'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Kolek coming back?  (Read 19552 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Is Kolek coming back?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2024, 10:28:09 AM »
If he’s having a blast every day and can bring in some coin, could see Tyler back

Having a blast without Oso would be more difficult.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2024, 10:37:15 AM »
Kolek is a great college point guard.    IMO, comparisons to Winston and Brunson are warranted.    Two PG's who absolutely controlled the game.    Due to scheme, neither went to the basket as fiercely as Kolek.    Both were more than willing to pull up and take the 12 footer.   Winston has not made his mark at the next level, Brunson has.
     At the next level, being 6'3 is comparatively small.    Kolek does not have a particularly quick release on his 3 pt shot.   His on-ball defense is adequate, but will definitely need work.   His attributes will move up.    His ability to see the floor, run the pick and roll, and lead all translate.    He is a good shooter and a crafty finisher.   NBA players are quicker, but in the regular season there isn't the all out commitment to defend the rim.   I think Kolek can play at the next level.    I don't know if he can start at the next level.    However, with his work ethic and attitude, nothing would surprise me.

Excellent post. Wouldn’t surprise me either way, I hope he lands a roster spot and gets some minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2024, 10:39:01 AM »
That's cause jokes are usually funny.

Meh.   Anybody who tells jokes knows sometimes they don't land.   Going back and reading what he wrote in the context of him trying to joke, I can see where he was going.    Hell, people took 'load management' as some sign that I want MU to phone it in against UConn.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2024, 10:50:19 AM »
Marginal ball handler and shooter? lol.

Juan had made almost $5MM in the NBA, playing in 202 NBA games.

2 M's: you clearly work in finance/accounting

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2024, 10:58:19 AM »
Meh.  Anybody who tells jokes knows sometimes they don't land.   Going back and reading what he wrote in the context of him trying to joke, I can see where he was going.    Hell, people took 'load management' as some sign that I want MU to phone it in against UConn.   

I have experienced the bolded on many occasions. Few appreciate my brilliant wit.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2024, 11:47:17 AM »
I think he is……as long as the Badgers aren’t on at the same time.
embrace the hate!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2024, 11:52:00 AM »
Few appreciate my brilliant wit.

Everyone appreciates your brilliant wit. It's just that you only rarely sprinkle it in with your usual wit.  ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2024, 11:53:46 AM »
Everyone appreciates your brilliant wit. It's just that you only rarely sprinkle it in with your usual wit.  ;)

Kudos. Ya got me!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2024, 11:58:42 AM »
Probably has been posted already but read yesterday that Tyler had the 9th highest NIL in college basketball at 771,000 is that true

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2024, 12:00:53 PM »
Probably has been posted already but read yesterday that Tyler had the 9th highest NIL in college basketball at 771,000 is that true

Not sure anyone would know the actual number aside from Tyler.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2024, 12:06:03 PM »
Not sure anyone would know the actual number aside from Tyler.

Agree. Here is the article from BIVMM Sports

BIVMM
SPORTS
Top 10 richest men's college basketball stars based on NIL
9. Tyler Kolek
The senior guard for the Marquette Golden Eagles has an NIL valuation of $771,000.
Kolek's NIL worth has doubled since the start of the 2023 season. That's not a surprise considering that he's ranked as the No. 1 guard for the season, according to The Athletic. His marketability continues to skyrocket as Marquette maintains its spot within the top five of the AP men's college basketball poll.
He has booked some lucrative deals even though he has the smallest social media following among the top 10 NIL earners (15,000 followers on Instagram and 2,500 on
X). His partnerships include TKO Miller Investment Banking, Who's on Third (Milwaukee sports pub) and Daps

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2024, 12:09:12 PM »
That's an implied value based on factors they come up with. That doesn't mean he earns that amount - it could be more, it could be less. No one really knows except for Tyler.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2024, 12:16:39 PM »
Kolek is a great college point guard.    IMO, comparisons to Winston and Brunson are warranted.    Two PG's who absolutely controlled the game.    Due to scheme, neither went to the basket as fiercely as Kolek.    Both were more than willing to pull up and take the 12 footer.   Winston has not made his mark at the next level, Brunson has.
     At the next level, being 6'3 is comparatively small.    Kolek does not have a particularly quick release on his 3 pt shot.   His on-ball defense is adequate, but will definitely need work.   His attributes will move up.    His ability to see the floor, run the pick and roll, and lead all translate.    He is a good shooter and a crafty finisher.   NBA players are quicker, but in the regular season there isn't the all out commitment to defend the rim.   I think Kolek can play at the next level.    I don't know if he can start at the next level.    However, with his work ethic and attitude, nothing would surprise me.

Let's look at Ryan Arcidiacono as a comp for Tyler.  Ryan is listed at 6'-3" and 195 lbs, so he and Kolek are the same size. 

Tyler and Ryan have the same college career 3 pt shooting percentage, but that is pretty much where the similarities end.  The difference in assist numbers is pretty stark with Ryan at 4.7 per 40 min where Tyler is at 7.7.  Tyler is quicker and stronger than Ryan, and is a much better facilitating point guard. Tyler also has better numbers per 40 in rebounds and steals. The Kenpom stats tell the same story.

If Arci can carve out a 7 year career in the league averaging 15 minutes a game, there is no reason why Tyler couldn't do the same. I feel that level of production would be the floor of Tyler's career at the next level.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2024, 12:48:25 PM »
I'll be shocked if TKO doesn't play in the NBA at some point as a back-up PG. 

As for him being a "marginal" ball-handler and shooter, thanks for the laugh.
Once again I think Deiner, specifically his NBA career, are pretty good comps for TKo...though I would take the over on him if I were betting.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2024, 01:49:29 PM »
Did you see NBA talent in O-Max at this point in his college career? In Max Strus? In Juan Anderson? In Sam Hauser? In Fred VanVleet? In Duncan Robinson? In any number of others who were drafted in the second round, or not at all, but who nonetheless had (or are having) productive NBA careers?

Kolek already possesses NBA-quality vision and passing ability. He isn't short or skinny, he's a good team defender and an underrated individual defender, he isn't afraid to mix it up inside for shots and rebounds, and he has improved significantly as a shooter (and probably can continue to do so).

I'll be surprised if there aren't several NBA teams who believe he has NBA talent.

I went to the Denver Nuggets game last night and saw Colin Gillespie getting multiple minutes in an NBA game and I'd take TK11 over him anytime  8-)
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2024, 02:21:57 PM »
Were they introduced to darkness?
Sounds like an Aaron Rodgers sabbatical
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2024, 03:04:10 PM »
Collin Gillespie is playing in the NBA this year.  I'd take Kolek today over Gillespie today, let alone during their times in college.  Ryan Arcidiacono is in his 7th NBA season.  TJ McConnell is a rotational player for a Playoff team.

Enjoy Kolek for these next 2 months.

Yep yep yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2024, 03:32:00 PM »
That's an implied value based on factors they come up with. That doesn't mean he earns that amount - it could be more, it could be less. No one really knows except for Tyler.

I bet there is some sports agent that makes up these valuations. And, they probably lead to more players going into the transfer portal, saying "look what you should be paying me!" But, are they what players actually get? As Sultan says, only they know.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2024, 04:34:23 PM »
Has there ever been a 3 time BEPOY?

That would be cool.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2024, 04:44:00 PM »
Has there ever been a 3 time BEPOY?

That would be cool.

Yes….. Chris Mullen

Quite a few have won it twice

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2024, 04:50:06 PM »
I actually should have known that.

Not bad company to be in!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2024, 05:54:40 PM »
Help me understand this. I would love to see people with cash give Tyler NIL money because they want him to be compensated for playing for Marquette. But this is his senior year. Do you really think he sat there and said give me a bunch of cash or I'm going into the portal and I'm leaving?

He was not highly recruited coming out of high school. His coach left and he made a move to jump up into the Big East when Marquette was not in a situation to compete for the BE title. Still he understood that he could start at point guard if he worked hard. And wouldn't that be a dream come true? 
And look what happened and what evolved after Shaka took over. And now Tyler is the guy who stirs the drink. And will push the team into the Elite 8.

If it was his junior year maybe he would be tempted but this situation is different IMO. He couldn't be in a better situation. And he knows that. There's no better place for his family to see him play and they enjoy it every time they see him play. And maybe some money will trickle down. It doesn't really matter. You work hard and you get what you deserve.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2024, 06:29:21 PM »
Do you really think he sat there and said give me a bunch of cash or I'm going into the portal and I'm leaving?

No. If he leaves, it would be for a pro career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2024, 10:05:53 PM »
The concern could be age.
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2024, 06:23:08 AM »