Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I would have rather played DePaul  (Read 5800 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: I would have rather played DePaul
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2024, 07:09:34 AM »
Chase has been good from distance.  His issue has been finishing at the rim, especially through contact.  Big point of development this summer.

Yep.  Love the athleticism, defense and his three point shot seems to be reliable but he  is not a good finisher at the rim in traffic.  Can only do a straight line drive.  Not crafty at all.  Can’t contort his body to get the shot off.  I hope he can improve on it.  But my suspicion is he can’t.  Need Kam to stay next year or our layup line at the rim from our guards is basically over. 

Well let’s enjoy this year and figure that out later.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2024, 07:16:11 AM »
Yeah, I think these games have been very valuable. We will need guys to step up in the tourney, and we have seen some clutch performances.

Also, one of my worries early on was it felt like when the team went on a run, we got panicky and tried to get it all back at once, which compounded things. I haven't seen that much the second half of the season. The experience is really showing.

I liked the attitude when the review didn't go our way.  Jop immediately said something like - allright lets go. 

These guys are battle tested, and if we can something close to full strength Tyler, I like our chance as much as anyone in the coming weeks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2024, 08:00:34 AM »
Yep.  Love the athleticism, defense and his three point shot seems to be reliable but he  is not a good finisher at the rim in traffic.  Can only do a straight line drive.  Not crafty at all.  Can’t contort his body to get the shot off.  I hope he can improve on it.  But my suspicion is he can’t.  Need Kam to stay next year or our layup line at the rim from our guards is basically over. 

Well let’s enjoy this year and figure that out later.
Of course he can improve.  That is what MU is about.  Retention and development.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2024, 08:11:29 AM »
They shot better at the line than us, but miracles do happen
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2024, 09:10:09 AM »
The play call at the end of regulation was great.   The officials ultimately got it right.  Telling Oso to go get a basket with 5 seconds on the shot clock, up 2, when he hasn't made anything and has honestly looked bad all game on offense?   Huevos grande.

MU switched even more than usual yesterday, IMO to stay up on 3 pt shooters.  Stevie spent a lot of time on Dixon, and Oso showed once again he can guard on the perimeter.

Yep. If anything, Oso improved his draft prospects last night. Scouts have known forever that many parts of his offense are a work in progress and that he might never be a shooter. But he showed on the big stage how effective he is at switching and communicating and defending everyone from 6-2 guards to 6-10 bigs, both inside and outside. And offensively, he also delivered some very nice passes.

As a Marquette fan, I wish he'd look to score a little more. He didn't even attempt a single one of his patented push shots. The big jump hook he scored in OT ... I think he could have gotten at least a half-dozen of those in this game. But I'll take what Oso brings every day of the week, and I think several NBA execs are saying the same.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2024, 09:55:22 AM »
and how is this not a technical:

https://twitter.com/TheRisingSKI/status/1768491006435917825

We probably shouldn't be the ones to cast stones...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2024, 10:01:37 AM »

I was going to say, don't go on reddit with this sort of evidence.

They all think Shaka is the biggest offender.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2024, 10:09:17 AM »
Of course he can improve.  That is what MU is about.  Retention and development.

Oh I agree he will improve in many aspects of his game.  Some people are just more natural at finishing around the rim than others.  He doesn’t need to be as good as Kam, not many are, but Ive seen very little to this point that demonstrates he has a good feel for scoring near the rim except for a breakaway dunk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2024, 10:11:10 AM »

So he helps out with blocking every now and again. I'm good with that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2024, 10:23:10 AM »

There were actually a couple times last night where Shaka came onto the floor and put his hands on players and directed them where he wanted them. I recall once with Joplin and once with Ross. On the time with Joplin the ref told him to move back off the floor.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2024, 10:23:32 AM »

Was Neptune trying to get a time out or was he complaining about a shooting foul?  Unhinged

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2024, 10:36:22 AM »
Was Neptune trying to get a time out or was he complaining about a shooting foul?  Unhinged

I think he thought the shooter was bumped.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2024, 11:33:53 AM »

All game long, multiple VU fans near us were complaining about Shaka on the court. I agree we should keep quiet on this.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2024, 11:36:28 AM »
I guess I don't really understand why people get so bent out of shape about coaches being on the court. They all do it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2024, 11:38:18 AM »
I liked the attitude when the review didn't go our way.  Jop immediately said something like - allright lets go. 

That's the Marquette Way!

Never Back Down!!!!!!!

Do the Job!!!!!!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2024, 11:42:27 AM »
I guess I don't really understand why people get so bent out of shape about coaches being on the court. They all do it.

They all do it. 

Shaka does it more than most (if not all), so I can see why it bothers other fans. 

Last night Neptune went to far when he rushed at the ref and should have gotten a T IMO.  Shaka probably could have gotten one at some point as well. 

Refs are inconsistent, this is nothing new.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2024, 01:42:19 PM »
There were actually a couple times last night where Shaka came onto the floor and put his hands on players and directed them where he wanted them. I recall once with Joplin and once with Ross. On the time with Joplin the ref told him to move back off the floor.

Shaka probably should have been T'd up for that, definitely should have received an official warning.

CBS' Matt Norlander talked to a "veteran official" about Shaka's actions in the Creighton game earlier this season and the ref told him:

"I love Shaka, and if I would've T'ed him up for this, he would've been like, 'You're right.' Some others wouldn't have responded that way."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson