Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83178 times)

romey

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2024, 01:45:04 PM »
If the doctors say there is a low chance of re-injuring it and Tyler wants to go, then, yes, I play him at 85%
Agreed.  You can definitely limit his minutes if needed.  Get him sweating again.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2024, 01:47:02 PM »
I’d venture to guess that 100% isn’t a reality for most guys on the team at this stage in the season.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2024, 01:47:52 PM »
I’d venture to guess that 100% isn’t a reality for most guys on the team at this stage in the season.

I’m pretty sure Jonah is close.  However those sideline celebrations and late game threes start to take a toll.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2024, 01:53:20 PM »

Yeah, but there's a difference between "my knee's a little sore" or "my back's a little tight" ... and "I'm trying to work back from a pretty significant injury to my core."

Everybody's got bumps and bruises, but only one Marquette player strained an oblique muscle badly enough to have to miss 3 big games already.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2024, 02:18:40 PM »
Yeah, but there's a difference between "my knee's a little sore" or "my back's a little tight" ... and "I'm trying to work back from a pretty significant injury to my core."

Everybody's got bumps and bruises, but only one Marquette player strained an oblique muscle badly enough to have to miss 3 big games already.
Will Have to go through Return to Play protocol. My guess is that TyKo will  need  to demonstrate full range of motion, without pain and not worsen the existing injury. If he can pass the protocol 100 Percent, it then becomes a question of conditioning. If his conditioning is less than 100 Percent but something north of 80 then probably a go, even if on a minutes restriction . 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2024, 02:24:51 PM »
His conditioning won't be a problem.  I'm sure it's easily at least 80%; he's only been out a week-and-a-half.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2024, 02:26:41 PM »
Yeah I’m not worried about conditioning.

It’ll be two weeks off by BE tourney. That’s not crazy.

Plus he’s been biking and lifting some.

Conditioning isn’t the worry for me
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2024, 02:27:17 PM »
Will Have to go through Return to Play protocol. My guess is that TyKo will  need  to demonstrate full range of motion, without pain and not worsen the existing injury. If he can pass the protocol 100 Percent, it then becomes a question of conditioning. If his conditioning is less than 100 Percent but something north of 80 then probably a go, even if on a minutes restriction .

lol
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 11, 2024, 02:29:39 PM »

Please relay back to us how it goes.  I assume you'll be there with him for it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2024, 02:33:36 PM »
If the doctors say there is a low chance of re-injuring it and Tyler wants to go, then, yes, I play him at 85%

Same.

At the very least get his legs back under him and some continuity back before playing those win or go homes.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 11, 2024, 02:36:59 PM »
If the doctors say he can play I would do everything I could to get him some mins this week. If for no other reason than to let him test where he is physically before the higher stakes next week.

I couldn't agree more.  I think waiting until a week from Thurs or Fri would make it really difficult for him from a rust and conditioning standpoint.  As Tower stated, if there's no chance of further exacerbating the injury, let him drop dimes and shred people at 85%. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 11, 2024, 02:40:42 PM »
With this kind of injury, can doctors actually guarantee that there's no chance of aggravating it?

If "no chance of making it worse" is the litmus test, the next time we see Kolek back on the court might be this summer at the NBA Combine.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 11, 2024, 02:47:32 PM »
With this kind of injury, can doctors actually guarantee that there's no chance of aggravating it?

If "no chance of making it worse" is the litmus test, the next time we see Kolek back on the court might be this summer at the NBA Combine.

No
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #363 on: March 11, 2024, 02:48:36 PM »
This thread has been entertaining, bringing out some decent (and indecent) scoop sarcastic humor....but...

Does anyone know anything!??
I saw him shoot before the game. They say he has an Oblique strain.  WebMD type sites say treatment is rest, physical therapy, and ibprofen. and  "If you have a mild strain, you should be fully functional after a few weeks. If you have a serious strain, it could take more than six weeks to heal completely."  And we also know that he's got good sports doctors and he's a tough kid in great health otherwise.

Anything else?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2024, 03:15:37 PM »
Anything else?

Midterm grades post at noon tomorrow

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2024, 03:36:01 PM »
Midterm grades post at noon tomorrow

"Grades"....hmmm....what are those?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #366 on: March 11, 2024, 05:12:29 PM »

No but there are some injuries that can be played through and they are just painful or require things like ankle stabilizers or rib cage protectors etc

For example I have seen lots of cases in my kids college career, and that of others,  of torn shoulder labrums where the player took time off for PT to get range of motion , came back and played remainder of season, then had off season surgery.

I don’t know how this specific muscle group works.

I do know in every injury situation of more than a week there was some element of reconditioning necessary
            ---Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 11, 2024, 07:01:36 PM »

Scoop takes are always so hot.

You think a 22ish year old division 1 basketball players conditioning has deteriorated in a couple of weeks?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #368 on: March 11, 2024, 08:08:06 PM »

You think a 22ish year old division 1 basketball players conditioning has deteriorated in a couple of weeks?
Potentially Yes. Depends on what he is allowed to do the last couple of weeks.
            ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 11, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
Potentially Yes. Depends on what he is allowed to do the last couple of weeks.

I agree with this analysis.  But on the upside, while he may lose some wind/stamina if he's largely been limited to bike riding, his body should feel a lot better overall from a wear/tear standpoint.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2024, 12:39:32 PM »

Give him a break he's been dead for over 3.5 yrs
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2024, 12:41:50 PM »
This thread has been entertaining, bringing out some decent (and indecent) scoop sarcastic humor....but...

Does anyone know anything!??
I saw him shoot before the game. They say he has an Oblique strain.  WebMD type sites say treatment is rest, physical therapy, and ibprofen. and  "If you have a mild strain, you should be fully functional after a few weeks. If you have a serious strain, it could take more than six weeks to heal completely."  And we also know that he's got good sports doctors and he's a tough kid in great health otherwise.

Anything else?
To quote Saruman "Scoop knows all!"
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »
Let's say Kolek doesn't play in the BET but he's cleared to practice starting Monday and to play in our NCAAT opener on Friday 3/22.

He'd have three full days of practice, an NCAAT opener against a 15 seed, and another full day of practice before facing a more challenging opponent on 3/24.

His conditioning by then would be just fine.

The only concern is getting the oblique healed. If that's deemed OK, and if there are no setbacks, TK will be great and Marquette will be ready to roll.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2024, 01:37:04 PM »
Let's say Kolek doesn't play in the BET but he's cleared to practice starting Monday and to play in our NCAAT opener on Friday 3/22.

He'd have three full days of practice, an NCAAT opener against a 15 seed, and another full day of practice before facing a more challenging opponent on 3/24.

The only concern is getting the oblique healed. If that's deemed OK, and if there are no setbacks, TK will be great and Marquette will be ready to roll.

In order to make the two line, we need to make the BET finals or Creighton would need to lose in the quarters.  I think if we lose to Creighton in the semis they get the two and we get the three.  They got why more credit beating us without our two best players than they deserved. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2024, 01:39:12 PM »

I agree with this analysis.  I also feel he should be held out of Big East tournament, even if "cleared."  End of the day more rest/restriction time from potentially strenuous twisting/contorting of the body, would seem beneficial for an injury like this.

We won a Big East regular and tourney championship last year - NCAA tournament success much more important.  Why potentially risk it  (error on the side of very conservative) for Big East tourney?