Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is DePoint of DePaul?  (Read 5124 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: What is DePoint of DePaul?
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2024, 08:58:39 AM »
Spoiler alert, starting next year to get a bye in the playoffs you need to be conference champions.

Further spoiler alert. ND could never win the SEC or B10111216 championship.

Correct. So why join a conference? If they are the number one team in the country, seeded fifth, they will get a home game (on a week's rest) in the first round followed by a neutral site game against the worst of the four autobids.

Or they could join a conference, hope to make the conference championship game, then win it.

Notre Dame is in a great spot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2024, 09:02:42 AM »
I don’t think Notre Dame wants any of the Big 10 / SEC smoke. They’re content sliding into the playoffs and getting exposed at the end of the year.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2024, 09:09:04 AM »
Correct. So why join a conference? If they are the number one team in the country, seeded fifth, they will get a home game (on a week's rest) in the first round followed by a neutral site game against the worst of the four autobids.

Or they could join a conference, hope to make the conference championship game, then win it.

Notre Dame is in a great spot.

They still need to park the non-football sports somewhere if the ACC collapses.  Would the Big10 be interested in Notre Dame without football?  Would Notre Dame be interested in sending their non-football sports coast-to-coast for conference games? 

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2024, 09:13:05 AM »
They still need to park the non-football sports somewhere if the ACC collapses.  Would the Big10 be interested in Notre Dame without football?  Would Notre Dame be interested in sending their non-football sports coast-to-coast for conference games? 

I was responding completely about them joining the Big East as a football conference.  Anyway, I don't think the ACC is going to completely implode. They will eventually lose valuable members no doubt, but there will be enough left for them to continue to park their non-football there.

They already have committed to sending their non-football teams coast to coast. So that's not really a change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2024, 09:25:35 AM »
Notre Dame is going to need to affiliate themselves with a conference in some way, shape, or form.  If the "bigger" ACC football brands are picked off by the megaconferences, who is Notre Dame going to play?  How many conference games are the megaconferences going to play?

Stay affiliated with the ACC and they get 6 games over what's left of the ACC?  Georgia Tech, Boston College, Wake Forest, Pitt...?

Michigan is an extreme example as I'm not sure anyone has a tougher schedule.  But Michigan plays at Washington, vs. Oregon, at Ohio State, and vs. USC next year, just in conference.  Are schools really going to be interested in adding a top level non-con game?  I know Michigan has Texas as a non-con game, but I'm assuming that game was scheduled well before USC and Washington were added to their conference slate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2024, 09:28:49 AM »

Bolded is exactly what a number of recent conference transferees will have to do.

I remember that Brey asked the newly "reformed" BE if they would consider letting ND park its bball in the BE until they figured out what direction they wanted to take post BE breakup. How arrogant was that? Their ACC deal was firmed up shortly afterward, but the idea that we would welcome ND as a visitor says a lot about ND's view of itself. If the ACC collapses as predicted, ND may float that idea again. If the BE attaches a huge exit fee, kerching kerching, but trusting ND is as naive as trusting UCONN. And yes, I know....any BE memeber that sees a better opportunity would go for it. But UCONN and ND are always looking for a better deal.

It is going to become more difficult to find major non con matchups for ND, so I see then in a conference full time, not the custom made version that they have in the ACC.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2024, 09:34:06 AM »
Notre Dame is not going to have trouble scheduling games. Their three main rivals will continue (Navy, Purdue, USC), they'll pick up games from the ACC (which will still have 10-12 members with the additions of Cal, Stanford and SMU and will likely pick up others like Tulane), and they will always have a line-up of opponents who want a home and home.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2024, 09:41:07 AM »
Notre Dame is not going to have trouble scheduling games. Their three main rivals will continue (Navy, Purdue, USC), they'll pick up games from the ACC (which will still have 10-12 members with the additions of Cal, Stanford and SMU and will likely pick up others like Tulane), and they will always have a line-up of opponents who want a home and home.

Hypothetically, could the B1G tell USC and Purdue that they can't schedule ND?

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2024, 09:51:01 AM »

It may not be legal, but why would they? The B10 doesn't need Notre Dame, and the CFP isn't treating them special in anyway. They can just let ND be independent.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2024, 09:55:38 AM »
It may not be legal, but why would they? The B10 doesn't need Notre Dame, and the CFP isn't treating them special in anyway. They can just let ND be independent.

Need, no.  But they're quite the catch.

They didn't need USC and UCLA either if we're being honest.

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2024, 09:58:25 AM »
I may be simplifying things here, but the fact that ND gets less for its media contracts than each B10 member leads me to believe that they aren't as valuable as they used to be.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2024, 10:13:51 AM »
I may be simplifying things here, but the fact that ND gets less for its media contracts than each B10 member leads me to believe that they aren't as valuable as they used to be.

Do they care they don’t get as much?  If that was their biggest priority, they’d be in a conference for football.

My hunch is, they’ll be forced into a conference at some point and both the SEC or Fat 100 would take them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:13 AM »
Spoiler alert, starting next year to get a bye in the playoffs you need to be conference champions.

Further spoiler alert. ND could never win the SEC or B10111216 championship.

They do not care. That's the point everyone seems to be missing this past week with the new formatting of the 12 team playoff. ND is more than willing to play their 13th game, most likely at home, in the playoffs. That is a price they are willing to pay to be independent. They'd rather that, than playing a neutral site conference championship game as their 13th data point.

They are also more than willing to take less per year (up to a certain amount) to stay independent. They easily make up the difference. ND is a cash cow

If any athletic members here, their beat guy explains this:  https://theathletic.com/1068782/2019/07/23/the-value-notre-dame-places-on-being-independent/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2024, 10:54:15 AM »
ND football will continue to be a money-printing machine. No matter what happens with conference realignment, it will be fine - more than fine actually.

But if the ACC goes buh-bye as its schools scatter to other leagues, ND will need a place to put all their non-football sports. And unless the Big East also goes buh-bye, it would be the logical place, wouldn't it? It's hard to believe that the B77 and the SEC would take them without a full football commitment the way the desperate ACC did. Maybe if the B12 creates some kind of basketball superconference as has been bandied about in forums like this, ND could go there? Otherwise, it would appear to be the Big East, A10 or nuthin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2024, 12:21:06 PM »

They'd also have to tell that to Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State...all of whom have played ND more in frequently in recent years than Purdue. They've also had Wisconsin and Northwestern on the schedule. ND has always played a lot of Big 10 teams.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2024, 12:35:52 PM »
There is no chance Notre Dame isn’t a member of one of the big conferences.
exactly. If the ACC implodes, any of the remaining conferences would give their left nut to have ND has a full-time member. And I dislike ND immensely.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2024, 12:56:15 PM »
Now that the Big Ten is in bed with NBC, there's no way they're blocking Purdue / USC / Michigan / MSU from Notre Dame's schedule. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2024, 06:04:42 PM »
Notre Dame sucks

Viper

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2024, 08:46:41 PM »
There was a time I was more obsessed in my dislike of Notre Dame than my current dislike of Wisconsin, just sayin’

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2024, 08:48:15 PM »
There was a time I was more obsessed in my dislike of Notre Dame than my current dislike of Wisconsin, just sayin’

Hard to believe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »

You changed brothers-in-law since then?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2024, 11:14:46 PM »
Fck ND Superbar
Goal is National Championship

feedback