Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83216 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #450 on: March 13, 2024, 10:49:00 AM »
That's honestly a non sequitur Fluffy.  We're talking about basic facts here and why there actually is a difference between a #2 or #3 seed. 

I never said there wasn't an actual difference. Just not one to be concerned about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #451 on: March 13, 2024, 10:49:05 AM »
The biggest issue for me is the rust Kolek will need to shake off. I was really hoping for this to happen in a relatively meaningless BE tourney game. I could easily see the Kolek we saw vs Mich St last year (with the thumb injury) in his first game back and if that is the case I would not at all be surprised if MU has a quick stay in the NCAA Tourney. I know this is doom and gloom but in my mind it is terrible news that he looks like he is not playing at all in the BE Tourney. My expectations for this team just dropped significantly.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #452 on: March 13, 2024, 10:52:28 AM »
This is an angle I hadn't thought about but you may have a point.  My general take is him not playing at all in the BET is a bit of a concern.  If he could go 20 mins or so I think he puts himself in a better position to succeed in the NCAA tournament.

Now, maybe our 1st game will allow him to ease into playing full throttle a week from Sat/Sun but that's a major risk.  We desperately need the young man CR, and the idea of him not playing a game in like a month worries me a bit.

Yes, definitely a tough situation.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #453 on: March 13, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
#uckfayed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #454 on: March 13, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »
Well, I'm not worried. Teams with national championship aspirations shouldn't be worried about their first round opponent. If they lose, they likely weren't going to win it all anyway.

Sorry you two are worried about it. Just adds to your lists I guess.

the Marquette Worrier malady affects include intensified pants-pissing the week before the tourney...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #455 on: March 13, 2024, 10:59:38 AM »
the Marquette Worrier malady affects include intensified pants-pissing the week before the tourney...

Like reading you in the game thread
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2024, 11:01:06 AM »
#uckfayed, aina?

Oddly feel more confident of their chances now
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 13, 2024, 11:05:00 AM »
Who is this guy?

He's a scoop contributor, goes by the handle of Uncle Rico

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #458 on: March 13, 2024, 11:05:16 AM »
White Sox Bill- Uncle Rico's burner account.

Oh no way, you knew too?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 13, 2024, 11:06:45 AM »
Who is this guy?

Seems like it might be a Dodds board poster, as that's what's being reported there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 13, 2024, 11:08:23 AM »

Exactly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #461 on: March 13, 2024, 11:15:11 AM »
Conference tournaments no matta unless you need it to get into the NCAAs.

Extra week of rest is a no brainer.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2024, 11:16:42 AM »

Next man up, aina?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2024, 11:17:24 AM »
The biggest issue for me is the rust Kolek will need to shake off. I was really hoping for this to happen in a relatively meaningless BE tourney game. I could easily see the Kolek we saw vs Mich St last year (with the thumb injury) in his first game back and if that is the case I would not at all be surprised if MU has a quick stay in the NCAA Tourney. I know this is doom and gloom but in my mind it is terrible news that he looks like he is not playing at all in the BE Tourney. My expectations for this team just dropped significantly.

There is no shortage of cliches' available, and I think this one fits:

"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you may never incur."
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2024, 11:32:13 AM »
Shaknada will figure this out.  House Money at this point.  Need the bench to step up consistently. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2024, 11:33:28 AM »
Zero to really gain by playing Kolek tomorrow. If MU loses to Nova, so be it.

If they beat Nova and want to dress Kolek against Creighton, fine (even if he only goes through warmups).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2024, 11:34:06 AM »
That's honestly a non sequitur Fluffy.  We're talking about basic facts here and why there actually is a difference between a #2 or #3 seed.

Theres a difference but its negligible. Its not like the difference between a 1/2 seed or 3/4 seed. 14 seeds arent that much better than 15 seeds. 6 seeds aren't that much better than 7 seeds. And in the sweet 16, youre in the 2/3 game whether youre a 2 or a 3 seed. The important part is avoiding the 1 seed until the elite 8.

Plus, this may be an odd year where the seven seeds may actually be better than the 6 seeds. I'm seeing a lot of brackets where teams like Nevada, Utah St, Washington St, and South Carolina are on the 6 seed line. Id love to draw any of those in the second round
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2024, 11:34:29 AM »
Kolek ruled out for game 1 of BET.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2024, 11:35:30 AM »
Kolek ruled out for game 1 of BET.

Man has landed on the moon.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2024, 11:36:47 AM »
Theres a difference but its negligible. Its not like the difference between a 1/2 seed or 3/4 seed. 14 seeds arent that much better than 15 seeds. 6 seeds aren't that much better than 7 seeds. And in the sweet 16, youre in the 2/3 game whether youre a 2 or a 3 seed. The important part is avoiding the 1 seed until the elite 8.

Plus, this may be an odd year where the seven seeds may actually be better than the 6 seeds. I'm seeing a lot of brackets where teams like Nevada, Utah St, Washington St, and South Carolina are on the 6 seed line. Id love to draw any of those in the second round

Agreed.  Matchups, which are out of our hands either way, is a bigger deal than the difference between a 6 and 7 seed.

MUpugnacity

• Walk-On
« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:38 AM »

A 3 seed is probably sending us to Omaha and a 2 seed to Indy. Indy would give TK an extra day off. The difference between 22 and 23 days off for TK probably won’t matter but it’s something.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2024, 11:51:38 AM »
The 3 seed gives you the chance to play an 11 seed in the event of an upset.

I'd prefer a 2 seed, but looking at the positives of a 3. I also think Omaha wouldn't be bad. Indy worries me a bit if we get a Big Ten team second round. Also, it's a road trip we are familiar with.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2024, 12:15:48 PM »
If Kolek is still injured and its not a precautionary reason to not be playing tomorrow than I would be shocked if he played the following week in the NCAA tournament. 1 week isn't going to improve you that significant.

Also if he doesn't play against Nova and Marquette wins I doubt he plays the next day being 1 day of extra rest.

It’s all about risk. Not playing  potential 3 games mitigates him re-aggravating the injury. Smart move by the staff.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2024, 12:17:19 PM »
Would the Creighton crowd in Omaha cheer for Marquette?  Personally, I cheer for other Big East teams in the NCAA tournament.  Based on Twitter experiences I get the sense most Big East fans cheer for their fellow conference members with the exception of Providence fans.  Providence fans just want to watch everything burn.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #474 on: March 13, 2024, 12:18:46 PM »
Can’t imagine Tyler would be ok not trying for at least 14 seconds (no porcini) in they tourney, and the staff would say “fine, you’ve earned that”

May be ugly, but I envision him on the court at some point this month
The tourney*

feedback