[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek's "legacy"  (Read 10985 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek's "legacy"
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2024, 03:49:29 PM »
I'll break my answer down this way:

1) If we win a Natty or make the National Championship game:
TyKo and Oso go in the rafters by April 15th. Cam goes in when his career at Marquette ends.

2) Anything else:
TyKo still belongs among the greatest ever at Marquette. He needs a place with DWade, Butch, Bo and Maurice. Goose is right -- TyKo has been transformative and his "F*** 'em reflected the attitude of our school and team.

I might let the dust settle and have Tyler back when his NBA team is playing in Milwaukee.

Oso is a tougher call. His legacy is good but I don't think he is one of the best ever to play here. I put him in the rafters largely if we win a Natty, as he would be instrumental in our next four games.

The question comes back to how does TyKo compare to those who are and aren't up there. I might argue that Jae or Wes belongs up there and, perhaps DJO. But not Markus Howard. I know he was a prolific scorer. But we're not LSU.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2024, 03:50:09 PM »
Can't retire the number of a player who got through Marquette without learning to read.

I'm still waiting for Tyler to acknowledge and lean into the joke in a post game interview or presser.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2024, 03:51:16 PM »

TyKo and Oso go in the rafters by April 15th. Cam goes in when his career at Marquette ends.

2) Anything else:
TyKo still belongs among the greatest ever at Marquette. He needs a place with DWade, Butch, Bo and Maurice. Goose is right -- TyKo has been transformative and his "F*** 'em reflected the attitude of our school and team.

I might let the dust settle and have Tyler back when his NBA team is playing in Milwaukee.

Oso is a tougher call. His legacy is good but I don't think he is one of the best ever to play here. I put him in the rafters largely if we win a Natty, as he would be instrumental in our next four games.

The question comes back to how does TyKo compare to those who are and aren't up there. I might argue that Jae or Wes belongs up there and, perhaps DJO. But not Markus Howard. I know he was a prolific scorer. But we're not LSU.

You haven't thought about this much so I'm just going to let the other folks here drag you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2024, 03:56:52 PM »

2) Anything else:

You're better than your absolutely inane last sentence, dg.

Otherwise I'll leave this alone and, as Hards said, let others have at it if they want.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2024, 03:57:26 PM »

Sometimes this place makes me just shake my head in disbelief.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2024, 03:59:30 PM »
I would argue, but it turns out I am a big meanie head.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2024, 04:05:07 PM »
If you retire Markus’ jersey based on being the career scoring leader, you have to consider that Jerel McNeal had the record for a decade before Markus.  He was more accomplished at MU than Wes.  Wes obviously had a long NBA career to set himself apart after leaving MU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2024, 04:08:03 PM »
I draw the line at retiring Cam Marrota’s jersey
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2024, 04:09:36 PM »
If you retire Markus’ jersey based on being the career scoring leader, you have to consider that Jerel McNeal had the record for a decade before Markus.  He was more accomplished at MU than Wes.  Wes obviously had a long NBA career to set himself apart after leaving MU.

While I agree it's important to not that Markus' numbers are the real all time scoring record. If you switch his 3s to 2s and take his sophomore to senior numbers he beats Thompson by no small number. The same was not true about McNeal.

I personally think being a key contributor to a Final Four should be the minimum. And that means taking down some historic favorites that were truly incredible but at least it creates a specific cut line.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2024, 04:09:43 PM »
I draw the line at retiring Cam Marrota’s jersey
Frozena goes first
Goal is National Championship

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2024, 04:10:23 PM »

Markus not only holds it, he destroyed it.  Before Markus there was still the argument of three year players that didn't get the benefit of playing as Freshman vs the likes of Jerel.  Before Markus, there was still the argument of what if there was a three point line when some of the older players were active.   Markus sits alone on top of all of those charts by a considerable margin.

NBA career (or lack thereof) should have no impact on retiring a collegiate jersey/number IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2024, 04:10:47 PM »

But it wouldn't be just that, obviously.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2024, 04:13:18 PM »

Being MUs scoring leader is only a part of three puzzle.

Being the Big Easts scoring leader is the much bigger deal.

I love Rel, but his scoring record and the Big East scoring record are not the same
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2024, 04:17:16 PM »
Being MUs scoring leader is only a part of three puzzle.

Being the Big Easts scoring leader is the much bigger deal.

I love Rel, but his scoring record and the Big East scoring record are not the same

Markus also Big East POY (should have been twice), first team All-American and led the nation in scoring.
Jerel was fantastic, but Markus was more accomplished.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2024, 04:26:09 PM »
Marquette has too many retired numbers as-is. Thank god they let Kolek wear 11, instead of telling him no because they "retired" it for the Apollo 11 moon landings. Like seriously, what the hell.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2024, 04:31:13 PM »
Marquette has too many retired numbers as-is. Thank god they let Kolek wear 11, instead of telling him no because they "retired" it for the Apollo 11 moon landings. Like seriously, what the hell.

It was a silly stunt Al did for publicity that looks strange 50+ years later. It should have been quietly "unretired" a few years earlier.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2024, 04:32:02 PM »
Doc Rivers decides.

Doc was completely a Crean decision, probably because he was recruiting his kids.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2024, 04:36:16 PM »
I think we should just do a Ring of Honor instead of jerseys numbers being retired.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2024, 04:50:40 PM »
I think we should just do a Ring of Honor instead of jerseys numbers being retired.

Well, that's kinda what it has become.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2024, 04:55:24 PM »
Well, that's kinda what it has become.

Is it? Weve only retired 2 jerseys of guys who played after the 1970s. One of whom is the greatest player to ever don the blue and gold. I think if it had become a ring of honor we would of seen a few more names added by now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2024, 04:56:20 PM »
Those closely connected to Marquette basketball these last couple/few years - from coaches to teammates to administrators and, yes, to fans - will always fondly remember all the great things Tyler Kolek did for the team and the program.

That will be the case whether or not his jersey/number is "retired." And that's his true legacy IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2024, 05:04:51 PM »

I'm not sure the Bucks would go along with that.
They could do it in The Al, but obviously not nearly as many people would notice.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2024, 05:17:19 PM »
The fact that only two players have numbers retired is telling and I 100% appreciate the meaning behind that honor. Only Wade is deserving post Al and I firmly believe TK is deserving.

My belief is truly not biased and I believe it based off of watching 50+ years of basketball. His overall impact and greatness is second only to Wade, imo. I have zero problem with others not agreeing, but I believe we have seen greatness from TK.

There is a nice number of players that I appreciated over the past 45 years, but only Wade and TK check the boxes for this fan. Truth be told, I hope he gets to put a net around his neck more than anything else.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2024, 05:34:33 PM »
Rather than a number or jersey, I'd like to see an actual Marquette Hall of Fame museum in the new basketball facility. Not just displays like in The Al that everyone walks by with little notice. An interactive museum with busts (not the Scoop type). Championship banners should be hung in Fiserv and player accomplishments should be close to the students from which they came.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2024, 06:16:13 PM »
Herman

Post Al era, who do you have ahead of TK in the top twenty list of all time greats? IMO, there are a good number of players in the AL era that are better than TK, but nowhere near twenty.
Goose:
In post Al era the only one clearly above Tyko is :
D Wade

There is a long list of post Al he is somewhere among though (listed chronologically)

Oliver Lee
Micheal Wilson
Sam Worthen
Doc Rivers
Tony Smith
Damon Key
Jim McAlvaine
Tony Miller
Aaron Hutchins
Brian Wardle
Travis Diener
Steve Novack
Dominc James
Jerel McNeal
Wes Matthews
Lazar Haywood
Jimmy Butler
Jae Crowder
Darius Johnson-Odom
Vander Blue
Markus Howard
Sam Hauser

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire