Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83055 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2024, 07:22:10 AM »
When Kolek returns, our entire team will be stronger than it was before his injury. The Xavier and Nova games were won by our players rising to new levels and learning how to play in a Kolek-less game. I really liked seeing the ball movement last night on some possessions, even though it was not always at Kolek levels. Even in the losses to Creighton and UCONN, the team came together. We have seen individual players rise to higher levels in both abilities and confidence.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2024, 08:02:16 AM »
Is Kolek doing pregame warm ups, layups, shooting 3s? 
I’d think the issue is less about contact then arms above the head, rebounding shooting etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #552 on: March 15, 2024, 08:10:28 AM »
Jesus people. Nothing to play for? How about defending their BET title? I know fans have written that off but I guarentee the team hasn't. If the docs day Tyler is good to go then play the man. F#ckem to anyone who disagrees

I am one who thinks having Kolek at 100% effectiveness (or as close as possible to it) for the NCAA tournament is more important than defending our BET title. And I happen to believe Shaka does, too, though he would never publicly admit it.

That said, I got into last night's game, celebrated when Kam's shot went in, and was as intently watching the OT just as I would have if Kolek were healthy and playing in it.

One can want to win every game - and even the BET title - without wanting to compromise the ability of the team to win a national title. Which both Oso and Shaka called our ultimate goal.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 15, 2024, 08:28:35 AM »
I’d think the issue is less about contact then arms above the head, rebounding shooting etc.
Yes.  He is shooting 3's and doing most non-contact work.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2024, 08:49:25 AM »
It's funny bc it always seemed like Old Heads in the Big East disregarded the conf title and only observed the BET.

BUT if we win the BET I guarantee you UConn will suddenly become a "regular season matters" community. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 09:01:29 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #555 on: March 15, 2024, 08:49:59 AM »

No doctor, but I think the issue is twisting his body in irregular ways, so I don’t think most of these tell us enough.  It’s the one-handed whip passes that I think would cause problems and I don’t think we’ve seen him do anything like that in warm ups yet. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 15, 2024, 08:56:37 AM »
It seems overly clear to me, in every press conference and interview, that Shaka and the team are saying TKO will be back for the NCAA tourney.  I have no doubt they are saying this to ensure his injury doesn't impact seeding.  The words they are using are so definitive that I believe it to be true, but if this were the middle of the season they'd be talking differently about the injury.  There's a small part of me that worries they aren't as confident in his return as they seem but are doing what they can in regards to selection Sunday.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2024, 09:00:04 AM »
It's funny bc it always seemed like Old Heads in the Big East disregarded the conf title and only observed the BET.

BUT if win the BET I guarantee you UConn will suddenly become a "regular season matters" community.

UConn will always flip depending on what they've won that season.

Personally, I've always thought a regular season title is more impressive than a tournament title.  To me the conference tournaments are fun, but they really don't mean anything unless you need it to get in the big dance.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2024, 09:15:43 AM »
Just think, if MU makes a deep run in the NCAA tournament, coaches will start sitting their best players for the last 4-5 games to get the other players new experiences

brewnewsman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2024, 09:15:57 AM »

https://x.com/kevinmcnamara33/status/1768632345630798053?s=46&t=uFtqmm1TKrmbuBin1s2znw

Shaka Smart last night on Tyler Kolek: ‘To this point he’s not been cleared to play. And we're confident that that will change soon. But we don't know if that's soon as in (Friday). But he's going to play next week. Obviously we'd love to win the Big East tournament.’

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2024, 09:16:01 AM »
Jesus people. Nothing to play for? How about defending their BET title? I know fans have written that off but I guarentee the team hasn't. If the docs day Tyler is good to go then play the man. F#ckem to anyone who disagrees
I agree. Hurley and UCONN seem fired up to win this thing.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2024, 09:20:39 AM »
I am one who thinks having Kolek at 100% effectiveness (or as close as possible to it) for the NCAA tournament is more important than defending our BET title. And I happen to believe Shaka does, too, though he would never publicly admit it.

That said, I got into last night's game, celebrated when Kam's shot went in, and was as intently watching the OT just as I would have if Kolek were healthy and playing in it.

One can want to win every game - and even the BET title - without wanting to compromise the ability of the team to win a national title. Which both Oso and Shaka called our ultimate goal.

I think Tyko will play in the NCAA tournament, but I do have some concern about rust after about a month of no action.  I'm hoping that he can shake off the rust against an inferior #15 or #14 seed, but truthfully I thought he would play a bit in the BET.  Truncated mins of course. 

DefinitelyNotPorterMoser

• Walk-On
« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2024, 09:26:41 AM »
The only reason you'd play Kolek this week is to prove to the committee that he's healthy enough to not dock Marquette a seed line or two. Now that they have two Quad 1 wins without him, that's not a concern.

The 1 seed seems out of reach as well.

I have a hard time seeing Marquette slip to a 3 right now. They have a better resume than Creighton. I can't see both Iowa State and Baylor jumping over them. Duke lost. Even if it wins the SEC, Kentucky's resume won't be better.

Beat Providence tonight and you can etch that 2 seed in stone, but it's still a #donedeal in my books.

Play Kolek 10-15 minutes against the 15 seed on Friday, then let him rest up to go 35 on Sunday.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2024, 09:33:36 AM »
The only reason you'd play Kolek this week is to prove to the committee that he's healthy enough to not dock Marquette a seed line or two. Now that they have two Quad 1 wins without him, that's not a concern.

The 1 seed seems out of reach as well.

I have a hard time seeing Marquette slip to a 3 right now. They have a better resume than Creighton. I can't see both Iowa State and Baylor jumping over them. Duke lost. Even if it wins the SEC, Kentucky's resume won't be better.

Beat Providence tonight and you can etch that 2 seed in stone, but it's still a #donedeal in my books.

Play Kolek 10-15 minutes against the 15 seed on Friday, then let him rest up to go 35 on Sunday.

Don't mess around in the first round. You play him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2024, 09:41:42 AM »
It seems overly clear to me, in every press conference and interview, that Shaka and the team are saying TKO will be back for the NCAA tourney.  I have no doubt they are saying this to ensure his injury doesn't impact seeding.  The words they are using are so definitive that I believe it to be true, but if this were the middle of the season they'd be talking differently about the injury.  There's a small part of me that worries they aren't as confident in his return as they seem but are doing what they can in regards to selection Sunday.

Tyler is going to the play in the NCAAT regardless.  Dude is tough as nails.  He'd play with a much more serious injury.  I think the sitting out now has much more to do with not making the injury worse than his inability to tough it out if it was needed.  I believe he'd be playing if these games were must wins.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2024, 09:43:44 AM »

Matt Painter is on line one. Something about last year's Fairleigh-Dickinson game.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2024, 09:44:54 AM »

I agree with your sentiment but next year's team, assuming Kam stays and TK and Oso move on, scored 67 of our 71 points last night. Oso was pretty much a non-entity. F#ckem we can win the title without TK.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2024, 09:59:18 AM »
I feel like if Kolek took one shot like Stevie got last night on the baseline his season would be over. I say wait until the first round of the NCAA. I do not care about the BET.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2024, 10:06:43 AM »

I think Tyko will play in the NCAA tournament, but I do have some concern about rust after about a month of no action.  I'm hoping that he can shake off the rust against an inferior #15 or #14 seed, but truthfully I thought he would play a bit in the BET.  Truncated mins of course.

Zero concerns about rust next week.

Yep yep yep. If he’s deemed healthy, you play him as much as necessary. Period.

F#ckem we can win the title without TK.

We most certainly can’t, at least not this season. I’ll worry about next season months from now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2024, 10:09:05 AM »
I keep saying it and its wild that I have to

Sitting TK or "10-15 minutes" of TK in 1st round is a flat out mental suggestion if hes cleared to play. LIke its flat out stupid. That game still matters and its still a threat. You dont just save your bullets for what isnt guaranteed.

Now as I also keep saying, if we end up cookin that 14/15 seed and are up 25 early 2nd half. Of course, send him to the pine. But id also be sending Kam, Oso and Stevie to the pine a lot that half as well.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2024, 10:12:18 AM »
I keep saying it and its wild that I have to

Sitting TK or "10-15 minutes" of TK in 1st round is a flat out mental suggestion if hes cleared to play. LIke its flat out stupid. That game still matters and its still a threat. You dont just save your bullets for what isnt guaranteed.

Now as I also keep saying, if we end up cookin that 14/15 seed and are up 25 early 2nd half. Of course, send him to the pine. But id also be sending Kam, Oso and Stevie to the pine a lot that half as well.

It's called resource management.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2024, 10:12:24 AM »
I agree with your sentiment but next year's team, assuming Kam stays and TK and Oso move on, scored 67 of our 71 points last night. Oso was pretty much a non-entity. F#ckem we can win the title without TK.
I'll smoke what you are smoking!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2024, 10:29:07 AM »
With how physical the BET games have been, it doesnt make sense to play Tyler. Save him for the big show, let him heal.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2024, 10:36:41 AM »
From Ben Steele's article this AM:
"Tyler has been practicing," Smart said. "Tyler is eager to come back. But probably the most conservative person in the room is our trainer and our doctor, and that's how it should be.
"So to this point, he's not been cleared to play in the game. And we're confident that will change soon. But we don't know if that's as soon as (Friday).
"But he's going to play next week (in the NCAA Tournament). Obviously we'd love to win the Big East tournament. We'd love to win tomorrow night. I think what our guys are showing these last couple of games, and even the two games we lost without Tyler is that we can compete with anyone, even while he's recovering."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2024, 10:47:00 AM »
while I hope TK does not play until the NCAA, I am 100% fine to play him this weekend if 100%. That said, while I never want MYU to lose, I am not falling into the trap to do whatever is needed to win this weekend. To be honest, if somehow they could win the BE without TK, it would be a major, major accomplishment.

Elons culture thread really sums up what MU basketball is all about in 2024. The basketball has not been as beautiful with TK and that is to be expected, but the drive and grit has been on full display. Experience, grit and culture can carry a team a long way. This is team and program that is very easy to cheer for, even with occasional stupid play, missed free throw or bad turnover.