Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upon Further Reflection...  (Read 5111 times)

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
Upon Further Reflection...
« on: April 01, 2024, 06:36:30 PM »
As a matter of perspective, five of our 10 losses were to the Final Four Teams. 1 to Sweet 16 Team (away), 1 to another tournament team (away). 1 to a team on course to win the NIT (away). I let my disappointment get the better of me.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Upon Further Reflection...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 06:47:04 PM »
As a matter of perspective, five of our 10 losses were to the Final Four Teams. 1 to Sweet 16 Team (away), 1 to another tournament team (away). 1 to a team on course to win the NIT (away). I let my disappointment get the better of me.
Thats the truth. Was a heckuva season. Bottom line.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 07:27:22 PM »
Yes.   Much to celebrate and be proud of.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 07:40:01 PM »
Sweet sixteen is nothing to scoff at for this fan. Confident we’ll have more shots at the 3rd weekend in the near future.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 07:53:43 PM »
Very proud of this  team in ALL ways….they fought the good fight every game for themselves, for the team, for Marquette, for us.  They were not only connected together, they were connected with us.   Go Marquette! 

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 09:30:50 PM »

It’s never made any sense that a win or two more in a one and done tournament makes the difference between feeling good about or disappointed in your college basketball team.  There is way too much emphasis on a post season, single elimination format which relies on a group of people that determines whom you play and where you play them.  Such is life in college hoops.  I choose to take a comprehensive view of the season, and from my vantage point this year was another Marquette success story.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 09:46:17 PM »
Can we feel proud about what was unquestionably a success story AND also be massively disappointed about “unfinished business”?

I hope so because that’s how I feel … and I’m pretty sure Shaka and his players have a similar combination of feelings.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 09:47:09 PM »
Yet what I’m hearing is that many of the MU fans on this board would have been happier being fans of FAU or NC State the last two years.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:11:43 PM by wisblue »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 08:02:24 AM »
Yet what I’m hearing is that many of the MU fans on this board would have been happier being fans of FAU or NC State the last two years.

I am fine with how '22-'23 turned out.  A regular season and BET championship were fantastic.

But I would much rather have had NC State's results this year than Marquette's. Not even a question.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 09:08:16 AM »
It’s never made any sense that a win or two more in a one and done tournament makes the difference between feeling good about or disappointed in your college basketball team.  There is way too much emphasis on a post season, single elimination format which relies on a group of people that determines whom you play and where you play them.  Such is life in college hoops.  I choose to take a comprehensive view of the season, and from my vantage point this year was another Marquette success story.

In our 31 game regular season-count 'em...31 games-I enjoyed our wins and knew that when we lost, there would be another opportunity to win until the last game of the season. In the 3 game BET, we were 2-1, as we were in the NCAA. The regular season lasted about four months. The two tourneys were over very quickly. No "next game!" to look forward to. So.... 31 games vs. 3 games and 3 games.

A natty is always the ultimate prize, but look at the littered killing field of the NCAA tourney and tell me those many teams are now of nominal value.  I would not trade NC State their mediocre regular season for ours. Part of the bargain would have required watching them play their regular season.  ::) 

If the FF or better is the benchmark for a successful season, that means that Tennessee joins us as a failed team this year. If I remember correctly (not always a safe assumption  ;))  the announcers after the UT/Purdue game pointed out that UT has never reached the FF in their 25 tourney appearances.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 09:19:25 AM »
Sigh. Only idiots are calling our season "failed" for us not having reached the Final Four.

We had a team capable of winning the national title. We're deeply disappointed the season ended when it did. Marquette won the double Big East title last season and that was cool. We - including Shaka and every single player on the team - had higher goals this year. Our heroes fell short, and that sucks, for all the fans and especially for the players and coaches who worked so hard.

And despite how it ended, all the fans I personally know - as well as most Scoopers, based on the comments here over the last several days - are extremely grateful for the outstanding basketball we got to enjoy these last two years.

Can't all that be true?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 09:35:38 AM »
Sigh. Only idiots are calling our season "failed" for us not having reached the Final Four.

We had a team capable of winning the national title. We're deeply disappointed the season ended when it did. Marquette won the double Big East title last season and that was cool. We - including Shaka and every single player on the team - had higher goals this year. Our heroes fell short, and that sucks, for all the fans and especially for the players and coaches who worked so hard.

And despite how it ended, all the fans I personally know - as well as most Scoopers, based on the comments here over the last several days - are extremely grateful for the outstanding basketball we got to enjoy these last two years.

Can't all that be true?

Umm...I really did not think that I needed to put the word "failed" in teal. No need to sigh. Look at the bolded in the two posts I showed. "Comprehensive view", "another Marquette success story", and last-but not least, wiscblues's comment. I focused on what I perceive as "only success in the NCAA matters", even though that is not stated explicitly.   

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 09:38:29 AM »
Umm...I really did not think that I needed to put the word "failed" in teal. No need to sigh. Look at the bolded in the two posts I showed. "Comprehensive view", "another Marquette success story", and last-but not least, wiscblues's comment. I focused on what I perceive as "only success in the NCAA matters", even though that is not stated explicitly.

I realized that Snoop. I was just trying to amplify your thoughts. Certainly meant no slight on you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 09:46:27 AM »

Of course, the last two years were success, and both ended in disappointment. It has been the best two year stretch in a long time and entertaining as hell. All of us are disappointed but only an idiot would consider it a failure. When I heard the Purdue had been to the FF in roughly 40 years and Tenn has never been to a FF, it once again proves how hard it is to make the FF.

I hope they keep knocking on the door and giving themselves chances to go deep. The worst part of being a fan is almost every year of your fandom ends in disappointment. To be honest, if they had won on Friday and lost on Sunday by shooting 4-31 from three, I would not feel any better or think the season was a vastly bigger success.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 09:49:21 AM »
I realized that Snoop. I was just trying to amplify your thoughts. Certainly meant no slight on you.

We're good.

I just think we need to accept our team, warts and all, rather than fantasizing about trading places with any other team. That includes a very good season overall, and not focusing only on the minefield that is the NCAA tourney every damn year. A Sweet Sixteen is an accomplishment worthy of note. It's just not the ceiling of what the team was capable of.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 09:56:31 AM »

Of course, the last two years were success, and both ended in disappointment. It has been the best two year stretch in a long time and entertaining as hell. All of us are disappointed but only an idiot would consider it a failure. When I heard the Purdue had been to the FF in roughly 40 years and Tenn has never been to a FF, it once again proves how hard it is to make the FF.

I hope they keep knocking on the door and giving themselves chances to go deep. The worst part of being a fan is almost every year of your fandom ends in disappointment. To be honest, if they had won on Friday and lost on Sunday by shooting 4-31 from three, I would not feel any better or think the season was a vastly bigger success.

I think the bolded has something to do with the inescapable fact that of the 68 teams that are in the tourney, 67 will end their seasons with a loss.  ;D 

I thought our ceiling was more likely the EE, but possibly the FF. Was I disappointed? HELL yes! But willing to criticize the players for a horrendous game? Sure, and you probably are too. After all, we could have shot threes better than them, right? Even Muggsy could if he was on someone's shoulders. That would be yours, not mine.  I might accidently drop him.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 10:08:20 AM »
Upon further reflection...the last two years have been the most successful in ~ decade. 

I'm hopeful we don't have to wander in the desert for another decade to have another chance and that is because of our coach and the culture he's built. 

Personally I would trade a FF for the last two years, but part of that is that being a Marquette fan has been a once a decade feast or famine most of my life. 

I think we are finally in a position for that to change and I'm happy to support that. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2024, 10:40:12 AM »
In the excuses thread on Ball Inflation, someone said the bright lights were the cause.
I don't think the physical bright lights.  But I definitely believe the metaphysical bright lights on playing a BB game with so much on the line.
Maybe next year not such an issue.
Going one round farther in the dance every year with Shaka & Company.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2024, 10:50:36 AM »

Looking forward to the double national championship in 2029.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2024, 11:12:05 AM »
In the excuses thread on Ball Inflation, someone said the bright lights were the cause.
I don't think the physical bright lights.  But I definitely believe the metaphysical bright lights on playing a BB game with so much on the line.
Maybe next year not such an issue.

There ya go! Just looking at the history of the tourney and the many FF and natty worthy teams that get knocked out every year should be enough for scoopers to understand how very difficult it is to get far. Coaches (and teams) with experience like Purdue and UCONN-along with being very good - have a better chance of advancing. It's not rocket science.

Of course, those bright lights might affect some teams a lot more than others, so there's that;D

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 11:26:00 AM »

Can't all that be true?

Yes, but it crosses a line into a different category when people say they would trade MU’s season, or last 2 seasons, for a run to the Final Four like NC State is having.

I wouldn’t, and it isn’t even close.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:29:05 AM by wisblue »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2024, 11:30:35 AM »
Yes, but it crosses a line into a different category when people say they would trade MU’s season, or last 2 seasons, for a run to the Final Four like NC State is having.

No it doesn't. I can be extremely grateful for the season MU had, but wish it could be traded for what NC State has gotten to experience.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 11:46:06 AM »

No it doesn't. I can be extremely grateful for the season MU had, but wish it could be traded for what NC State has gotten to experience.

So, in other words, you  would have been happier being a fan of NC State this season, even with all of the losses and lack of big wins for four months, no guarantee of even making the NCAA tournament , talk of firing the coach, etc. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 11:49:49 AM »
So, in other words, you  would have been happier being a fan of NC State this season, even with all of the losses and lack of big wins for four months, no guarantee of even making the NCAA tournament , talk of firing the coach, etc.
Is there some mathematical equation to determine how many regular season losses versus post season wins=happiness?

To each his own.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 11:52:06 AM »

I'd take rough regular season that ends with a conference championship and Final Four over this past Marquette season 100 times out of 100.