[October 21, 2024, 06:58:08 PM]

Shaka’s Dream Job is UVA by LloydsLegs
[October 21, 2024, 12:27:51 PM]

Server Upgrade by rocky_warrior
[October 21, 2024, 10:58:07 AM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] St. John's Preview by brewcity77
[October 21, 2024, 08:01:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What’s your commute?  (Read 5001 times)

JWags85

• All American
What’s your commute?
« on: June 19, 2024, 04:07:11 PM »
With the next phase of the WFH/hybrid discussion popping up, I’m curious what everyone’s commute is (or would be if they went to the office provided they live local)?

I’m always shocked when you see people on social media talking about how they would never go back to the office cause their commute was “easily 2 hours each morning” or “3.5-4 hours round trip everyday”.  Granted people lie and exaggerate to prove their point, but I would think there is at least some element of truth.  But empirically, I’ve really known nothing like that. 

My current commute is 5-7 min each way.  The longest in the office is probably 15 min each way.  When we were still in Wisconsin, it was about the same and even our CFO coming to the north suburbs from Brookfield only had about 25 min and he was by far the longest (a former employee came from Hartford, so that was probably close)

But my siblings in Dallas, DC, and NYC have nowhere close to an hour.  My youngest sister used to live on the UES and worked at 1 World Trade and got there pretty consistently in under 45 min at worst.

When I lived in Chicago, my worst commute was 2 buses or a bus and a long walk and that was probably 45 min on a bad traffic day.  But I had coworkers coming in from Barrington and Tinley Park on the Metra and getting to the office in around an hour. Hell, my second to last office was in Streeterville and I had a coworker who had the Metra, the water taxi, and then a bus to get to the office and she still was under an hour.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: What’s your commute?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 04:11:40 PM »
20 miles each way, on average takes 25 minutes (40ish at the worst).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 04:15:47 PM »
With the next phase of the WFH/hybrid discussion popping up, I’m curious what everyone’s commute is (or would be if they went to the office provided they live local)?

I’m always shocked when you see people on social media talking about how they would never go back to the office cause their commute was “easily 2 hours each morning” or “3.5-4 hours round trip everyday”.  Granted people lie and exaggerate to prove their point, but I would think there is at least some element of truth.  But empirically, I’ve really known nothing like that. 

My current commute is 5-7 min each way.  The longest in the office is probably 15 min each way.  When we were still in Wisconsin, it was about the same and even our CFO coming to the north suburbs from Brookfield only had about 25 min and he was by far the longest (a former employee came from Hartford, so that was probably close)

But my siblings in Dallas, DC, and NYC have nowhere close to an hour.  My youngest sister used to live on the UES and worked at 1 World Trade and got there pretty consistently in under 45 min at worst.

When I lived in Chicago, my worst commute was 2 buses or a bus and a long walk and that was probably 45 min on a bad traffic day.  But I had coworkers coming in from Barrington and Tinley Park on the Metra and getting to the office in around an hour. Hell, my second to last office was in Streeterville and I had a coworker who had the Metra, the water taxi, and then a bus to get to the office and she still was under an hour.

My driver would know better than me
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 04:16:42 PM »
12-15 minutes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 04:18:59 PM »
40 feet from BR to office (7 seconds).  Work from home.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 04:21:20 PM »

Eliminate mass transit as an option like here in ATL and see what your commutes mentioned above look like. I am now WFH thank god but I took a job last summer in west midtown ATL and from northern ‘burbs it was easily an hour to 1:15 each way.  That’s in the summer without school busses and related traffic issues. Longest it ever took was 2 hours (one way). Company owner was adamant about being in office four days/week, even though all I did was sit on teams calls with people in other offices all day. It was a crap show. 

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 05:13:43 PM »
15-20 if I go in non rush hour. 30 or so peak rush hour

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 05:14:53 PM »
The last 5 years I worked, I walked 10 minutes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2024, 05:46:19 PM »
A flight of stairs from my bedroom to my kitchen table.  Sometimes a few extra steps to my back deck when the weather cooperates.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2024, 05:48:04 PM »
5 miles. Takes 15 minutes door to door. 1 roundabout, 1 stoplight, 1 stop sign. Come home for lunch every day.

Wish there was a safe bike route, but back roads that wind with no shoulder and 55 MPH speed limits make that a no go.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2024, 05:48:26 PM »
Current commute: Down a flight of stairs, with occasional office visits 30 minutes away.
Former commute: Various locations, the nearest being about 35 minutes from home, the furthest almost an hour.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2024, 06:00:37 PM »
15-20 if I go in non rush hour. 30 or so peak rush hour

Same.

Edit: that's been my commute living here in Indianapolis the last 8 years. Prior to that, in Chicago, it was 30min-2 hours

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2024, 06:12:56 PM »
Same.

Edit: that's been my commute living here in Indianapolis the last 8 years. Prior to that, in Chicago, it was 30min-2 hours

I also have an understanding with my boss that coming into the office could mean waiting until the morning calls with the east coast are finished up and traffic is subsided. The flexibility is great. (In 2-3 days a week but only one mandatory day). If I were on the west side of Portland it would probably take an hour

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2024, 06:34:06 PM »
5 minutes to my office from home. One of the reasons I decided to settle in MKE after a rough commute by car in Chicago for a number of years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2024, 06:50:03 PM »
15-20 minutes each way. Prior to my moving office to downtown MKE, it was six minute walk or one minute drive.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2024, 06:56:08 PM »

Same for me for last 20 years. Pre Covid, it was on a plane at least twice a month. Now more like once every couple of months, there are  less folks in the office anymore and are comfortable with Teams/Zoom.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 10:17:32 PM by pbiflyer »

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2024, 08:31:45 PM »
48 miles in 50 minutes twice a day from my rural property to Madison. 
Used to be same distance commute to Milwaukee, but with traffic.

No traffic and 5 minutes of city driving.  Stream a book on tape or podcast and the miles fly by.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2024, 08:36:06 PM »
Less than 10 minutes door to door. 15 minutes if it’s a nice day and I take my motorcycle (I refuse to ride on I-95 unless it 100% necessary).

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2024, 08:43:15 PM »

Same. But I head downstairs for coffee first, which triples my commute distance.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2024, 08:46:58 PM »
25ish minutes each way. I have to go in Tues-Thurs. Been using that time to listen to some audio books.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2024, 08:52:18 PM »
When I still lived in Libertyville, it was 1:20 door to door. Now, it’s about 40 feet door to door.

When I come back for the summer, it’s a 10 minute walk from my condo to the El and a 15 minute ride to the Mart. It’s then 10 minutes to my office.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2024, 11:44:16 PM »
1 mile. Typically walk 15-20 minutes from May through October. Drive more in the winter.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2024, 01:05:25 AM »
Depends on if I left my laptop next to my bed or in my office.

Pre-work from home, my longest commute was 10 minutes in the morning, 20-30 minutes in the evening (during the academic year). 5 minutes both ways during the summer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2024, 07:20:34 AM »
20 min

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 08:42:41 AM »
11 miles 3 days a week.  Stairs to the basement 2 days a week.

If I take the train, a 7 minute drive to train plus 3 minute walk from where I park, 16 minute train ride, 8 minute walk= 35 minutes.

If I drive, 22 minutes if no traffic, up to 40 with traffic, plus 2 minute walk. So 24 to 42 minutes.  Hybrid gets me there and back without gas 5 months of the year.  In dead of winter, it only gets me a one-way, and I can charge (first 2 hours free which usually gets me enough, but I have to go to my car and unplug).

Been in the same house 35 years; same office for 23 (and 3 other downtown offices previously).  I've used two different train lines and two different El lines depending on various.  And drive is different almost every time if there is traffic.  Not reliant on the highway.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 08:45:50 AM by LloydsLegs »