Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] BET seed and matchup scenarios  (Read 712 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] BET seed and matchup scenarios
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:36:20 PM »
Still too many unknowns, but figured a good link to keep handy. MU loses the tiebreakers with both Creighton and Seton Hall, so need 1 W to stay out of the 4 seed.

https://painttouches.com/2024/03/05/2024-big-east-tournament-seed-and-matchup-scenarios/

Current Bracket scenario

wisblue

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] BET seed and matchup scenarios
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:43:33 PM »
I think there is one scenario in which MU could get the 3 seed even if they lose both of their games and SH wins both of their games.

If Creighton would also lose at Villanova on Saturday the 3 teams would be tied at 13-7.

That would create a 3 team mini conference that would give Creighton the 2 seed at 3-1 and MU the 3 seed at 2-2 with SH getting the 4 seed at 1-3.

Put another way, as I understand it, the only way MU can fall to the 4 seed is if all of the following happen:

1. MU loses its 2 games,

2. SH wins its 2 games, and

3. Creighton wins at Villanova.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 03:48:01 PM by wisblue »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 04:33:40 PM »
Thanks!

I assumed the mini conference stopped applying once Creighton was elevated and it turned into a H2H, which we'd lose, but I was probably wrong. Will update.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 04:56:32 PM »
I know things can change but the bracket looks good. I like we would play villanova...a tougher game which we still should win is better.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 06:03:33 PM »
I know things can change but the bracket looks good. I like we would play villanova...a tougher game which we still should win is better.

The middle teams are so tightly bunched that things definitely will change. And MU is not a lock for the 2 seed either.

Things will be somewhat clearer after tonight’s and tomorrow night’ games.

A Villanova win over Seton Hall tomorrow would guarantee MU the 2 or 3 seed.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 06:38:25 PM »
wisblue, I’ve read the Big East tiebreaker protocol for three or more teams more than once trying to understand them lol but I agree with your understanding. All three teams have different records within the mini-conference of three, if they didn’t and there were still ties, it gets very convoluted after that. But it does seem
as though SH would come out with the lowest spot in a three-way tie, the way I read it.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 07:19:06 PM »
wisblue, I’ve read the Big East tiebreaker protocol for three or more teams more than once trying to understand them lol but I agree with your understanding. All three teams have different records within the mini-conference of three, if they didn’t and there were still ties, it gets very convoluted after that. But it does seem
as though SH would come out with the lowest spot in a three-way tie, the way I read it.

In this situation the result is resolved by the opening sentences. You can ignore all of the subsections that follow

feedback