Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: gut feeling about next three  (Read 2906 times)

mug644

• All American
gut feeling about next three
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »
Maybe I'm not the kind of person who really can stayed focused on one game at a time, 'cuz I couldn't really do it last week either. So, for this week, I've got this feeling that the next 3 BE games might very possibly be a streak, either adding 3 more wins or turning to 3 losses in a row. I think if we win at 'Nova we carry all kinds of energy and potential into the G'town game, which will then continue at 'Cuse. If we lose at 'Nova, we become daunted by the poor matchup with G'town's size, recalling what happened with UConn and Louisville.

Here's hoping 'Nova hit their height with yesterday's win over UConn, and they are ready for a let down.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: gut feeling about next three
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:45:01 AM »
The short turnaround time, travel and the unknown extent of DJ's ankle injury actually have me more worried about tomorrows game than GT.  I think we will upset GT at the Bradley center.  I have been worried about Syracuse since seeing them play UConn.  Should be an exciting end to the season...

mustever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »
This team is on a roll right now,but if anybody who thinks any of the next 3 BE games are a layup,there only fooling themselves.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
This team is on a roll right now,but if anybody who thinks any of the next 3 BE games are a layup,there only fooling themselves.

Who said anything about a layup?  I think just about everyone believes that the next 3 BE games will be very difficult but at the same time we are playing some good basketball.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
I think they've turned the corner a bit and the Mbakwe addition seems to have re-energized the "core" players and, more importantly, lit a fire under Barro.

I see MU going 2-1 this stretch. Just not sure where the loss comes.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
2-1 would be fantastic.  We've got to take care of business at home and steal one of two on the road.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
2-1 would be fantastic.  We've got to take care of business at home and steal one of two on the road.

Agreed. Both Nova and The Cuse are fighting to get in the NCAA. They will be extremely tough games, but I do like the way we have been playing lately. Excellent ball movement.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
2-1 ain't going to get the Bye though. Heck 3-0 may not either, but 2-1 certainly won't.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
the only luck we would have of getting a bye is to have LOU beat Gtown, and then use to beat Gtown.  That also means we have to win out, which i think is possible!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:31:59 PM by robmufan »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »
Or if the 'Cuse would happen to knock off ND today and then they also get beat by UL next week. Either way, if MU loses one more bye, bye bye!!

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
Or if the 'Cuse would happen to knock off ND today and then they also get beat by UL next week. Either way, if MU loses one more bye, bye bye!!

What does the bye matter anyway? Not like Marquette is going to win the BET.

For the record, Marquette got a bye in 05-06 and lost to Georgetown and lost the bye in 06-07 and beat St. John's before losing to Pittsburgh. Maybe sitting for a day didn't help?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »
How do you know they won't win the BE tourney?? With the right draw they could. Especially with Trevor available now. But, the bye matters because the committee would give them a higher seed for finishing 4th in conference as opposed to 5th. Maybe not much of a difference but in their eyes it could/probably will be. It could be the difference between a 5 and a 4 for example.

4everwarriors

• All American
guru...
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
trust me on this one. The bye won't matter to the committee. Personally I'd be fine with the 5 seed. This way they may not be wound so tight on Thurs. after sitting on Wed.
Repeat after me, the purpose of all conference tournaments is to generate revenue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:40:15 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
Well, I look one game at a time - there are no other games in my mind except Villanova right now.  And I think if we play the same "team" game we played against Rutgers, we can win.  Relentless pursuit of the ball, suffocating defense, good outside shooting and going to the hole to score and draw fouls. 
So let's beat Villanova . . . then Ill check the schdule....lol

GO MARQUETTE!!

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »
The short turnaround time, travel and the unknown extent of DJ's ankle injury actually have me more worried about tomorrows game than GT.  I think we will upset GT at the Bradley center.  I have been worried about Syracuse since seeing them play UConn.  Should be an exciting end to the season...

DJ's ankle is as much of an issue as Pat Hazel's 3 point shooting.  He played with no problem in 2nd half and if he was hurting at all he wouldn't have gone back in w/ just 7 min to play and MU up 20.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »

DJ's ankle is as much of an issue as Pat Hazel's 3 point shooting.  He played with no problem in 2nd half and if he was hurting at all he wouldn't have gone back in w/ just 7 min to play and MU up 20.

So you can guarantee that DJs ankle did not swell up after they untaped it and that it will be fine 48 h after the injury?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
I think we go 1-2 down the stretch in the Big East, and I frankly am not sure where the win is coming from.  A win tonight would be huge in terms of reflecting where the team is right now.  This is a game where we have an edge in talent, but they have home court.  I think their homecourt advantage outweighs our talent advantage.  In Milwaukee I think we win 80-90% of the time, but in Philly I think we win 30-40% of the time in this matchup. 

I don't out too much stock in their win against UConn because UConn, despite their winning streak, has been taking the first 20+ minutes of games off for a couple weeks and it finally caught up to them.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
Win out, nab the bye, and dance with a 4 seed.  After careful analysis, that's my projection.  Actually it's not careful analysis, but a gut feeling.  Or indigestion.  But in a good way.