'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Level  (Read 7407 times)

Goose

• All American
Next Level
« on: April 10, 2024, 05:24:06 PM »
I think this is a very important offseason and next recruiting class for Shaka. The last three years have been building the foundation and it is time to build off of that. I do not think you can count on catching lightning in a bottle, like Shaka did with Omax, TK and Oso, and the level of HS players and/or portal guys need to continue to get better.

Part of the beauty of the last three years was having guys we watched grow up and improve at crazy levels. Now, I love Shaka, but I do not believe he has Oso and TK type of improvement magic in his back pocket. The program is now at a fork in the road, and I am anxious to see if it Shaka sticks with his plan.

To be honest, the last two years were an unreal feel good story and we sucked every ounce out of it. IMO, we need to up the recruiting and at least dabble in the portal. If not, we will be cheering feel good stories every handful of years, but not hitting the next level. Hell, I am good with whatever Shaka decides, but he put the program in a great spot and hope he builds on it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:27:39 PM by Goose »

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Next Level
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 05:29:51 PM »
Agree with most of this. Shaka must step up the recruiting and land some studs to keep up with Jones.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 05:31:31 PM »
Agree with most of this. Shaka must step up the recruiting and land some studs to keep up with Jones.

Johnny Jones isn’t coaching anymore
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 05:53:20 PM »
The Owens/Parham class looks like a great start. 

I know it's scattered throughout the recruiting thread but I'm not sure off the top of my head who the biggest targets are for this next class.

I know we're in on some highly-regards point guards.

Sounds like we're in a really good place with Ian Miletic from RMHS (would also like to see this as I went there)

Don't remember what other wings we are focused on.

We're not really focused on bigs for this class, right? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 07:03:39 PM »
Parham and Owens should be a great class. Add a portal PG and we should be a strong team again next year.

Give me a 2025 class of Nyk Lewis, Adrien Stevens, and Ian Miletic and we’ll be in good shape going forward.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 07:11:33 PM »
I think this is a very important offseason and next recruiting class for Shaka. The last three years have been building the foundation and it is time to build off of that. I do not think you can count on catching lightning in a bottle, like Shaka did with Omax, TK and Oso, and the level of HS players and/or portal guys need to continue to get better.

Part of the beauty of the last three years was having guys we watched grow up and improve at crazy levels. Now, I love Shaka, but I do not believe he has Oso and TK type of improvement magic in his back pocket. The program is now at a fork in the road, and I am anxious to see if it Shaka sticks with his plan.

To be honest, the last two years were an unreal feel good story and we sucked every ounce out of it. IMO, we need to up the recruiting and at least dabble in the portal. If not, we will be cheering feel good stories every handful of years, but not hitting the next level. Hell, I am good with whatever Shaka decides, but he put the program in a great spot and hope he builds on it.

Correct Goose.  I would like to add s big and a PG. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 07:17:01 PM »
Why would Shaka change his plan? It worked.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 07:23:05 PM »
Fluff

Well, I do not believe you land or keep two guys like TK and Oso and have this type of success often. I loved it, but think it might have been a once in a career occurrence.

I think that once in a career event changes everything for Shaka. His recruiting philosophy is far different than it was at Texas and it could change again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:26:03 PM by Goose »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 07:27:54 PM »
Everything about the last two years reinforces his philosophy. He’s said as much. Primarily recruit and develop - add from the portal if it fits a need and the culture.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 07:30:40 PM »
Parham and Owens should be a great class. Add a portal PG and we should be a strong team again next year.

Give me a 2025 class of Nyk Lewis, Adrien Stevens, and Ian Miletic and we’ll be in good shape going forward.

Lewis, Stevens, and Miletic would be a homerun class.  Nigel James is another bigtime PG option.  So, either Lewis or James is fine by me.

If 2025 ends up being a 4 player class, give me Jamarion Batemon as well.  Bigtime shooter, but I think his handle needs work.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 07:34:14 PM »
Fluff

Again, there is not many bigger fans of Shaka than I am, but if he is betting on having the same success as he has had the past two seasons, I think that is a big gamble.

In addition, if S16 is the ceiling for a dream two seasons then expectations need to be adjusted. I would bet a lot of money that he will never have two special players peak at the same time he has the last two years.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 07:37:12 PM »
Can’t wait to see who Shaka adds to the program and also looking forward to seeing how the returning players develop over the offseason.  In particular, I am really excited for the return of a healthy Sean.  Losing him this season was a huge blow.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024, 07:39:27 PM »
Lewis, Stevens, and Miletic would be a homerun class.  Nigel James is another bigtime PG option.  So, either Lewis or James is fine by me.

If 2025 ends up being a 4 player class, give me Jamarion Batemon as well.  Bigtime shooter, but I think his handle needs work.

Amari Allen too.  He will be visiting soon and he's started this AAU season really strong.  Really versatile forward who would pair well with Miletic at the 3/4 spots.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 07:47:06 PM »

Because it is unlikely that he will have as many open scholarships as he had Y1, when he brought in OMax, Kur, Tyler and Morsell. With fewer openings, he'll need to be more strategic in filling gaps, even if he retains his principal approach of recruit and develop.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 07:50:47 PM »

Strategies have to be adaptable based on the turnover of the roster. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 07:51:23 PM »
Muggsy

Do not challenge Fluff. He knows all.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 07:53:56 PM »
With one open spot, I think the priority is a big man. I know people worry about not having a PG on the roster, but Kam averaged 4.5 apg while Tyler was out and Tyler came in as a shooting guard. Kam is much better suited and schooled in the sytem to take over the PG duties than Tyler was in 2021 when he arrived. Adding in Stevie and Tre Norman as additional ball-handlers gives us enough experience and skill to run the offense. I think reinforcing the front court is the bigger need.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 07:57:35 PM »
Strategies have to be adaptable based on the turnover of the roster.

He’ll be adaptable.  People have read way too much into what Shaka said.  No coach will ignore the portal.

The core of the roster will be his guys he recruited.  When necessary, he’ll add players.  I just wouldn’t expect him to build his roster solely on the portal.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 08:00:20 PM »
If Shaka isn’t adaptable it would shock me. He’s been adaptable to his roster every year in either construction or how he designs the game plan to win.

He doesn’t strike me as a coach that doesn’t embrace the pressure to win. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 08:07:52 PM »
Amari Allen too.  He will be visiting soon and he's started this AAU season really strong.  Really versatile forward who would pair well with Miletic at the 3/4 spots.

Didn't realize Marquette was still recruiting Allen.  Since he didn't visit during the season (as far as I know), I had assumed Shaka was focusing elsewhere.

Like you said, Allen was terrific last weekend.  Another recruit I'd love to see at Marquette.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 08:10:03 PM »
UConn is the new model and we are already replicating much of it. You need to have an unwavering culture/value system/approach and a specific way of doing everything.  Incoming players whether they’re straight of high school or transfers have to commit to it. Your attrition is either guys who can’t handle the expectations or “matriculate” to the NBA. It doesn’t mean you need burger boy recruits, it just means you need guys that are all in.

I love the mix of players Hurley has brought in to UConn. Whether they played their first college game for UConn or not, they are all bought in to the culture and the system. Shaka didn’t have that at Texas but he can have it at MU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 08:10:28 PM »
Can’t wait to see who Shaka adds to the program and also looking forward to seeing how the returning players develop over the offseason.  In particular, I am really excited for the return of a healthy Sean.  Losing him this season was a huge blow.

Unless something changes, you're going to be waiting a long time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2024, 08:14:38 PM »
Didn't realize Marquette was still recruiting Allen.  Since he didn't visit during the season (as far as I know), I had assumed Shaka was focusing elsewhere.

Like you said, Allen was terrific last weekend.  Another recruit I'd love to see at Marquette.

Yeah, I thought we were out on Allen. Would love one of him or Stevens and like you said, either Lewis or James would be a great get.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2024, 08:15:14 PM »
100%. UConn is Jones.  MU had a nice season, for sure. However, I doubt Hurley would ever be satisfied with a Sweet 16. Hopefully Shaka isn’t either.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 08:15:57 PM »
o
Fluff

Again, there is not many bigger fans of Shaka than I am, but if he is betting on having the same success as he has had the past two seasons, I think that is a big gamble.

In addition, if S16 is the ceiling for a dream two seasons then expectations need to be adjusted. I would bet a lot of money that he will never have two special players peak at the same time he has the last two years.

Goose

You were all in on the Shaka/Kolek/OMax/Oso train long before Fluffy (and just about everyone else). And, of course, like you, Rico, Frenns, Muggsy, etc., know that Shaka will prove adaptable because it is what successful people do. Fluffy will remain stubborn. And wrong. Because it’s what people like Fluffy do. It’s in the DNA.

feedback