Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is DePoint of DePaul?  (Read 5098 times)

MUbiz

• Team Captain
Re: What is DePoint of DePaul?
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2024, 06:30:49 PM »
There is no chance Notre Dame isn’t a member of one of the big conferences.

I agree with this - ND would join the big 10 as it fits with the academic profile, money and location. (i.e. not another team on West coast)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2024, 07:01:01 PM »
SLEEPING GIANT
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2024, 07:05:18 PM »
I agree with this - ND would join the big 10 as it fits with the academic profile, money and location. (i.e. not another team on West coast)

Unless we got BC and Duke! Convince GTown Butler Nova and the new Xavier team to up to FBS, invite Dayton and tell them to do the same. No downside except finding ourselves in a catholic version of the old big east!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2024, 08:03:43 PM »
This seems like a good moment to express our appreciation that Shaka is the coach at Marquette and our deep gratitude to the individual(s) who paid Wojo's buyout. It was not long ago that we sweated the DePaul game. During Wojo's tenure MU was only 9-5 against DePaul. That included two home losses.

'twas a harrowing experience!

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2024, 08:34:45 PM »
Highly doubt they're the favorite people seem to forget that Kansas had already beat them that year and their SOS was 79 in a ok but not highlight year of the A10. I'd call them a great upset pick

Define that please because 8 NCAA appearances in a quarter of a millennium doesn't seem very sustained and certainly 9 in 34yrs isnt.

I'm not super against them but come on Creighton had 8 from 2000-13 and an additional regular season title when the league was a 1 bid. that's sustained success at a lower level.

Dayton could have played themselves into the conversation after the first big east expansion by winning the mediocre A-10 a majority of the time. They did not do that. In fact they’ve won the A-10 tournament *checks notes* once.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2024, 09:07:37 PM »
I went to Marquette undergraduate and DePaul for graduate school. I have absolutely no affinity towards DePaul while my love of MU is massive. I of course had massively different experiences; I was a full-time undergraduate at MU, but a part time graduate student going to class at the Loop campus at night while working full time. My sense is that my DePaul experience was common - people go there to get degrees, but do not have a strong affinity towards the school after they graduate. I think that’s part of the basketball problem - no one really cares.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2024, 09:10:26 PM »

If the ND wanted to be in the Big Ten, they would already be in the Big Ten. They’ve wanted to stay independent for 40+ years. Don’t see why that would change now.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2024, 09:16:02 PM »
If the ND wanted to be in the Big Ten, they would already be in the Big Ten. They’ve wanted to stay independent for 40+ years. Don’t see why that would change now.

Seriously? Practically everything in major college sports conferences is changing and you can’t think of a reason ND might want to make a change with it? ND’s current conference is likely going to blow up within a year or two and you can’t imagine that ND might look for a landing spot? In the current climate, I think ND would jump at the opportunity to join the Big 10.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:03 PM »
Seriously? Practically everything in major college sports conferences is changing and you can’t think of a reason ND might want to make a change with it? ND’s current conference is likely going to blow up within a year or two and you can’t imagine that ND might look for a landing spot? In the current climate, I think ND would jump at the opportunity to join the Big 10.

The question isn't whether I can "think of a reason ND might want to make a change;" its Wades' proposition that there is "no chance" they won't join the Big 10 or SEC.

ND has always had the most natural alignment with the Big 10 in terms of football, location, and academics. Nothing has changed on that front. But why would they give up their most privileged status in college football, where they can negotiate their own TV contract, keep all that revenue, pick their own schedule, and have an in-road to the playoff, just to be the third best football program in the Big 10?

Long term, the more interesting question is whether schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc. start to realize what FSU has realized -- they're bringing in more the conference pie than they're walking away with and maybe they'd be better off in Notre Dame's shoes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2024, 09:39:44 PM »
The question isn't whether I can "think of a reason ND might want to make a change;" its Wades' proposition that there is "no chance" they won't join the Big 10 or SEC.

ND has always had the most natural alignment with the Big 10 in terms of football, location, and academics. Nothing has changed on that front. But why would they give up their most privileged status in college football, where they can negotiate their own TV contract, keep all that revenue, pick their own schedule, and have an in-road to the playoff, just to be the third best football program in the Big 10?

Long term, the more interesting question is whether schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc. start to realize what FSU has realized -- they're bringing in more the conference pie than they're walking away with and maybe they'd be better off in Notre Dame's shoes.

They never had an incentive to join a conference for football. Now they are penalized for not being in one. They could go undefeated with the toughest schedule in the country and they’d be playing an opening round game while 4 teams get byes, and then going on the road to one of those bye teams for a quarterfinal game.

They’ll be in the B1G very soon.

And those schools you list are doing just fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2024, 09:52:46 PM »
At bottom, they’re ND. They’re too arrogant to affiliate themselves with a bunch of state schools. I’m the same terms as everybody else.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2024, 09:54:15 PM »

ND eventually will be forced to join a conference. As soon as NBC stops paying for the football contract, ND will move to a power football conference. I am fairly certain Big 10 teams make more on their TV contract than ND does with NBC currently, but NDs football contract is due soon, so only time will tell.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2024, 10:02:24 PM »
ND eventually will be forced to join a conference. As soon as NBC stops paying for the football contract, ND will move to a power football conference. I am fairly certain Big 10 teams make more on their TV contract than ND does with NBC currently, but NDs football contract is due soon, so only time will tell.

Believe they just extended their deal with NBC in the Fall through 2029 at more than 2x what they were making per year with the previous contract. They'll be independent until the eventual breakaway from the NCAA. ND is more than willing to make slightly less per year to continue their independence and have a seat at the playoff.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2024, 10:14:43 PM »

The same reason ND does everything - money. For years ND benefitted financially from being completely independent. Now they would benefit financially - a lot - by joining the Big 10. It will happen. Hell, they gave up one of the benefits you list - control of their own schedule - to play a partial ACC football schedule. The landscape has changed. ND has little choice but to change with it. It just so happens that they’ll make a ton of money when they do. And at the end of the day, that’s always been what drives ND.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2024, 12:26:49 AM »
Believe they just extended their deal with NBC in the Fall through 2029 at more than 2x what they were making per year with the previous contract. They'll be independent until the eventual breakaway from the NCAA. ND is more than willing to make slightly less per year to continue their independence and have a seat at the playoff.

I couldn't find what the new contract is, but last year they made $22M and the Big is making $90M very soon. How long can ND afford to lose that much? I understand ND is filthy rich and wants independence, but having a difference of $70M a year in revenue is not smart business.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/notre-dame-tv-contract-nbc-college-football-tv-deals/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 12:36:17 AM by MUbiz »

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2024, 01:20:43 AM »
I couldn't find what the new contract is, but last year they made $22M and the Big is making $90M very soon. How long can ND afford to lose that much? I understand ND is filthy rich and wants independence, but having a difference of $70M a year in revenue is not smart business.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/notre-dame-tv-contract-nbc-college-football-tv-deals/

The new deal is worth around $50M per year from NBC. They also get ~$15M from the ACC agreement. $22M is expiring and they will be making much more.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2024, 01:21:56 AM »
I went to Marquette undergraduate and DePaul for graduate school. I have absolutely no affinity towards DePaul while my love of MU is massive. I of course had massively different experiences; I was a full-time undergraduate at MU, but a part time graduate student going to class at the Loop campus at night while working full time. My sense is that my DePaul experience was common - people go there to get degrees, but do not have a strong affinity towards the school after they graduate. I think that’s part of the basketball problem - no one really cares.

I have a housemate who did the exact same thing (or maybe you are that housemate - graduate 04?) And he also travels across the country for NMD day and I don't think has ever been to a DP game (expect when they played MU).

But I think it's also somewhat a function of UG vs Grad. I went to IU for gradschool. Granted I only lived in Bloomington for 1 year before moving to Indy and abroad, but I only.went to a handful of games - and that was mainly just because of Assembly hall and to tell people Crean sucked. I think caring about sport at their UG alma matter and grad school not so much is a pretty common thing.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2024, 01:43:02 AM »
Speaking of which, $1 tix to the GT game.

https://twitter.com/BobbyBancroft/status/1760711364199256454

Maybe I'll buy one and then resell it a -$1 just to prove the point that you couldn't pay people to go to that game. Or too much punching down?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2024, 04:30:24 AM »
We can debate how long ND will remain independent, but I can’t see any way they ever rejoin the Big East. Even if the ACC breaks apart completely and the Big East forms some hybrid conference, Notre Dame isn’t joining that mess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2024, 06:10:17 AM »
At bottom, they’re ND. They’re too arrogant to affiliate themselves with a bunch of state schools. I’m the same terms as everybody else.

I'm quite sure they see the writing on the wall.  Arrogant, sure, stupid?  Nope.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2024, 07:06:52 AM »
We can debate how long ND will remain independent, but I can’t see any way they ever rejoin the Big East. Even if the ACC breaks apart completely and the Big East forms some hybrid conference, Notre Dame isn’t joining that mess.

If they don’t want to put their football in the Big Ten or SEC, it’s really their only option once the ACC dissolves.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2024, 07:40:48 AM »
If they don’t want to put their football in the Big Ten or SEC, it’s really their only option once the ACC dissolves.

They will stay independent as long as they can. Which means they will stay independent until the College Football Playoff requires conference membership to participate. Then they will file a lawsuit of some sort.

If that doesn't work, they will join the Big Ten. You really think they are going to associate their football program with Duke, Wake Forest and a bunch of glorified FCS programs?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2024, 07:49:35 AM »
They will stay independent as long as they can. Which means they will stay independent until the College Football Playoff requires conference membership to participate. Then they will file a lawsuit of some sort.

If that doesn't work, they will join the Big Ten. You really think they are going to associate their football program with Duke, Wake Forest and a bunch of glorified FCS programs?

Or until their fans gripe enough about not being on a fair playing field... 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2024, 07:50:48 AM »

Spoiler alert, starting next year to get a bye in the playoffs you need to be conference champions.

Further spoiler alert. ND could never win the SEC or B10111216 championship.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2024, 08:09:55 AM »
Spoiler alert, starting next year to get a bye in the playoffs you need to be conference champions.

Further spoiler alert. ND could never win the SEC or B10111216 championship.

100% agree with the Big 100 and SEC comment.  ND has not won a football natty in nearly 40 years.  IMHO, they are basically irrelevant in football, but do not tell a golden domer that.

feedback