[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don’t stop, but smell the roses  (Read 3155 times)

Zog from Margo

• Starter
Don’t stop, but smell the roses
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:56:26 PM »
From 2014 to 2021, MU made the NCAAs twice. They’ve now made it three consecutive years with great seeds in two of those years. I’ve lived through enough poor and mediocre MU coaches to not take NCAA bids for granted. Kudos to Shaka, his staff, MU’s players, and the powers that be at MU.

(And to think some “knowledgeable” fans (e.g., Dodds), were against MU moving on from Wojo.)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Don’t stop, but smell the roses
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 03:50:53 AM »
From 2014 to 2021, MU made the NCAAs twice. They’ve now made it three consecutive years with great seeds in two of those years. I’ve lived through enough poor and mediocre MU coaches to not take NCAA bids for granted. Kudos to Shaka, his staff, MU’s players, and the powers that be at MU.

(And to think some “knowledgeable” fans (e.g., Dodds), were against MU moving on from Wojo.)
There were a lot here that offered many excuses for keeping Wojo. They know who they are.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 07:52:37 AM »

Brownnosers smell something else rather than roses.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 08:15:23 AM »

I made a snap decision to go to Indy yesterday.

Work, airfare, significant life events going on right now, etc. were arguments against.

But, truth is we don’t know how much time left on earth we have, and this has been a (usually highly) ranked team all year, with a two-seed, and a roster filled with guys I’m proud of.

So, I’m going and will enjoy immensely.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 08:17:11 AM »
A 2 seed two years in a row. We're almost at the point where the Wojo years were worth it.

Almost.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 08:25:44 AM »
The man was still responsible for recruiting Oso, Kam and Stevie.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 08:27:07 AM »

Nobody knocked Wojo's recruiting

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 08:35:49 AM »
A 2 seed two years in a row.

Hard to imagine, right? Prior to last year they had never been higher than a 3 seed. Now, they got a 2 seed two years in a row. It's a good time to be a Marquette fan. Now let's see them make a run.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 08:36:26 AM »

Work, airfare, significant life events going on right now, etc. were arguments against.

But, truth is we don’t know how much time left on earth we have, and this has been a (usually highly) ranked team all year, with a two-seed, and a roster filled with guys I’m proud of.

Great choice and agree - I paid up for a few games this year for the same reason.  2003 was over 20 years ago - last elite 8 over a decade.  When the opportunity is in front of you--take it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 08:39:02 AM »

I have a hotel room for Detroit on Saturday March 30th. The thought was MU-Purdue on Easter Sunday.  Now the question is do I want to watch Purdue - Tennessee. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 08:48:21 AM »
I have a hotel room for Detroit on Saturday March 30th. The thought was MU-Purdue on Easter Sunday.  Now the question is do I want to watch Purdue - Tennessee. 

And if Marquette doesn't make it, you still get a trip to Detroit in March!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 08:57:30 AM »

I don't want to be accused of being COLE, but there's not a chance in hell that Marquette is going to make it to Detroit.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 09:12:00 AM »
I don't want to be accused of being COLE, but there's not a chance in hell that Marquette is going to make it to Detroit.

Oh crap. Forgot what bracket they are in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 09:12:13 AM »

One time on spring break we went to L.A. and had In N Out.

To be able to get Little Caesars in Detroit, would be a dream come true. 

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 09:39:17 AM »

Wojo deserves some credit for those guys. As already noted, recruiting good players was not his issue. He just did not believe in a system to recruit players to, so there was no rhyme or reason to his recruiting. He also was not a good coach. The difference in the level of execution between Wojo's teams and Shaka's teams is gigantic. Besides, all three were free to go elsewhere and decided to stay with Shaka. It's unlikely any of the three would have enjoyed similar success under Wojo.

As Paul Hornung said:

"I loved Jack Vainisi – all the players did," said Hornung, the Packers' No. 1 draft pick in 1957 and a 1986 inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "He was a football man – that's what he was. Pure and simple. He brought so much talent to Green Bay, but it took Lombardi to make us champions." https://www.packers.com/history/hof/jack-vainisi

Coaching matters. Under Shaka, we're seeing some good coaching at MU for the first time since Buzz (who had other issues). I am enjoying the ride.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 09:50:26 AM by Zog from Margo »

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 02:00:30 PM »

I did not like Coach W. from the beginning. I thought his temperament was great for the kind of player he was, but it didn't translate well as a coach. At times in a time-out huddle he was over the top. He looked scary. Some players, not all, looked scared. I said that from the beginning.

For that I got chastised, made fun of, and i think given a warning by the Owner of the board, Mr. JD.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 02:10:04 PM »
Our team is a #2 seed for the second straight season and a legit national title contender. We have an All-American PG, an NBA first-round draft pick, a guard who is averaging 21 ppg on .556 shooting (.506 from 3) since the start of February, another guard who is among the nation's best defeders, some good role players, and a great coach. Our team plays with passion, heart and class, and the players bring honor to our alma mater. It's a wonderful time to be a Marquette basketball fan!

Sounds like the perfect occasion to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-relitigate the Wojo years.

Cuz that's the best way to "don't stop, but smell the roses."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 02:16:28 PM »
Our team is a #2 seed for the second straight season and a legit national title contender. We have an All-American PG, an NBA first-round draft pick, a guard who is averaging 21 ppg on .556 shooting (.506 from 3) since the start of February, another guard who is among the nation's best defeders, some good role players, and a great coach. Our team plays with passion, heart and class, and the players bring honor to our alma mater. It's a wonderful time to be a Marquette basketball fan!

Sounds like the perfect occasion to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-relitigate the Wojo years.

Cuz that's the best way to "don't stop, but smell the roses."

Hard to truly appreciate where MU is without considering from whence it came.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »
It was time for him to go, and I couldn't be happier he was ousted and it's nice to see us hit a place higher than where our previous ceiling was as a 3 seed and peak ranking #8

I dont regret being optimistic that Wojo would eventually get things right and don't regret defending him against those who were trying to crap on everyone's good time when we were winning (albeit not as much as we'd all have liked).

the 14/15 to 20/21 era was not as bleak as many on here pretend. It was not good by any means but people act like there was zero worth cheering for and that it was the dark ages of MU hoops. Call me a glasses half full guy but I still tuned in to watch Rowsey do "the thing", see if Henry could will us to some highlight victories, watch Theo block or foul everyone, see if Howard would go for >30, >40, >50.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 02:54:58 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 02:30:45 PM »
We got the high seeds, now time to take advantage of them!!! The high seeds mean nothing without winning the games.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 02:45:16 PM »
We got the high seeds, now time to take advantage of them!!! The high seeds mean nothing without winning the games.

I disagree. The high seeds are the result of strong regular seasons. Between 2013-2014 and 2020-2021, MU finished with a winning BE record and in the top half of the conference twice. During that time, MU received two NCAA bids and had no victories in the NCAA. Under Shaka, MU has three straight winning seasons in conference, three straight seasons finishing in the top half of the conference, and three straight NCAA bids. Shaka (three seasons) has tied Buzz's MU record (over six seasons) for most wins in the BE tournament and has an NCAA win. We all want wins in the tournament, but IMO it's appropriate to recognize what already been achieved.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 02:49:28 PM »

the 14-15 to 20/21 era was not as bleak as many on here pretend.

Having attended Marquette during the last two years of Dukiet and first two of KO, I would agree that the Wojo era wasn’t exactly the dark ages.  But it was apparent we were stuck in perpetual mediocrity where you make the tournament every few years and lose in the first round.

It’s simply incredible how quickly Shaka turned it around.  It is indeed a great time to be a Marquette fan.  Now let’s go win six games!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 02:52:34 PM »
the 14-15 to 20/21 era was not as bleak as many on here pretend. It was not good by any means but people act like there was zero worth cheering for and that it was the dark ages of MU hoops. Call me a glasses half full guy but I still tuned in to watch Rowsey do "the thing", see if Henry could will us to some highlight victories, watch Theo block or foul everyone, see if Howard would go for >30, >40, >50.

Ask Wake Forest fans about their experience during that time period under Danny Manning, things could have been even worse.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 03:01:23 PM »
I disagree. The high seeds are the result of strong regular seasons. Between 2013-2014 and 2020-2021, MU finished with a winning BE record and in the top half of the conference twice. During that time, MU received two NCAA bids and had no victories in the NCAA. Under Shaka, MU has three straight winning seasons in conference, three straight seasons finishing in the top half of the conference, and three straight NCAA bids. Shaka (three seasons) has tied Buzz's MU record (over six seasons) for most wins in the BE tournament and has an NCAA win. We all want wins in the tournament, but IMO it's appropriate to recognize what already been achieved.
I mean no doubt this is better than Wojo, but is that really our bar? Programs are measured on their success in the NCAA tournament. As dumb as it may be for a single elimination tournament, it's true.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 03:02:12 PM »
We're BAAAAAACCCCCKKKK!

Nothing else matters! Now, go kick some backside.

By the way, who is this Wojo character of whom many speak????

feedback