[Today at 06:45:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams  (Read 10773 times)

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
Re: Buzz Williams
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2024, 05:02:18 PM »
That's true, but it's not like he was bouncing around as an assistant. He was the "Associate HC" for a legend and was often thought to be K's heir apparent at Duke. That's not your typical "career assistant/damaged goods" pedigree that would usually be cause for concern.

K didn’t really seem like the type of coach who’d value constructive debates, original ideas, or thoughts that weren’t his own.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2024, 05:05:37 PM »

Which was why this was possibly the dumbest hire of all time.

Option A) Wojo is a great coach, and takes the Duke job when K retires 4/5 years later.
Option B) Wojo is what we got.

Our other finalists were Ben Howland and Cuonzo Martin.  Martin has been pretty awful and is no longer a head coach.  Howland had been fired by UCLA despite winning the Pac12 the year before because of some not so great things going on in the UCLA program, and has been pretty meh at Mississippi State.

Other names that took new jobs that offseason were Bruce Pearl, who MU was absolutely not going to hire coming off of Buzz, Kim Anderson, Donnie Tyndall, Chris Holtmann, and Danny Manning.  Holtmann was just taking the job he had as an assistant.

It wasn't like we really missed on any great coach, other than Shaka.  And Shaka may have seen MU as a stepping stone without the football conference job experience.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2024, 05:08:49 PM »
Our other finalists were Ben Howland and Cuonzo Martin.  Martin has been pretty awful and is no longer a head coach.  Howland had been fired by UCLA despite winning the Pac12 the year before because of some not so great things going on in the UCLA program, and has been pretty meh at Mississippi State.

Other names that took new jobs that offseason were Bruce Pearl, who MU was absolutely not going to hire coming off of Buzz, Kim Anderson, Donnie Tyndall, Chris Holtmann, and Danny Manning.  Holtmann was just taking the job he had as an assistant.

It wasn't like we really missed on any great coach, other than Shaka.  And Shaka may have seen MU as a stepping stone without the football conference job experience.

Never tried calling Billy Donovan.  SMDH
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2024, 05:09:38 PM »
So was I. Guessed you missed the part about people here thinking Wojo’s hiring was a home run.

Who actually called it a home run?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2024, 05:15:30 PM »

Not sure if mentioning our other finalists being terrible as well should absolve the administration of the absolutely terrible hire, and 7 years of wojo.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2024, 05:15:47 PM »
Who actually called it a home run?

MU82 for sure. We could just go back to 2014.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2024, 05:20:26 PM »

I have. Most of the reaction I'm seeing ranges from hating it to hoping for the best. Not really seeing any regular Scoopers calling it a home run (or words to that effect), much less "much of the Scoop intelligentsia." But I'm totally open to the possibility I might be missing some.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2024, 05:24:04 PM »
Wojo had the right resume and was worth the roll of the dice.  Especially with the uncertainty of the university and conference direction. 

I was more upset with the extension(s) when it was clear he wasn’t the guy. 

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2024, 05:34:57 PM »
Not sure if mentioning our other finalists being terrible as well should absolve the administration of the absolutely terrible hire, and 7 years of wojo.

I don’t think the administration’s problem is that they hired him — every program makes bad hires, and his resume was credible — it’s that they held onto him for too long.  An aggressive AD would’ve fired him after he missed the tournament in year 4.  At the very least, I think everyone had seen all they needed to after Year 5 and the Murray State blowout.  But still he remained, and those last two years were infuriating.  No way a guy with those results ever gets that kind of leash in the NIL/instant transfer era.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2024, 05:37:39 PM »
Glad to see the usual suspects come out of the woodworks so they can revisit a Wojo topic (again), rather than enjoy the 2024 season. Some are only happy when they’re miserable.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2024, 05:38:54 PM »
The problem was that Wojo averaged 20 wins a year years 2-6.   I argued at the time that MU would not fire a coach averaging  20 wins a year.   They didn't.   Wojo finished under .500 and it was AMF.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2024, 06:11:31 PM »
So was I. Guessed you missed the part about people here thinking Wojo’s hiring was a home run.

I guess I did.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2024, 06:15:03 PM »
The problem was that Wojo averaged 20 wins a year years 2-6.   I argued at the time that MU would not fire a coach averaging  20 wins a year.   They didn't.   Wojo finished under .500 and it was AMF.

It’s not a problem unless you subscribe to that being a constraint. That thinking resulted in the program sliding and apathy. 

I’m just glad someone thought differently and stepped up to pay the buyout.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2024, 08:49:11 PM »
I don’t think the administration’s problem is that they hired him — every program makes bad hires, and his resume was credible — it’s that they held onto him for too long.  An aggressive AD would’ve fired him after he missed the tournament in year 4.  At the very least, I think everyone had seen all they needed to after Year 5 and the Murray State blowout.  But still he remained, and those last two years were infuriating.  No way a guy with those results ever gets that kind of leash in the NIL/instant transfer era.

He would have been fired after going to overtime against IUPUI after dropping the game vs belmont if I was the admin.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2024, 08:50:13 PM »
Glad to see the usual suspects come out of the woodworks so they can revisit a Wojo topic (again), rather than enjoy the 2024 season. Some are only happy when they’re miserable.

No one here is miserable. There are those of us who called it year 1/2 that do like to gloat though.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2024, 08:54:12 PM »
No one here is miserable. There are those of us who called it year 1/2 that do like to gloat though.
We’re top 5 in the country. Just had our third straight 20+ point win. Are likely on our way to our second consecutive 2 seed and all 6 of your posts today are about Wojo. You can clearly not enjoy the positive present and are obsessed with the negative past. But you be you.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2024, 08:55:58 PM »

Howland was also terminated at Miss State.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2024, 09:05:58 PM »

Congratulations.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2024, 10:05:09 PM »
Or year 0
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2024, 10:47:04 PM »

Well, that's a lie.

I didn't say the following about Stevie Mitchell, either, but somebody did:

I hate Stevie.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2024, 11:10:41 PM »

I was more upset with the extension(s) when it was clear he wasn’t the guy.

This x1000. He was so clearly not the guy after 2019 and that offseason. I understand why programs wait a few too many yrs to fire a coach when even they know they’re not the guy. But a contract extension??

But glad we didnt fire him then or no Shaka.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2024, 11:23:01 PM »
You trying to summons the “Projos”?

Outside of Shaka there were only two coaches since crean. And well, one has a strong case for being one of the worst MU coaches of all time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2024, 12:41:39 AM »
Much of the Scoop intelligentsia thought Buzz was a questionable hire who would be in over his head and that Wojo was a home run. To say they were wrong would be an understatement.

By much, do you mean Chicos? I mean he is like 38 accounts by himself
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2024, 12:48:21 AM »
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 12:50:55 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2024, 04:24:10 AM »
Lotsa folks heer no no ball, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"