Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams  (Read 10443 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Buzz Williams
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2024, 09:04:42 AM »
I think 2 young ladies who had their lives changed in 2010-11 might disagree with your take that "buzz was good for Marquette"

His court success speaks for itself and brought MU back to the top tier but minor recruiting violations, brawl at 720 w/underage drinking, qdoba fight, constant transfers, and the cherry on top that was the Chicago tribune article detailing the SA are not separate from buzz which gave us a crappy rep. In fact I'd argue that the constant headache that was buzz's program is what directly lead to Wojo and the comfort of a clean program over winning. which was pretty inarguably not good for Marquette. Thus buzz pushed too far and the lingering effect of him caused a major drop off after all his success.

Be careful. According to Lenny, you have "an agenda."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2024, 09:27:59 AM »
Life is too short to worry about a half-baked, dime store hillbilly.

We are Marquette! We’re back! Get used to it!
…but we get to keep that E8, right?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2024, 09:40:08 AM »
This dancing was nothing compared to the dancing that was going on in Zilber Hall and the executive offices of The Al when Buzz announced he was leaving.

Except those offices were vacant at the time due to their previous occupiers being fired for management malfeasance. Is it any wonder the #donedeal wasn't #done until three years ago? What a mess all the way around back then. MU was close to the edge.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2024, 10:10:19 AM »
Except those offices were vacant at the time due to their previous occupiers being fired for management malfeasance. Is it any wonder the #donedeal wasn't #done until three years ago? What a mess all the way around back then. MU was close to the edge.

Thank you, President Lovell
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »
Reading this article, too much Buzz hate. Even some irrational accusations.

I started following MU at the end of Crean....knew about the program of course as I was the son a UofDetroit fan and one myself.  It seems there's not one coach since Crean that's not bad-mouthed.  It might be that none are the greatness that MU fans hope for...but c'mon man!

One day Shaka will move on from Marquette...maybe retire in 20yrs or maybe go for Media $$ or maybe a couple of bad seasons and the Admin wants to shake it up.  But whatever the case, lets not trash him, right!?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2024, 10:26:29 AM »
I do wonder if Buzz goes to media sooner rather than later. I remember his story about a doctor telling him he needed to be healthier. It does look like he's kept in good shape since then.

I think he's shown he could be good at the media piece. Just not sure it's in his nature to be in the crowd while others are coaching.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2024, 10:35:41 AM »

I started following MU at the end of Crean....knew about the program of course as I was the son a UofDetroit fan and one myself.  It seems there's not one coach since Crean that's not bad-mouthed.  It might be that none are the greatness that MU fans hope for...but c'mon man!

One day Shaka will move on from Marquette...maybe retire in 20yrs or maybe go for Media $$ or maybe a couple of bad seasons and the Admin wants to shake it up.  But whatever the case, lets not trash him, right!?

I think it is undoubtedly true that Buzz Williams was a great asset on the basketball court. I think it is also true that some of the off-court issues got people nervous, and that he wasn't the most popular guy on campus when he left. 

As was said at the time, I don't think Buzz is built to be long for anywhere. Intense and quirky can be fun for awhile, but it can also be annoying over-time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2024, 11:37:21 AM »

I think it is undoubtedly true that Buzz Williams was a great asset on the basketball court. I think it is also true that some of the off-court issues got people nervous, and that he wasn't the most popular guy on campus when he left. 

As was said at the time, I don't think Buzz is built to be long for anywhere. Intense and quirky can be fun for awhile, but it can also be annoying over-time.

Vagabuzz

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2024, 12:58:47 PM »
I think 2 young ladies who had their lives changed in 2010-11 might disagree with your take that "buzz was good for Marquette"

His court success speaks for itself and brought MU back to the top tier but minor recruiting violations, brawl at 720 w/underage drinking, qdoba fight, constant transfers, and the cherry on top that was the Chicago tribune article detailing the SA are not separate from buzz which gave us a crappy rep. In fact I'd argue that the constant headache that was buzz's program is what directly lead to Wojo and the comfort of a clean program over winning. which was pretty inarguably not good for Marquette. Thus buzz pushed too far and the lingering effect of him caused a major drop off after all his success.

I agree that the Wojo era was a massive over-correction that only happened because our previous coach was Buzz.  The powers that be wanted a stiff who would keep the program out of the papers, and they got one.  Unfortunately, if you’re coaching major college hoops and the best thing you bring to the table is that you run a clean program, you deserve to be shown the door just as much as the guy on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Wojo found that out the hard way.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2024, 01:55:01 PM »
I agree that the Wojo era was a massive over-correction that only happened because our previous coach was Buzz.  The powers that be wanted a stiff who would keep the program out of the papers, and they got one.  Unfortunately, if you’re coaching major college hoops and the best thing you bring to the table is that you run a clean program, you deserve to be shown the door just as much as the guy on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Wojo found that out the hard way.

I think that at the time Wojo was hired he was an objectively good hire with a strong resume. Unfortunately (for MU), the fact that he could not coach had been obscured by his proximity to people much more talented than him.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2024, 03:51:36 PM »
I remember it the same way, that the general thought was that it was a solid hire.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2024, 04:33:34 PM »
I remember it the same way, that the general thought was that it was a solid hire.

He gave good PowerPoint. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2024, 06:36:28 PM »
I do wonder if Buzz goes to media sooner rather than later. I remember his story about a doctor telling him he needed to be healthier. It does look like he's kept in good shape since then.

Used to bump into Buzz at the CS Orange Theory getting them splat points
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2024, 07:02:24 PM »
I think that at the time Wojo was hired he was an objectively good hire with a strong resume. Unfortunately (for MU), the fact that he could not coach had been obscured by his proximity to people much more talented than him.
…which has always baffled me…his coaching. As you say, strong resume. Really strong. I mean, he had can’t miss all over him. He did recruit some talent. No question. And, he was great off the court…I mentioned in the past Wojo reaching out to a friends kid who was hospitalized at Children’s/Wisconsin. BUT…coaching just left me puzzled. Beats #1 Nova…goes 4-3 vs my favorite nemesis, UW. Yet, those late season flame outs. Being absolutely blown out in the ncaa’s. The inability to adjust, in-game or off-season. Head scratcher, for sure.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2024, 02:42:18 PM »
…which has always baffled me…his coaching. As you say, strong resume. Really strong. I mean, he had can’t miss all over him. He did recruit some talent. No question. And, he was great off the court…I mentioned in the past Wojo reaching out to a friends kid who was hospitalized at Children’s/Wisconsin. BUT…coaching just left me puzzled. Beats #1 Nova…goes 4-3 vs my favorite nemesis, UW. Yet, those late season flame outs. Being absolutely blown out in the ncaa’s. The inability to adjust, in-game or off-season. Head scratcher, for sure.

He was an assistant coach for fifteen years.  Should tell you a little bit.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2024, 03:00:58 PM »
He was an assistant coach for fifteen years.  Should tell you a little bit.

That's true, but it's not like he was bouncing around as an assistant. He was the "Associate HC" for a legend and was often thought to be K's heir apparent at Duke. That's not your typical "career assistant/damaged goods" pedigree that would usually be cause for concern.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2024, 03:03:37 PM »
I hope Wojo comes back to the college game and gives it another shot. I would not root against him and think he’d do better this time around. Sucked for MU fans to have a coach learning on the job, but I’m sure he has a better idea now of how he would build his own program versus just trying to make the Duke way work wherever.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2024, 03:09:56 PM »
I hope Wojo comes back to the college game and gives it another shot. I would not root against him and think he’d do better this time around. Sucked for MU fans to have a coach learning on the job, but I’m sure he has a better idea now of how he would build his own program versus just trying to make the Duke way work wherever.

Given his recruiting and average at best coaching I'd say he just bit off more than he could chew at the wrong time. Following Buzz needed to be an unreal coach to hit expectations, that said at a program just looking to make the tournament and have a player or two to hang their hat on he'd be fine. Honestly he probably would be solid at getting GTown back on the map.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2024, 03:27:09 PM »
That's true, but it's not like he was bouncing around as an assistant. He was the "Associate HC" for a legend and was often thought to be K's heir apparent at Duke. That's not your typical "career assistant/damaged goods" pedigree that would usually be cause for concern.

Well, K's coaching tree is bad... and Wojo went there... hard to tell one of your favorite players (undoubtedly), and friend that he isn't a good coach.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2024, 03:38:30 PM »

Much of the Scoop intelligentsia thought Buzz was a questionable hire who would be in over his head and that Wojo was a home run. To say they were wrong would be an understatement.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2024, 03:44:18 PM »
Much of the Scoop intelligentsia thought Buzz was a questionable hire who would be in over his head and that Wojo was a home run. To say they were wrong would be an understatement.

Viper is talking about Wojo.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2024, 04:53:28 PM »

Outside of Shaka there were only two coaches since crean. And well, one has a strong case for being one of the worst MU coaches of all time.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2024, 04:56:27 PM »
He was the "Associate HC" for a legend and was often thought to be K's heir apparent at Duke.

Which was why this was possibly the dumbest hire of all time.

Option A) Wojo is a great coach, and takes the Duke job when K retires 4/5 years later.
Option B) Wojo is what we got.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2024, 04:58:30 PM »
Outside of Shaka there were only two coaches since crean. And well, one has a strong case for being one of the worst MU coaches of all time.

If you define "one of the worst" as the lower portion of middle of the pack, sure.  There weren't many great coaches at Marquette before Al.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2024, 05:01:13 PM »
Viper is talking about Wojo.

So was I. Guessed you missed the part about people here thinking Wojo’s hiring was a home run.