All-America team. He has superb touch from all three levels, and he made 67 percent of his shots at the rim and 39 percent from 3 last season. He also showed some real potential at lead guard during Tyler Kolek’s late-season absence, averaging 4.5 assists per game during that six-game stretch. NBA scouts would love to see him be more consistent as a playmaker as well as a better defensive presence. That’s the big question. Who does Jones guard? Can he prove he can guard ones? Is he big enough to guard wings? Showcasing real improvement there will be the key to solidifying his stock. But he seems like a good candidate to be drafted this season.

+++

Only two other Big East players, both wings from UConn, are projected to go in Round 1: Liam McNeeley (10th) and Alex Karaban (19th).

Kon Knueppel is projected to go 9th - one behind Georgia forward Asa Newell, who figures to be a handful for MU at Atlantis.

At 23, Kam is the oldest player in Vecenie's first round. Most of the projected picks are 19.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2024, 08:55:12 AM »
The latest mock draft from The Athletic's Sam Vecenie still has Kam going in the first round - this time, with the last pick:

30. Boston Celtics

Kam Jones | 6-4 wing | 23 years old | Marquette

Jones is a polished scorer who enters the college season as a real candidate to make an All-America team. He has superb touch from all three levels, and he made 67 percent of his shots at the rim and 39 percent from 3 last season. He also showed some real potential at lead guard during Tyler Kolek’s late-season absence, averaging 4.5 assists per game during that six-game stretch. NBA scouts would love to see him be more consistent as a playmaker as well as a better defensive presence. That’s the big question. Who does Jones guard? Can he prove he can guard ones? Is he big enough to guard wings? Showcasing real improvement there will be the key to solidifying his stock. But he seems like a good candidate to be drafted this season.

+++

Only two other Big East players, both wings from UConn, are projected to go in Round 1: Liam McNeeley (10th) and Alex Karaban (19th).

Kon Knueppel is projected to go 9th - one behind Georgia forward Asa Newell, who figures to be a handful for MU at Atlantis.

At 23, Kam is the oldest player in Vecenie's first round. Most of the projected picks are 19.

He won’t get drafted.  Needs to come back for Covid year, even though he isn’t eligible for one

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2024, 09:00:07 AM »
He won’t get drafted.  Needs to come back for Covid year, even though he isn’t eligible for one

I'm curious how many people will come back for a COVID year next year. While most people are saying this is the last year of COVID eligibility, that's not exactly true. If someone played during a freshman year in 2020-21, then took a redshirt in any of 2022, 2023, 2024, or this year, they would be eligible for an additional year in 2025-26. Going to be a small pool, but I'm guessing it's non-zero.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2024, 09:02:00 AM »
I'm curious how many people will come back for a COVID year next year. While most people are saying this is the last year of COVID eligibility, that's not exactly true. If someone played during a freshman year in 2020-21, then took a redshirt in any of 2022, 2023, 2024, or this year, they would be eligible for an additional year in 2025-26. Going to be a small pool, but I'm guessing it's non-zero.

Half of them will play for UW-Madison