Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Observations of the game today  (Read 4452 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Observations of the game today
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2024, 10:15:07 AM »
Goose: half-serious, half-kidding question for you ...

Why is Ben Gold (career 30% 3-pt) a "shooter" but not Greg Elliott (career 40% 3-pt)?

I'm having some fun here, yes, but I'm also trying to understand how someone whose basketball knowledge I truly respect decides whether someone is a shooter or not.

I wonder if it has something to do with optics. He is a stretch four and looks like he can shoot, he has a compact, quick release, he doesn’t use his legs much as someone mentioned which is a plus, he has shown he can make them, we want it to be true.

I am in the camp of everyone shoot every time they have a good shot, everyone bring the ball up (except Jop), everyone get out on the break, everyone rebound. So even thought BG didn’t have the best shooting game, I say keep shooting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2024, 01:12:59 PM »

Fair questions. I do not believe GE was recruited because he was a shooter and believe that was a big appeal on recruiting Ben. TK is shooting about 40% from three and I do not consider him a shooter.

I could be proven completely wrong, but I believe Ben is one of those guys that if you are an opposing fan you do not want to see him shooting a wide open three down the road. We saw that with  Creighton guys yesterday, you simply do not want to see certain guys with wide open looks.

Imo, Kam is that kind of shooter and no one else on MU at the moment. Again, I am looking at his form and what other smart basketball people think of his shooting skills.

Thanks for this reasonable response. Personally, I’ll go with results over optics re Gold v Elliott, but I’ll tack on a “so far.” Because, like you, I think we’ll be pretty happy about Ben’s shooting before he’s finished at Marquette. He already has had long stretches of outstanding shooting for MU.

And yes, Kam is both a shooter and a scorer. He goes through slumps sometimes too, but so do Curry and Durant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »
The problem I have had all year long is the way we use Joplin. He can be deadly from three, but we seem to emphasize him driving to the basket. He should drive when he has an open lane. I do not like him continually trying to back down players. I rather have him being set up to take threes.

I see him as a similar type player to Scheierman.
Scheierman took 17 shots and 12 were from three.
Joplin took 13 shots and 3 were from three.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 06:50:59 PM by bilsu »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2024, 06:51:06 PM »
I think Joplin should pound the paint, but think he should be fed down there rather than driving into the paint. Get him the ball down low and he can fill up the basket. I would rather see Jop down low and going to the basket. He has shown over the last six weeks he can deliver down low and I hope we see more of it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2024, 06:56:55 PM »
Joplin is noticeable because his one on one stuff is not as quick and free flowing as the other 4 starters.    But the concepts are similar.  Try and force a switch and then isolate it.   Jop simply is not as quick. But they want him to do it.  If they didn't, they wouldn't keep running it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2024, 08:15:44 AM »
🚀🚀🚀🚀

the real don kojis is rolling in his grave asking this numbskull to quit soiling his name.  it's very revealing donny didn't come back to rebut anything that was said.  say goodnight dick

i know it's not easy to accept anything short of victory, BUT this team fought hard and should be commended for it's efforts.  they had no business being in this game for 30-35 minutes as they were.  great reflections on our coach and players.  if we weren't so gassed by the end, I really believed we had a chance to pull off a nice little upset

Print it, frame it & hang it in the F’n Louvre. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 08:18:05 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2024, 01:09:30 PM »
Joplin is noticeable because his one on one stuff is not as quick and free flowing as the other 4 starters.    But the concepts are similar.  Try and force a switch and then isolate it.   Jop simply is not as quick. But they want him to do it.  If they didn't, they wouldn't keep running it.

Jop's improvement over the last 10 games going to the hoop and in the post has been pretty incredible. It's great to see.

There's not one guy on this team that isn't playing his best ball of the season. Oso is the only possible exception, but he's playing great too.