[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Donovan: Sunshine Superman  (Read 5058 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Donovan: Sunshine Superman
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2024, 08:56:29 PM »
Jop couldn't buy a 3, but I thought this was one of his best performances at MU. He was bringing it when no one else was able to.

Mystery to me why Oso was settling all game.
Fatigue?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2024, 09:02:37 PM »
wisblue

I have enjoyed all three years of the Shaka era and have not taken one game for granted. I, like all on here, want to see a deep run and hope that happens. This group has changed MU basketball and that is greatly appreciated by this fan. A deep run would be fantastic, but not needed to impress me.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2024, 09:14:19 PM »
wisblue

I have enjoyed all three years of the Shaka era and have not taken one game for granted. I, like all on here, want to see a deep run and hope that happens. This group has changed MU basketball and that is greatly appreciated by this fan. A deep run would be fantastic, but not needed to impress me.

Goose - seems like you are settling …

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2024, 09:17:04 PM »
Fatigue?
I could buy that if he started settling in the 2nd half, but from the tip? I don't think he went aggressively to the rim a single time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2024, 09:18:55 PM »
Fatigue AND Clingan?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2024, 09:26:16 PM »
Fatigue AND Clingan?

Go watch video of the game at Fiserv, tower. Oso took it right at Clingan, aggressively went into Clingan's chest and backed him off, created space for his shot. I don't think he did that once tonight, and I was a little surprised by it. Jim Jackson said numerous times that Oso needed to be more assertive and less selfish, and this was a time I agreed with the announcer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2024, 09:29:01 PM »
Go watch video of the game at Fiserv, tower. Oso took it right at Clingan, aggressively went into Clingan's chest and backed him off, created space for his shot. I don't think he did that once tonight, and I was a little surprised by it. Jim Jackson said numerous times that Oso needed to be more assertive and less selfish, and this was a time I agreed with the announcer.

Jackson made the same point last nite - sometimes Oso is a bit too passive and needs to be more selfish.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2024, 10:27:43 PM »
They would have sagged off of him. The only way he has consistently gotten involved has been driving. He's hit a couple big shots, but feel like he'd have been an offensive liability today.

He'd have been a defensive plus. And moved Kam into a shooter role.

To say he'd have no effect is to discount the energy Sean brings. He had a huge effect on UConn last year
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2024, 10:44:56 PM »
I thought about this, but just feel that UConn would have gotten rolling anyway. That start was in our favor.

I was there and after seeing them for two games I could sense UCONN’s run coming, it just happened later in the game.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2024, 11:01:16 PM »
I have been dying to use UConn Cornelius, I just haven't been able string it together. 
Bumbles bounces, misfit toys, Rudolph...I can't make it fit.

I've used Clingan Empire before.  Would have been apt.

Nobody wants a Charlie in the box.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2024, 11:44:43 PM »
Agreed.  I am also bullish on this team moving forward.  Keep swinging

I don’t think he was saying he’s bullish.  Soumds more like he’s laying the foundation for not being surprised with a first round exit.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2024, 11:46:21 PM »
Any other game, Sean is useful. But a 5'7" non shooter against a 7'2" baboon? Nah

Sean completely changed the home UCONN game last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2024, 12:00:30 AM »
wisblue

This sounds like expectations have been lowered.  Reality setting in?  What has changed?  They have as much of a chance at an expected deep run as they did before tonight’s game.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:16:39 AM by Shooter McGavin »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2024, 12:02:27 AM »
I thought the same thing OSO wasn’t as aggressive tonight.  Last game he went right into his chest. Tonight all his shots were away from him. No aggression

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2024, 12:07:42 AM »
This sounds like expectations have been lowered.  Reality setting in?  What has changed?  They have as much of a chance at an expectdeep run as they did before tonight’s game.

You’re right. Before tonight’s game, they didn’t have their best player. After tonight’s game, expectations should be set accordingly.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2024, 07:36:25 AM »
Post game presser re: Oso limping

He banged knees and Shaka saw him struggling.  So he sat the last 7 minutes.  Oso said in the locker room that he is fine.

he also had his stones tickled defending a play down the stretch which wouldn't help him walk better as well
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2024, 08:28:56 AM »
Shooter

Expectations are only lowered if TK is not playing. My point on that post was many people remember the last game and not the entire body of work. This group has provided the best run of MU basketball in a long time and that is appreciated. That said, if TK is healthy my expectations remain the same, the FF.

I think this team, if healthy, is much better than last year and more battle tested. I would be very disappointed if MU is not playing for a chance for the FF in two weeks. The only reality that has set in is that I am still unsure if our AA PG will be playing and that concerns me.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2024, 08:42:27 AM »
12.  And no Sean Jones

THANK you! I just mentioned him in my reply to Goose in the "Lingering" thread.

edit: and thanks to others here who have mentioned Sean.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:44:25 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2024, 09:31:03 AM »
Sitting in EWR waiting for our delayed flight home i just want to give a shout out to the MU fans who attended the game yesterday. We were in 224 pretty much surrounded by UConn fans who have several different cheers for their team that they employed from time to time. Kudos to them for traveling well. BUT there were several times that “We are. Marquette.” cheers were started down by the band and made it around MSG. Enough loud participants to cut through the huskie fans. I don’t know if it was enough to be heard on TV but pretty well done by our travelers.

Tower, good job with the last 2 titles.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2024, 09:32:03 AM »
It was loud enough to be clearly heard on TV!  Gus and JJ even made mention of it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2024, 09:35:46 AM »
It was loud enough to be clearly heard on TV!  Gus and JJ even made mention of it.

I heard it, and as my wife likes to remind me lest I forget, my hearing is not as good as it once was.

I'm always proud of Marquette fans making themselves heard on TV. It's here that I get tired of hearing some scoopers who have an obsession with making asses of themselves.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2024, 11:37:54 AM »

Expectations are only lowered if TK is not playing. My point on that post was many people remember the last game and not the entire body of work. This group has provided the best run of MU basketball in a long time and that is appreciated. That said, if TK is healthy my expectations remain the same, the FF.

I think this team, if healthy, is much better than last year and more battle tested. I would be very disappointed if MU is not playing for a chance for the FF in two weeks. The only reality that has set in is that I am still unsure if our AA PG will be playing and that concerns me.

This is precisely where I am too, Goose.

Some would call acknowledging an injury to an All-American player an "excuse," but it's simply acknowledging a fact. Not acknowledging it would be dopey.

With Kolek healthy, anything less than the Final Four would be deeply disappointing for this group. If Kolek can't play, or if he is obviously significantly limited, an intelligent fan is also a realistic fan. I mean, is there a single Scooper who objectively believes a Kolek-less Marquette team can advance to the Final Four?

I've enjoyed the journey a ton, Goose, but I'm really psyched to have arrived at the destination. We Are Marquette!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »
This is precisely where I am too, Goose.

Some would call acknowledging an injury to an All-American player an "excuse," but it's simply acknowledging a fact. Not acknowledging it would be dopey.

With Kolek healthy, anything less than the Final Four would be deeply disappointing for this group. If Kolek can't play, or if he is obviously significantly limited, an intelligent fan is also a realistic fan. I mean, is there a single Scooper who objectively believes a Kolek-less Marquette team can advance to the Final Four?

I've enjoyed the journey a ton, Goose, but I'm really psyched to have arrived at the destination. We Are Marquette!

Really hoping for a deep run, will be devastated with a loss. Though, it’s not a pie in the sky, stars aligned perfectly, this is our one and only chance at winning it all type of deal (ie Dayton covid year). Feel that Shaka will give us a lot of bites at the apple in the coming years and we’ll eventually break through. Hope it happens this year.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:50:04 AM by CountryRoads »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2024, 12:36:42 PM »
Shooter

100% Goose.  TK must be healthy for the deep run.  Just felt that some post mortems were coming in before they should.  Nothing I have seen over the last 2-3 weeks has tamped down my excitement for this team going forward.  If anything it has increased.  But part of my expectations have always been Tyler coming back healthy and I think they played it the right way keeping him out of the Big East tournament.

I just watched the BE Championship game again after watching it in a crowded bar last night without volume. The tenacity and relentlessness of this team in addition to their talent is impressive.  A healthy Kolek is necessary to go to the final four but even without Kolek they can make the sweet sixteen.  This team has a run coming.

Scoop can talk about not getting down on these players if they have an untimely lossafter the season is over.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2024, 01:29:39 PM »

I heard very clearly also  and remarked to my wife that there are plenty of MU hands in the building.

feedback