Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 18154 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Next Season
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2024, 08:30:28 AM »
Jop advances to 14-15 a game.   Ben goes to 10 and 5-6
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2024, 08:39:00 AM »
I think Jop puts it all together next season.  The pieces are there

Jop's usage actually went down this season with more minutes as did most of his advanced numbers (except TO% <ducks>).  His role was more defined his sophomore season off the bench but his decreased usage and efficiency points to a guy learning and adjusting to a new role.  The inconsistency is not surprising in retrospect but there is a lot of room for growth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2024, 08:43:38 AM »
They all can grow and develop.  If Joplin wasn't doing what the coaching  staff wanted, he would sit more.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2024, 08:52:58 AM »
They all can grow and develop.  If Joplin wasn't doing what the coaching  staff wanted, he would sit more.

There really wasn't an alternative off the bench like there will be next season. Some Scoopers felt it was a missed opportunity not to grab a transfer for the Omax role and the Jop numbers tend to point to that.

I think his biggest improvement was defense this past season. Certainly a key piece next season but the roster composition should also help him. Decreased usage AND efficiency this season confirms square peg, round hole.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2024, 09:01:47 AM »
Don’t love disparaging young kids that put a ton of effort into becoming good basketball players, but that might’ve been the worst game I’ve seen a Marquette player play in my life, at least on a big stage.

That was MUs ceiling- they could never survive and advance a game like that from Jop.

Our "best backcourt in the nation" combined to go 4-17 from 3, our two other guards combined to go 0-6, our all-conference center looked lost offensively just about all game, and we got nothing from our backup 4/5.

But yes, Jop cost us the game.

Also, you might want to check out what Travis Diener did on an even bigger stage against Kansas ... not that he was important to the 2003 team or anything. Maybe that one was so ugly you erased it from your memory!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2024, 09:14:21 AM »
Our "best backcourt in the nation" combined to go 4-17 from 3, our two other guards combined to go 0-6, our all-conference center looked lost offensively just about all game, and we got nothing from our backup 4/5.

Also, you might want to check out what Travis Diener did on an even bigger stage against Kansas ... not that he was important to the 2003 team or anything. Maybe that one was so ugly you erased it from your memory!

It was a collective effort of failure in the NC State game

Also, sharpshooting Novak was 0-5 from 3 in that Final 4 game, 1-7 from overall
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:17:57 AM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2024, 09:24:40 AM »
And we survived plenty of bad games against good teams from Jop. He was 1/6 at Illinois and we won. 1/5 on a neutral against a healthy Kansas and won. 2/8 against Nova without Kolek in the BET and won. 4/14 against Providence without Kolek in the BET and won.

He was, at best, our fifth most important player. He was certainly not our ceiling. We could’ve easily won the NCState game with his performance if everyone else played a C- level game. Unfortunately just about everyone played an F level game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2024, 09:30:50 AM »
I do think we'll see a Jop next year who is more consistent with a more diversified game. I know he had a rough one vs. NC State, but he scored in a variety of ways against Uconn, WKU, and Colorado. Some that we'd rarely or never seen before. He was gaining a lot of confidence in other areas of his game before the NCST disaster.

I agree with this analysis.  I'll add Jop has been one of the more frustrating players I recall in recent memory as he seems to be either on his A-game, or he turns in a complete dud.  He improved a ton defensively over the course of the year.  His athleticism has improved.  One more summer of hard work, and I do think he will take a big step up for us next year.

It's unfortunate he had the rough game against NC State, yet he was pretty clutch against Colorado and very instrumental in our advancing out of that round.  So you take the Colorado game and NC State game, and that in some way summarizes how/why Jop is so frustrating.  Level things out and Jop will be fine.  The kid worked his ass of last summer and no reason to think he won't work just as hard this upcoming off season to further improve.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2024, 09:56:55 AM »
We are not going to be good, if out center only averages 5 rebounds a game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2024, 10:01:15 AM »
We are not going to be good, if out center only averages 5 rebounds a game.

Why

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2024, 10:36:33 AM »

NCST shut down the rim and were physical with our guards.  The Shaknada offense is very efficient and a joy to watch, but when it's not working (the sample size is UConn, Purdue, Wisconsin, MSU, etc), it's not built to be versatile enough. If you don't stress rebounding of those misses or can't threaten the mid-range (not all mid range shots are created the same, to cut off Keyboard Karen's), you lose ugly.

That said, exceptional year from the team and coaches. The roster and philosophy is what it is which is Top 15z.  Shaka has moved MU from Point A to Point B.  Excited to see Point C.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2024, 11:10:34 AM »
There really wasn't an alternative off the bench like there will be next season. Some Scoopers felt it was a missed opportunity not to grab a transfer for the Omax role and the Jop numbers tend to point to that.

I think his biggest improvement was defense this past season. Certainly a key piece next season but the roster composition should also help him. Decreased usage AND efficiency this season confirms square peg, round hole.

I don’t think it confirms that at all. It confirms a guy being asked to do things he’d never done before took some time to adjust, and 30 games is not a lot to figure it out. I’m not sure what his advanced numbers will look like next year, but I’m convinced he’ll have his best season yet. And this was his best season thus far, even if the advanced stats were better last year

MU82

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2024, 11:52:15 AM »
Also, sharpshooting Novak was 0-5 from 3 in that Final 4 game, 1-7 from overall

So Diener and Novak were a combined 2-for-18 (1-for-10 from 3), and Diener chipped in 8 (!!) turnovers in a FF that Kansas led about 862-0 after 3 minutes.

But Jop's game against NCSU was the worst ever by a Marquette player on a big stage, and he kept us from winning the game.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2024, 12:06:15 PM »
OR…. Alternative thought, they didn’t have any better options on the bench.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2024, 01:05:49 PM »
If Jop hits those numbers he will have to become a ball hog
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2024, 02:27:01 PM »
The season can’t come soon enough

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2024, 02:27:41 PM »

😂

tower912

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2024, 02:29:21 PM »
Or hit one more 3 and one more free throw per game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2024, 02:56:41 PM »
Or hit one more 3 and one more free throw per game.
Based on his last game and several others that is a tall ask.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2024, 03:12:09 PM »
Based on his good games, it isn't.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2024, 03:14:26 PM »
I probably blacked the second half of that FF game out.

I’m glad you guys found a few examples of games as bad or worse on a big stage.

Due to those efforts I will redact my statement to “one of the worst games played by a single MU player on a big stage.”

My statement in no way changes the fact that others had a bad game too. As we all know, several did.

It’s ok to admit the above and still hope the Jop has a great season in 24/25

MU82

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2024, 03:31:10 PM »
Yes, DrV, I admit that Jop was one of 7 Marquette players who either couldn’t make shots, struggled offensively or both vs NCSU.

And yes, I hope he (and all other MU players) is (are) great in 24/25.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2024, 04:12:02 PM »
Learned men in the future will found universities to parse your thoughts to their deepest depths, Dung Willie
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2024, 04:18:39 PM »
Learned men in the future will found universities to parse your thoughts to their deepest depths, Dung Willie

Waiting for Ramsey news

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2024, 08:28:15 PM »
Based on his good games, it isn't.
If you are basing it on his good games why was he not 1 and 1 better for years average. Jop is what he is. He will not carry us to the promised land. And you know it.