Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 110197 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2024, 06:58:44 AM »
They're probably struggling with recruiting and NIL.

2023 - 20th best class
2022 - 14th best class

I think they're doing alright.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2024, 07:09:30 AM »
I looked up Leon Bond, who Shaka lost out on to UVa right after he got here. He hardly played after redshirting last year, but amazingly had played nearly 300 minutes this year and only had 2 3PA.

How is that even possible for a guard in college basketball today?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2024, 07:09:50 AM »
2023 - 20th best class
2022 - 14th best class

I think they're doing alright.

Then the class evaluations may not be particularly good?  I dunno.

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2024, 07:12:17 AM »
Then the class evaluations may not be particularly good?  I dunno.

Not sure Bennett’s style is doing him many favors.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2024, 07:21:13 AM »
True.   I'll be rooting for Boise St tonight but most seem to think Colorado is the better team.

Also heard multiple analysts say that MU would be a nightmare matchup for Boise St. Something along the lines of barbecue chicken. I think we want them to take out Colorado tonight.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2024, 07:28:11 AM »
Not sure Bennett’s style is doing him many favors.

This is probably it.

I looked up Leon Bond, who Shaka lost out on to UVa right after he got here. He hardly played after redshirting last year, but amazingly had played nearly 300 minutes this year and only had 2 3PA.

That's crazy.  60th (whatever rankings you want to choose from) ranked player on 247 and he can't find the floor on a middling team.

None of those 2021-2022 guys are doing much.  Leon, Seth Trimble at UNC... even Pat Baldwin Jr is pretty bad on the worst team in the NBA... and has been sent down a couple of times already.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2024, 07:53:09 AM »

Based on last night’s game, it appears Bennett is bucking the modern trend and instead he’s building his offense around the mid-range jump shot.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2024, 08:06:51 AM »
Also heard multiple analysts say that MU would be a nightmare matchup for Boise St. Something along the lines of barbecue chicken. I think we want them to take out Colorado tonight.

Florida is clearly the most dangerous  of the rd of 32 opponents.  Assuming we dispose of the Hilltopers.  That said we are in prime position to make a deep run.  Hopefully Tyko is alright and we play at our A level.   Other guys got more experience in the BET.  The time is NOW to go medieval and take no prisoners. Seize this opportunity.  We all saw how this team eviscerated a good Prov team about a month ago at full strength.  27-4  out of the gates with buckets and attacks all over the place.  This is who we are, with Tyko leading the charge.  It's time to go to work, period.  LFG!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2024, 08:32:38 AM »
This is probably it.

That's crazy.  60th (whatever rankings you want to choose from) ranked player on 247 and he can't find the floor on a middling team.

None of those 2021-2022 guys are doing much.  Leon, Seth Trimble at UNC... even Pat Baldwin Jr is pretty bad on the worst team in the NBA... and has been sent down a couple of times already.

A great reminder that, while recruiting rankings are fun to follow, their accuracy can be hit or miss.  Chase Ross turned out to be a much better player than a higher rated Leon Bond.

Similarly, when Shaka was hired many Scoopers were hoping Tamar Bates would follow Shaka.  Myself included.  Bates has been decent but he's no Kam Jones.

We can even point to Dawson Garcia vs Oso.  I was stoked when Garcia committed  but he'll barely be remembered as playing for Marquette.  But Oso is going to leave a lasting impression at Marquette.  Hopefully, there's a lot more Oso story to tell from the upcoming weeks.

I could go on and on.  Haven't even mentioned Kolek yet.  He went from unranked to 2× AA, 2× All BE, BEPOY, and BETMOP.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'll wrap it up.  I'll finish by saying, I love following recruiting because of the stories.  Seeing how players are perceived in HS and then seeing how their college careers play out is totally fascinating to me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2024, 08:37:02 AM »
Florida is clearly the most dangerous  of the rd of 32 opponents.  Assuming we dispose of the Hilltopers.  That said we are in prime position to make a deep run.  Hopefully Tyko is alright and we play at our A level.   Other guys got more experience in the BET.  The time is NOW to go medieval and take no prisoners. Seize this opportunity.  We all saw how this team eviscerated a good Prov team about a month ago at full strength.  27-4  out of the gates with buckets and attacks all over the place.  This is who we are, with Tyko leading the charge.  It's time to go to work, period.  LFG!!!

You forgot "One for all and all for one" and "Let's win one for the Gipper."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2024, 09:17:25 AM »
A great reminder that, while recruiting rankings are fun to follow, their accuracy can be hit or miss.  Chase Ross turned out to be a much better player than a higher rated Leon Bond.

Similarly, when Shaka was hired many Scoopers were hoping Tamar Bates would follow Shaka.  Myself included.  Bates has been decent but he's no Kam Jones.

We can even point to Dawson Garcia vs Oso.  I was stoked when Garcia committed  but he'll barely be remembered as playing for Marquette.  But Oso is going to leave a lasting impression at Marquette.  Hopefully, there's a lot more Oso story to tell from the upcoming weeks.

I could go on and on.  Haven't even mentioned Kolek yet.  He went from unranked to 2× AA, 2× All BE, BEPOY, and BETMOP.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'll wrap it up.  I'll finish by saying, I love following recruiting because of the stories.  Seeing how players are perceived in HS and then seeing how their college careers play out is totally fascinating to me.

Coaching > recruiting   

Unless the guys are 1 and dones, usually.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2024, 10:42:33 AM »
The Athletic posted an article (Brendan Marks and Kyle Tucker) about the 12 teams with realistic chance to win the NCAA. Guess which team didn't make the list?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2024, 10:52:06 AM »
I have been quickly reading through the tons of predictions by alleged experts (I know, some actually are, but...) and there is no shortage of people predicting an early exit for Marquette, including a loss vs. WK. At least 2 have already decided that Florida will win its matchup even before tonight's opponent is decided, and predict that Florida will take us down if we get past WK.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2024, 10:55:49 AM »
The Athletic posted an article (Brendan Marks and Kyle Tucker) about the 12 teams with realistic chance to win the NCAA. Guess which team didn't make the list?

Meh.
They also had a story ranking the top 16 title contenders and placed Marquette 7th (between Arizona and Iowa State).

https://theathletic.com/5353484/2024/03/20/ncaa-tournament-power-rankings-contenders-team/

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »
I have been quickly reading through the tons of predictions by alleged experts (I know, some actually are, but...) and there is no shortage of people predicting an early exit for Marquette, including a loss vs. WK. At least 2 have already decided that Florida will win its matchup even before tonight's opponent is decided, and predict that Florida will take us down if we get past WK.

Seeing a lot of the same thing.  Not worried.  Likely haven’t see us play or think Kolek will be limited.  There are always play in teams that rattle off a few wins in the tournament but I think MU is too good when healthy to fall prey to this. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2024, 11:00:14 AM »
Seeing a lot of the same thing.  Not worried.  Likely haven’t see us play or think Kolek will be limited.  There are always play in teams that rattle off a few wins in the tournament but I think MU is too good when healthy to fall prey to this.

Bulletin board material, right?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2024, 11:05:08 AM »
Bulletin board material, right?

Absolutely but it’s not needed. The team has the right mindset.  They are a veteran team that has unfinished business to take care of.  I would be very surprised if they fell flat on their face.  Just don’t see it happening. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2024, 11:07:44 AM »

I kinda get it.  People want to pick one upset for a top 2 seed, we're the only one that didn't win either a regular season or conference tourney, we have injury related question marks, and fair or not, Shaka still has a reputation of exiting the tournament early. 

I don't think any of it will matter, and we'll win easily, but imagine how much fewer clicks all the talking heads would generate if they all just picked chalk.  Plus they wanna pick fights with MU fans on twitter.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2024, 11:23:26 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2024, 11:24:01 AM »
Tom Izzo continuing his reputation of looking out for the little guy.

He usually just looks out for rapists.  By looking out, I mean helping cover up

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2024, 11:24:08 AM »
LOL. Sure. Lets bring in old retired coaches and their "eye test." I'm sure that will work out great.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2024, 11:25:15 AM »
Speaking of old coaches. I heard Boeheim calling the Wagner/Howard game on the radio yesterday. It sounded like they had to nudge him awake before he said anything.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2024, 11:26:53 AM »
LOL. Sure. Lets bring in old retired coaches and their "eye test." I'm sure that will work out great.

It’ll be a great day for the sport when Izzo is out to pasture

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2024, 11:30:35 AM »
Tom Izzo has ideas

https://x.com/adavidhalejoint/status/1770463581387063584?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

It's hard to argue with his logic. If there's one thing that everyone hates about the first weekend of the tournament, it's all those annoying underdogs cheering from the bench and celebrating mid-court after an upset.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback