[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What’s your commute?  (Read 5059 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: What’s your commute?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2024, 01:11:06 PM »
Or live closer to your current one.

Hah, my employer keeps relocating the office farther away. We've moved twice since I started and each was further than the last. Closer for him though, hmm.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2024, 01:21:12 PM »
Hah, my employer keeps relocating the office farther away. We've moved twice since I started and each was further than the last. Closer for him though, hmm.

I mean, I don't know the timeframe, but it's hard to keep a crack house in the same location too long...

;D

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2024, 01:53:21 PM »
Geez. I actually agree with you that employees who have to commute should get some sort of financial recognition of that time spent. But youre reaction to seeing someone else find a good situation is to lash out and say they should be miserable like me instead of focusing on how you can improve things for yourself and others in your situation.

I probably have come off of full unrestricted WFH a little bit over the past few years, but that’s because of some challenging experiences training people and getting appropriate focus over a teams call.

As someone who was full remote for like 6 years before it blew up in Covid, I have very distinct things I do better in an office that doesn’t have the distractions of my home (ie doing chores and such). However if I’m going to be on calls for 6 hours in a day, why go to my office and distract people?

I think anyone fully against remote for fully computer based jobs are usually just upset that there can’t be overbearing supervision. I think of my old boss who made it clear I needed to log at minimum 45 salaried hours in a week and if I had an appointment to make it up. Currently, I work 55 hours one week, and sign off at 3 on other days because things can wait. It’s a role based on making sure things are done on time, if it takes less then great! It is a company that has embraced that global economies have made standard hours a much less important thing. (I am also insanely productive at like 10 pm for whatever reason)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2024, 02:40:53 PM »
I worked from home for a few months during COVID and worked fully remotely when I moved out of Milwaukee for a few months.  I got stir crazy with both, and am happy to be in the office 5 days a week.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2024, 02:50:39 PM »
Is there a closer McDonald’s u could transfer to?

WFH 2x / week. Love it.

Office 3x / week. Light to normal traffic 26-28 mins each way. Tough traffic 35-40.

Until 2 years ago, lived 2 blocks from office. If I timed the lights wrong, could be looking at a max of 4 min commute.
REJOICE! Eric Dixon has been suspended!!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2024, 03:17:01 PM »
Commutes were better listening to Rush on the radio.

Geddy Lee certain had a remarkable voice
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2024, 03:21:03 PM »
I'm in the office 5 days / week. We're 100% in bc some staff cannot do their jobs remote so for moral we all come in.  I totally understand WFH but for us being around each, the collaboration etc, it makes sense.

My commute is about 15 minutes. WFB to MKE.  It's longer on the way home bc 'Topper charges a toll to return.

While I would not mind more windshield time to get deeper into a podcast, I like knowing that if I forgot my laptop or lunch, my non rush hour trip home is 10 minutes.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2024, 03:31:45 PM »
I'm in the office 5 days / week. We're 100% in bc some staff cannot do their jobs remote so for moral we all come in. 

I can understand doing it for morale, but it sure it’s an exercise of morality.
REJOICE! Eric Dixon has been suspended!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2024, 03:34:05 PM »
We allow WFH up to two days a week. I rarely use it except on summer Fridays when we close at noon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2024, 04:20:58 PM »
I can understand doing it for morale, but it sure it’s an exercise of morality.
He meant these:

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2024, 05:29:10 PM »
Depends can walk two blocks to the blue line for a 45min commute or bike  a mile to green line and it'll take 35min. Usually blue in winter green in summer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2024, 06:27:39 PM »
25min there, 35min home. In the office 5 days/week and I love it. We all suffer together!  :P

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2024, 06:42:45 PM »
My office is my Lincoln

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2024, 06:52:23 PM »
Geez. I actually agree with you that employees who have to commute should get some sort of financial recognition of that time spent. But youre reaction to seeing someone else find a good situation is to lash out and say they should be miserable like me instead of focusing on how you can improve things for yourself and others in your situation.

Pretty common reaction.

"If I've had to suffer, everyone should."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2024, 06:53:26 PM »
You better get used it.  WFH saves everyone time and money, and productivity isn't impacted.

Productivity isn't impacted? Weren't there lots of studies and articles after the pandemic ended that demonstrated WFH was less productive than in-office work?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2024, 07:31:03 PM »
Productivity isn't impacted? Weren't there lots of studies and articles after the pandemic ended that demonstrated WFH was less productive than in-office work?

The results of studies, looking back, have been widely mixed whether teleworking is a productivity boost or hindrance.

https://www.frbsf.org/research-and-insights/publications/economic-letter/2024/01/does-working-from-home-boost-productivity-growth/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2024, 05:52:02 AM »
My office is my Lincoln

The Lincoln Lawyer of MUScoip

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2024, 11:47:29 AM »
I worked from home for a few months during COVID and worked fully remotely when I moved out of Milwaukee for a few months.  I got stir crazy with both, and am happy to be in the office 5 days a week.

Agreed wades.

My unsolicited opinion is that full WFH doesn't work long term.  You can take a snapshot that is even a few years long, and productivity may not dip very much.  But imo you can't effectively train, teach, and mentor remotely, and skills development and work satisfaction craters if businesses go fully remote through hiring cycles.  A lot of professions have cut the margins on their employees' time so thin that there are crises of mentorship as it is, and expecting 20-somethings to develop a professional career (and in many cases the connecctions to develop a book of business) fully remotely isn't going to end well.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2024, 02:42:42 PM »
My commute was a little more than 3 miles but my company split and the local office where I worked was sold off, but I remained with the company.  So now it is just downstairs, as the closest facility is 2.5 hours away.

I am one who liked going in the office, especially since my commute was less than 10 minutes.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2024, 02:25:24 PM »

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2024, 03:12:21 PM »
The climate control at my home is way better than the office. Plus I can wear gym shorts and a t-shirt and just throw on a nicer shirt when a Zoom pops up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2024, 03:40:13 PM »
The climate control at my home is way better than the office. Plus I can wear gym shorts and a t-shirt and just throw on a nicer shirt when a Zoom pops up.

Anyone who would be forced to be anywhere near you at the office is undoubtedly grateful that you’re in your basement in your underwear.

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2024, 03:42:44 PM »
Anyone who would be forced to be anywhere near you at the office is undoubtedly grateful that you’re in your basement in your underwear.

Close. I don’t have a basement.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2024, 04:54:43 PM »

Me too but the meme made me laugh regardless

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2024, 04:55:48 PM »

Give up caffeine again Lenny?