[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCSTATE is evil  (Read 3025 times)

tower912

• All American
NCSTATE is evil
« on: March 29, 2024, 08:01:49 AM »
I am feeling better about this game than I probably should.  If MU plays its game, I think they win by 10.   Move the ball, hit open shots, trap effectively, get some turnovers.  Be MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NCSTATE is evil
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 08:03:55 AM »
Yeah. I was feeling that way until I saw the upsets yesterday. Now I’m all nervous. 10 hours to go? Yikes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 08:22:17 AM »
Yeah. I was feeling that way until I saw the upsets yesterday. Now I’m all nervous. 10 hours to go? Yikes.

As far as the upsets go, Arizona couldn’t make buckets.  3’s and a fair amount of bunnies despite a lot of second chances.  Clemson made a lot of lucky/weird shots. Upset recipe.

Bama-UNC was more of a toss up than the seeding indicated just because Bama can get buckets, just a matter of they could get enough stops and they did late.

Between the two, I’d guess if Marquette were to lose, it’d be more of the first scenario.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 08:28:17 AM »
Fair.  If MU has a game reminiscent of the Butler game they will lose.  It would be helpful if NCState decided to play defense like Villanova in game one.  Who wouldn't love 60 points at the hoop?   I am not optimistic about that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 08:28:26 AM »
I am feeling better about this game than I probably should.  If MU plays its game, I think they win by 10.   Move the ball, hit open shots, trap effectively, get some turnovers.  Be MU.

Same. Don’t go 18% from deep and I think we’re going to be good
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 08:34:41 AM »
As far as the upsets go, Arizona couldn’t make buckets.  3’s and a fair amount of bunnies despite a lot of second chances.  Clemson made a lot of lucky/weird shots. Upset recipe.

Bama-UNC was more of a toss up than the seeding indicated just because Bama can get buckets, just a matter of they could get enough stops and they did late.

Between the two, I’d guess if Marquette were to lose, it’d be more of the first scenario.

I think someone made a post a few days ago that showed a lot of teams have shot really poorly from 3 against NC State on their run. I think if we shoot our average from 3, we will be in good shape.

I think it's good the team was able to see some upsets yesterday. Especially because now we wouldn't be the first 1/2 seed to lose, it may take a little pressure off.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 08:50:20 AM »
I wrote that I am "cautiously optimistic" in my email to Marquette alumni family members about the game. Despite the three losses without Kolek (and one without Oso also), our team stayed in those games until late. We also played well in the other two BET games. Add our regular season to all of this and I think that a cautious optimism is very reasonable. Had NC State not taken down UNC and Duke in the ACC tourney, I would be very optimistic. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 08:50:52 AM »
Didn’t realize until I looked at their roster that NCS only has 1 guy in their 8 man rotation (a freshman) who hasn’t played in one or two other division 1 programs.

This will be a clash of philosophies. I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that a team pieced together that way would take some time to jell.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 08:59:26 AM »
It’s normal to feel cautious.

It’s also normal to realize this team is ready for its moment.

Let’s fu*king go!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 09:07:16 AM »
I’m not really buying the ‘well they gelled’ stuff. Burns has heated up, but they’re just on a seven-game run… which started with beating crappy Louisville and gross Syracuse. Other wins include Virginia (in OT), Oakland (in OT).. so that leaves us with Duke, UNC and Tech…  those teams shot 25.0%, 26.7% and 22.6% from three.

In the seven game stretch, the eclipsed 1.20 ppp once – against Louisville – while also giving up 1.19 to the Cards. They’ve had one game where they’ve allowed less than 0.98 ppp in the stretch (to Syracuse, whose offense blows).

As a comp, we’ve scored >1.20 ppp eleven times this year. We’ve allowed less than 0.98 ppp sixteen times.

They’ve had a nice streak, but there’s nothing about this team that makes me think anything other than ‘wow, what a middling, mediocre team in every way except not coughing up the ball’. Feb 27 – Mar 9 isn’t that long ago. They went 0-4 in that stretch prior to the seven-game winning streak. They were 5-1 in conference at one point.. and finished out 4-10 the rest of the way. Did they gel early, lose it, they re-gel?

No, they’re just not a great team.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »
No, they’re just not a great team.

Generally agree.  The only thing scary about them is that they "shouldn't" be in the S16.  But here we are.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2024, 09:22:34 AM »
Majority of bets have been on NC State but the line moved from -6.5 to what looks like will land on -7.5.  Sharp money is on MU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2024, 09:23:34 AM »
Generally agree.  The only thing scary about them is that they "shouldn't" be in the S16.  But here we are.

Always a team like this.  Generally believe this staff won’t let Marquette overlook them.  Think it kind of helps it’s an ACC 11-seed and not a mid-major 11-seed. 

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 09:24:38 AM »
Same. Don’t go 18% from deep and I think we’re going to be good

Also, don't have someone pull a Caleb Love and take just horrible shots. Still thinking about that 20 foot one-legged floater that hit only air.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 09:27:47 AM »
…and must be destroyed!!! Let’s go Warriors!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 09:35:10 AM »
- Burns has one move.  He gets to the lower block by the paint on the left side.  He then turns to his right and uses his left hand to make a shot that usually banks off the glass.  Defense for that.  When he is doubled, Burns is an excellent passer to the open man for a three.  O'Connell and Horne are dangerous ones. So, MU needs to be careful of that.

- Mitchell shut down Horne.  Don't let him go off, he is sort of due.

- If you Scoopers thought Providence's Oduro is a hated player, get ready for Middlebrooks.........

Good luck to the team.  #2 seeds should beat #11 seeds. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 09:53:48 AM »

NC got outcoached.  They got caught up in the run and gun game and that favored Bama.
Arizona got outcoached.  They kept chucking 3s when they had success down low.  We have been prone to do that for stretches as well.
I never believed the Iowa St hype train so Illinois winning was not a surprise.

My biggest worry is foul trouble.  Second biggest worry is 3-point shooting going cold.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 09:54:56 AM »
NC got outcoached.  They got caught up in the run and gun game and that favored Bama.
Arizona got outcoached.  They kept chucking 3s when they had success down low.  We have been prone to do that for stretches as well.
I never believed the Iowa St hype train so Illinois winning was not a surprise.

My biggest worry is foul trouble.  Second biggest worry is 3-point shooting going cold.

UNC plays uptempo.  Don’t think that was an issue.  They weren’t going to slow it down

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 10:01:33 AM »
UNC plays uptempo.  Don’t think that was an issue.  They weren’t going to slow it down

Not the way Bama plays it.  Not saying they needed to play slow, just a little slower than the tempo last night.  Everything was short for UNC as that game went along.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:03:14 AM by Big Papi »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 10:04:13 AM »
Not the way Bama plays it.

It was a 72 possession game.  UNC averaged 70.5 possessions a game, Bama 73.

The Michigan State was a 71-possession game.

Tempo wasn’t an issue.  Missing shots in the second half was an issue

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2024, 10:09:38 AM »
Took a look at the 247 NC State message board.  Among my favorites:

-Force Kolek right
-Morsell will be on Kolek so we don't have to worry about that

Also, no inclination about how good Kam has been. 

Obviously none of that matters and every board has some wild takes but the "force Kolek right" is always a classic. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2024, 10:10:03 AM »
Missing shots cost Arizona, too.   5-28 from 3 in a 5 point game.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2024, 10:11:00 AM »
Took a look at the 247 NC State message board.  Among my favorites:

-Force Kolek right
-Morsell will be on Kolek so we don't have to worry about that

Also, no inclination about how good Kam has been. 

Obviously none of that matters and every board has some wild takes but the "force Kolek right" is always a classic.
They aren't wrong.  Easier said than done.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2024, 10:17:12 AM »
They aren't wrong.  Easier said than done.

Maybe it’s semantics. But as I said in another thread. There isn’t forcing him right. He’s not gonna do that.

Take away him going to his left? Sure. But easier said than done.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2024, 10:19:29 AM »
It just amuses me because what else do you think team's have been trying to do the past 2 seasons?

feedback