[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Level  (Read 7405 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Next Level
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 08:21:17 PM »
I think this is a very important offseason and next recruiting class for Shaka. The last three years have been building the foundation and it is time to build off of that. I do not think you can count on catching lightning in a bottle, like Shaka did with Omax, TK and Oso, and the level of HS players and/or portal guys need to continue to get better.

Part of the beauty of the last three years was having guys we watched grow up and improve at crazy levels. Now, I love Shaka, but I do not believe he has Oso and TK type of improvement magic in his back pocket. The program is now at a fork in the road, and I am anxious to see if it Shaka sticks with his plan.

To be honest, the last two years were an unreal feel good story and we sucked every ounce out of it. IMO, we need to up the recruiting and at least dabble in the portal. If not, we will be cheering feel good stories every handful of years, but not hitting the next level. Hell, I am good with whatever Shaka decides, but he put the program in a great spot and hope he builds on it.
What do you mean by catching lightning in a bottle? Do you think that is what Shaka did?
He would call it developing his players.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 08:33:57 PM »
I think this is a very important offseason and next recruiting class for Shaka. The last three years have been building the foundation and it is time to build off of that. I do not think you can count on catching lightning in a bottle, like Shaka did with Omax, TK and Oso, and the level of HS players and/or portal guys need to continue to get better.

Part of the beauty of the last three years was having guys we watched grow up and improve at crazy levels. Now, I love Shaka, but I do not believe he has Oso and TK type of improvement magic in his back pocket. The program is now at a fork in the road, and I am anxious to see if it Shaka sticks with his plan.

To be honest, the last two years were an unreal feel good story and we sucked every ounce out of it. IMO, we need to up the recruiting and at least dabble in the portal. If not, we will be cheering feel good stories every handful of years, but not hitting the next level. Hell, I am good with whatever Shaka decides, but he put the program in a great spot and hope he builds on it.
Goose…imo, lightning in a bottle was probably more-so Crean w/DWade. I do agree that we need to up the recruiting. Maybe Shaka & staff have with the incoming freshmen. However, counting on freshmen to contribute is dicey. But, I feel like we are due to have a frosh be a stud outta the gate. I also think it would be foolish to ignore the portal, and I don’t think Shaka will. Having a taste of the second weekend, we all want more…and I’m confident speaking for all on Scoop…including Sultan…that a backslide to mid-pack BE and bubble team status will be frustrating.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2024, 08:36:22 PM »
o
Goose

You were all in on the Shaka/Kolek/OMax/Oso train long before Fluffy (and just about everyone else). And, of course, like you, Rico, Frenns, Muggsy, etc., know that Shaka will prove adaptable because it is what successful people do. Fluffy will remain stubborn. And wrong. Because it’s what people like Fluffy do. It’s in the DNA.

😂😂😂 You’re the guy who insisted I was “wrong” on the Bill Self compensation…and then slunk away like without a peep after I posted evidence that I was indeed correct.

Even when you’re sure you finally got me…you didn’t. Sad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:38:59 PM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2024, 08:39:24 PM »
Yeah, I thought we were out on Allen. Would love one of him or Stevens and like you said, either Lewis or James would be a great get.

We have at least 4 to give in 2025.  With the way Shaka prefers HS recruiting, and other teams are avoiding it, i wonder if he takes 4 in 2025.

PG Lewis or James
2G  Stevens or Batemon
G/F  Allen or Batemon
F  Miletic

Some combo of 4 of those 6, combined with Owens and Parham in 2024 would have me stoked about the future.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2024, 08:41:12 PM »
Shaka knows there is zero excuse for a rebuild year in this day and age. He’s more than earned the right to do it his way. Whether that’s through player development and retention or through the portal. It doesn’t matter to me how we get from Point A (today) to Point B (next march). I expect we’ll have a competing team we can be proud of one way or the other.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2024, 08:41:57 PM »
Muggsy

Do not challenge Fluff. He knows all.

Always have to make it personal don’t you.

Really insecure I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 08:47:42 PM »
Shaka knows there is zero excuse for a rebuild year in this day and age. He’s more than earned the right to do it his way. Whether that’s through player development and retention or through the portal. It doesn’t matter to me how we get from Point A (today) to Point B (next march). I expect we’ll have a competing team we can be proud of one way or the other.
agreed. Just win! btw, Marquette has always put players in the pros…Crean, Buzz, Wojo, Shaka…would be great to reach a F4 considering the pro talent we’ve had over the past 25 yrs. Just sayin’.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 08:49:40 PM »
Strategies have to be adaptable based on the turnover of the roster. 

If f course they will be. But at his core he’s going to follow the blueprint that made Marquette successful the last two years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2024, 08:50:58 PM »

Really insecure I guess.

Says the guy who ALWAYS makes it personal. Not even a scintilla of self awareness. Sad.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2024, 08:53:08 PM »
Says the guy who ALWAYS makes it personal. Not even a scintilla of self awareness. Sad.

Ah Lenny’s. Always attacking the messenger. But that’s what you do.

Anyway I had my fun today proving your absolute assertion was hilariously wrong. Like a cat playing with a mouse for amusement.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 08:56:58 PM »

😂😂😂 You’re the guy who insisted I was “wrong” on the Bill Self compensation…and then slunk away like without a peep after I posted evidence that I was indeed correct.

Even when you’re sure you finally got me…you didn’t. Sad.

You were right. Your information was more current than mine. It happens sometimes, abeit infrequently. Congratulations. Further congratulations for staying true to form and being an a$$hole about it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 08:59:18 PM »
What do you mean by catching lightning in a bottle? Do you think that is what Shaka did?
He would call it developing his players.
Agreed.  I really struggle with expectations given MU's resources.  I don't know what MU has for NIL, but I've read and spoke with mid-major coaches saying their guys are being offered $400-$700k.  I know specifically of one kid, a big from the ASUN, offered in that $400k range to be an emergency back-up at an SEC school.  I believe  Oates said he'll have $5 million at his disposal.  So the portal may be an option for MU, but I think it's a really tricky situation for a school like MU.  I firmly believe that Shaka is stretching MU $$$ as well as any coach could.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 09:02:45 PM »
You were right. Your information was more current than mine. It happens sometimes, abeit infrequently. Congratulations. Further congratulations for staying true to form and being an a$$hole about it.

The best part about it was you were so sure of yourself, that you used the simple word “Wrong.”

Only to be let down by an easy Google search. That’s rough.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 09:05:20 PM »
The best part about it was you were so sure of yourself, that you used the simple word “Wrong.”

Only to be let down by an easy Google search. That’s rough.

I mean how hard would it have been to look it up? The information was nearly five months old. But I guess in the rush to get Fluffy, corners were cut.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:07 PM »
Sultans of various kinds, Fluffys, Hippies and whateverI forgot! This is getting confusing. Who’s on 1st, what’s on 2nd…………………..

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 10:41:18 PM »

100% agree. And agree on TK and Oso, and the others, being a unique experience that if one assumes it will always work out that way, they are being naive.

I think Shaka's general plan will remain the same. Recruit guys that fit together, and fit his system and plan on developing them. You will always hope for a situation, where they develop, and play together seamlessly like TK and Oso, but also realize that things don't always work out, and you have to have a plan B, and C, and D.

I have no doubt that Shaka will adapt accordingly, plan first on developing internally, but also use the portal when needed and things don't go 100% to plan.

As you correctly indicate, the next recruiting class, and how he builds that next squad (portal or otherwise) is the next big step for the program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2024, 10:55:42 PM »
I mean how hard would it have been to look it up? The information was nearly five months old. But I guess in the rush to get Fluffy, corners were cut.

Paranoia strikes deep

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2024, 01:47:13 AM »
We R FF

Of course TK, Oso and others are great examples of player development and big time credit goes to Shaka, his staff and the players. That said, and I hope I am wrong, developing two guys to the same level of TK and Oso is going to be virtually impossible. More importantly, the complimentary style of their games might never be seen again.

If you expecting to see similar type development of two unique players that were attached at the hip, you likely have a long wait ahead of you. That is why I started the thread. The foundation was built in warp speed, now we will see how Shaka build on it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2024, 05:53:43 AM »

Really insecure I guess.

Didn’t you mock me for being a mascot in another thread?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2024, 06:21:28 AM »
Man, it's really a treat to slog through all this ad hominem crap. Shaka's gonna do what Shaka's gonna do.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2024, 06:47:55 AM »
Didn’t you mock me for being a mascot in another thread?

Yes. Now go off and entertain the children and let’s the adults talk here ok?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2024, 07:01:13 AM »
Why would Shaka change his plan? It worked.

As stated earlier, Shaka caught lightning in a bottle.  Now, it's going to be up to  his recruiting/development that is relied upon. 

Do you think that Shaka maximized our potential the last two years?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2024, 07:02:16 AM »
56-17 says yes.   Remember, 18 months ago, MU was picked 9th in the Big East.   Then he ran it back despite a run of injuries and illness.   Don't equate a poorly timed abysmal shooting day with underachieving.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:05:01 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2024, 07:14:11 AM »
I think Shaka gets an A+++ for maximizing the potential over the last two years. Now, I am hoping there are better players coming to MU and they do not need to overachieve. I think the last two years were worked to perfection by all parties in the program.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2024, 07:25:37 AM »

So you want Shaka to deviate from his plan that has brought success the last 3 years?  Deviate from the plan that was built after his time at Texas that proved to not work, and thus he developed his current plan?