Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 22, 2024, 07:26:16 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by rocky_warrior
[May 22, 2024, 06:25:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BCHoopster
[May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by tower912
[May 22, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83207 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2024, 08:40:30 AM »
I think things are on track.  Kolek is progressing every day.  Resuming weightlifting earlier this week was the first sign of progress.  Resuming basketball activities (even if it's just shooting 5 footers) is another positive sign.

Things are building positively.  Kolek has plenty of time to expand the shooting range over the next several days.  If he's cleared to practice by Wednesday, great.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2024, 08:50:50 AM »
The only game I would play Kolek in before the NCAA tournament is a semi-final Big East matchup, if it is against Creighton. Creighton is not a physical team and I believe we will beat them with Kolek. They should not play him more than one game in Big East tournament. Too much risk playing back-to-back games.
One game gets rust off from not playing.

I also would not play him in a first round NCAA matchup. We should be able to beat a 14th seed without Kolek.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2024, 08:54:35 AM »
The only game I would play Kolek in before the NCAA tournament is a semi-final Big East matchup, if it is against Creighton. Creighton is not a physical team and I believe we will beat them with Kolek. They should not play him more than one game in Big East tournament. Too much risk playing back-to-back games.

I also would not play him in a first round NCAA matchup. We should be able to beat a 14th seed without Kolek.

You also don’t really wanna just hold him until the in 3/6 round of 32 game and Kolek hasn’t played in 3+ weeks. Recipe to have bad Kolek like we did in the tourney last year with the wrist issue.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2024, 08:59:25 AM »
Don't overthink this.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2024, 09:02:53 AM »

I kind of agree here. Even if cleared, if there is a possibility of re-injury from coming back too soon I would sit Tyler until the NCAAt.

That gives him an entire extra week of recovery.

I agree with the part about Creighton not being a violent team, but this is a non-violent injury. Seems like the torquing of the body on a pass could re-injure it.

I also agree on the concept of sitting him versus the 15/14 seed, but I’d have a different approach there.
I’d start him to bring back normalcy and get some game time connectivity and I’d only give him 20 mins of run, assuming it was in hand.
Then full go in game 2.

The stakes are too high to run any additional risk before 3/21-22.
I get that if he’s cleared and wants to play you have to respect his decision, but with it being a non-contact injury I’d try to convince him that this approach is best.

romey

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2024, 09:05:22 AM »
I think things are on track.  Kolek is progressing every day.  Resuming weightlifting earlier this week was the first sign of progress.  Resuming basketball activities (even if it's just shooting 5 footers) is another positive sign.

Things are building positively.  Kolek has plenty of time to expand the shooting range over the next several days.  If he's cleared to practice by Wednesday, great.

Mid-range?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2024, 09:12:13 AM »
I kind of agree here. Even if cleared, if there is a possibility of re-injury from coming back too soon I would sit Tyler until the NCAAt.

If there's a risk of re-injury, then he shouldn't be cleared for the BET.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2024, 09:17:48 AM »

If that’s how MU handled the BET by only playing Kolek in the semifinal and they won, the optics would be terrible sitting him for the championship. It’s not a bad idea, just not realistic.

NCAAT is one and done. Would be a lifetime of regret resting him in round 1 and losing. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2024, 09:22:15 AM »
Anyone who thinks TK should sit round 1 of ncaa even if cleared is nuts and clearly hasn’t watched the ncaa tournament in about a decade

Insane notion, if he’s cleared.

Now, if we go full darkness on the opponent and it turns into a route? Absolutely. To the bench you go Tyler.

But sitting a cleared player in a ncaa game to hope he’s healthy in the game that’s not guaranteed is bat crap insane.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2024, 09:22:23 AM »
I agree with this. When he is ready, play him, be it versus UCONN or #14 seed.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2024, 09:38:33 AM »
As some may know, I recently had an intercostal muscle strain (maybe similar to oblique?? But muscle tears in/around the rib cage area). The pain was intense and severe, and initially I thought I had cracked a rib(s).

For several days, the pain was crazy when doing certain things such as coughing and laughing. I was out of commission and my pickleball paddle was collecting cobwebs.

Around 10 days in I felt like I could go again and I think it was around 2 weeks, it was feeling pretty much all better.

So, I feel there is hope for Tyler.

That said, even if he’s doing great and is healthy and say we magically advance to the second weekend, I’ll continue to have nightmares and awful thoughts about him potentially making a move where it happens again and he’s dunzo. Every day will be a mental struggle for me in that regard.

PS - I approve of administering any type of drug or treatment to help him play
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2024, 09:39:19 AM »
Isn't there always a risk of re-injury?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2024, 09:40:51 AM »

Yes. That’s why if he’s feeling great next week, I might play him. See what the reaction and short-term effective treatments may be if things get aggravated, in advance of the NCAA tourney.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2024, 09:44:40 AM »
Yes. That’s why if he’s feeling great next week, I might play him. See what the reaction and short-term effective treatments may be if things get aggravated, in advance of the NCAA tourney.
If he's cleared and he feels good I think you have to test it out, even if for severely limited minutes...see how it feels after some game action

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2024, 10:07:42 AM »

Agreed

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 08, 2024, 10:08:12 AM »
Maybe we should rest him until the NCAA Championship game. Bubble wrap him until then.  Come on guys.  I get the consternation, but these very well could be his last collegiate games. 

I get my viewpoint is different than most here, I want to win everything so that includes conference season titles, Big East Tournament titles and NCAA titles.  They all mean something.  I think winning is a culture we all want.  I don't care about tomorrow; I care about today.  If he is cleared to play, he should play.  Can't worry about reaggravating an injury.  If he is not cleared than he doesn't play.

Kolek is a competitor, a WARRIOR.  I am sure he wants to be out there playing as soon as possible.  His collegiate career is quickly winding down.  If he is cleared to play next week Thursday, he should play.  Trust the staff. 

His MU career has potentially come down to elimination games (holding out hope for a return next year).  Only 2 guaranteed games after Saturday.  I want another title, be it Big East Tournament or NCAA.  You want a winning program, a winning culture, you play to win every game, every tournament. 

If we really want to have tunnel vision and only care about the NCAA tournament, no sense in playing any of our top 7 players the next 2 games.  Bubble wrap them all.  Let Stevie's wrist heal, Kam's ankle heal and let's isolate Oso and Chase so they don't get anyone else sick for the next for the next 12 days or so. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 08, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »

Technically speaking, yes.  But what is the risk of re-injury?  Is it significantly greater than a pre-injury state or about the same?  That determines whether Kolek is cleared for the BET.

And the threshold for being cleared for the BET should be higher than the threshold for the NCAA tournament.  A little more risk is acceptable when the season's on the line.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 08, 2024, 10:26:46 AM »
I know this is not a popular concept here, but I think Kolek, Shaka, and Kolek's doctor should confer and make the decisions.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #293 on: March 08, 2024, 10:35:11 AM »
I think

Cut it out.  No place for that here.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2024, 10:51:19 AM »
Cut it out.  No place for that here.

My apologies. You are absolutely right. Mea Culpa. I guess it's a variation of Descartes, huh? "I think, therefore I'm banned."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:20:21 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 08, 2024, 11:35:33 AM »
Don't overthink this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ban dis guy!
This is what we do here at scoop.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2024, 12:15:53 PM »
For what it's worth, I have been the biggest skeptic of him coming back at all this year based on the injury, plus with how gingerly he looked at the UCONN game yet, as I was in attendance. My wife is a PT and she said the progression he's shown, based on the reporting and assuming they are true, is on par - she thinks he'll be back to almost 100% by next Thursday if he doesn't overdo his PT and reaggravate it. She's been adamant the whole time that its a 2-3 week injury, and the first 7-10 days are the worst. She told me in lame-man's terms that it's similar to a really bad bruise, the first few days its extremely painful to the touch, but after a week or so, you notice it, but very little.

Sorry but I definitely trust our expert Scoop doctors more. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2024, 12:18:06 PM »
Sorry but I definitely trust our expert Scoop doctors more.

Well, there certainly are a ton of them. They can't all be wrong, can they? So there's that.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2024, 12:23:27 PM »
TK doesn’t play until cleared by the MU dental school. Full stop.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 03:50:21 PM by Viper »

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2024, 12:31:43 PM »
TK doesn’t pay until cleared by the MU dental school. Full stop.

🤣 that oblique and those molars are ready for some NCAA meat 🥩!!!

feedback