'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Kolek coming back?  (Read 19541 times)

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Is Kolek coming back?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 11:02:42 PM »
750k a year is a lot of money to play 30 games when there are medical concerns. Don't be surprised either way.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2024, 11:30:31 PM »
Marginal ball handler and shooter? lol.

No kidding.  I'm wondering if Viper's watching the same games as the rest of us.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2024, 06:29:56 AM »
No kidding.  I'm wondering if Viper's watching the same games as the rest of us.

No, he’s hate watching the Badgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2024, 06:35:01 AM »
While checking out various mock drafts, I found two recent ones that don't have Kolek getting drafted but do have Kam getting drafted.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10108174-2024-nba-mock-draft-full-2-round-predictions-post-trade-deadline

So ya never know!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2024, 06:35:14 AM »
I thought Tyler said “Not me.” When Raf asked if he was making a major announcement.  Raf fumbled that exchange as he had no idea this is 13’s last year regardless. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2024, 07:56:08 AM »
I did not see nba talent in any of those guys, no. (btw, Juan spent how many seasons in minor league ball?…and is maybe on a 10-day w/Sacramento…probably wouldn’t have named him in your rebuttal)
Your reaching deep list to prove me wrong doesn’t change my opinion of TK. Marginal ball handler. Marginal shooter. Slow release on the shot. Can he go right? I’m fine being wrong if he makes it, absolutely. Another MU guy in the nba would be great.  (Btw and though Omax was a surprise 1st rd pick, it’s been pretty much GL so far. And I know, the checks clear)

This is insane.

"Marginal ball handler..."  He has an assist rate over 40%

"Marginal shooter..."  He's shooting 41% from 3 and has an EFG of .567. And I don't think he has a slow release at all.

His limitation in the NBA will be his size and if he can defend. But his ball handling and shooting are two of his best attributes IMO. 

Do people seriously not understand how good this guy is???  He was the BEPOY last year, and he's playing even better this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2024, 08:02:06 AM »
This is insane.

"Marginal shooter..."  He's shooting 41% from 3 and has an EFG of .567. And I don't think he has a slow release at all.

His limitation in the NBA will be his size and if he can defend. But his ball handling and shooting are two of his best attributes IMO. 

Do people seriously not understand how good this guy is???  He was the BEPOY last year, and he's playing even better this year.

This is the biggest question - who can he defend in the NBA? Aside from that, he's definitely got the skills he needs. In fact, he's strong enough in those other areas that he'll probably get a shot in spite of concerns over who he can defend.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2024, 08:23:03 AM »
This is the biggest question - who can he defend in the NBA? Aside from that, he's definitely got the skills he needs. In fact, he's strong enough in those other areas that he'll probably get a shot in spite of concerns over who he can defend.

He’ll never be asked to be an elite defender in the NBA.  Any team expecting him to be Jrue Holiday will be disappointed.  He’ll be a bench guy that can give you minutes in a lot of different spots.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2024, 08:32:35 AM »
This is insane.

Good post.  Though I feel his defense is underrated.  He's 13th out of 2,265 D1 basketball players that qualify in KenPom's Fouls committed/40 stat, at just 1.3/game.  Tyler is deceptively quick and strong.  Tyler is up to Number 10 overall in Ken Pom's Player of the Year rankings.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2024, 08:33:12 AM »
This is insane.

ok Scoop amigos…high school to D-1…huge difference. Do we agree? How many sure fire HS recruits don’t do squat in D-1? College to pro…huge difference. Agreed?
I like TK as a college player, I just don’t see NBA in his game. Weak going to the right. Slow release on the outside shot, imo. Can he create his own shot? Can he defend NBA guards? TK, check Trae Young tnite. 🤔
As I have posted prior…hoping he makes it to the nba, absolutely. I’m a TK fan!!!
(btw, Sultan…what do you ever post that’s anything other than reactionary?) Ball in.check
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 08:35:27 AM by Viper »

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2024, 08:48:07 AM »
Good post.  Though I feel his defense is underrated.  He's 13th out of 2,265 D1 basketball players that qualify in KenPom's Fouls committed/40 stat, at just 1.3/game.  Tyler is deceptively quick and strong.  Tyler is up to Number 10 overall in Ken Pom's Player of the Year rankings.

I think his college defense is fine. No doubt. He's just not overly tall or overly big which may cause some issues at the next level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2024, 08:49:19 AM »
ok Scoop amigos…high school to D-1…huge difference. Do we agree? How many sure fire HS recruits don’t do squat in D-1? College to pro…huge difference. Agreed?
I like TK as a college player, I just don’t see NBA in his game. Weak going to the right. Slow release on the outside shot, imo. Can he create his own shot? Can he defend NBA guards? TK, check Trae Young tnite. 🤔
As I have posted prior…hoping he makes it to the nba, absolutely. I’m a TK fan!!!
(btw, Sultan…what do you ever post that’s anything other than reactionary?) Ball in.check

He is absolutely fine going to his right and he doesn't have a slow release.

If you don't want me to react, don't post dumb stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2024, 09:00:39 AM »
He’ll never be asked to be an elite defender in the NBA.  Any team expecting him to be Jrue Holiday will be disappointed.  He’ll be a bench guy that can give you minutes in a lot of different spots.

This.

I haven't seen anybody predict that Kolek is going to be a 10-year NBA starter. He has skills that an NBA team will value IMHO. And as Ners said, he's not a total defensive bust. He's got quick hands and he plays smart positionally.

Offensively, Kolek has improved at going to his right, but I'd agree with Viper that he needs to get better still at both driving right and shooting RH layups as he'll be trying to dribble and drive against elite defenders. His shot has improved markedly but can still get better; as a shooter, he has a pretty high ceiling IMHO, because we know he will work and work and work to improve.

There are numerous players in the NBA who didn't seem to have much of a chance but had careers, with some having long careers. Several of our fellow Marquette alums serve as pretty nice examples.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2024, 09:04:51 AM »
Kolek is a great college point guard.    IMO, comparisons to Winston and Brunson are warranted.    Two PG's who absolutely controlled the game.    Due to scheme, neither went to the basket as fiercely as Kolek.    Both were more than willing to pull up and take the 12 footer.   Winston has not made his mark at the next level, Brunson has.
     At the next level, being 6'3 is comparatively small.    Kolek does not have a particularly quick release on his 3 pt shot.   His on-ball defense is adequate, but will definitely need work.   His attributes will move up.    His ability to see the floor, run the pick and roll, and lead all translate.    He is a good shooter and a crafty finisher.   NBA players are quicker, but in the regular season there isn't the all out commitment to defend the rim.   I think Kolek can play at the next level.    I don't know if he can start at the next level.    However, with his work ethic and attitude, nothing would surprise me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2024, 09:08:44 AM »
Good point from tower and others about Kolek's master-class level of execution on the pick-and-roll. Lots and lots and lots of NBA coaches love the pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop. Kolek is the best player in college basketball at running it, and he will be run it well at the next level, too, especially if he shows he can hit NBA 3s at 36% or better.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2024, 09:17:01 AM »
Good point from tower and others about Kolek's master-class level of execution on the pick-and-roll. Lots and lots and lots of NBA coaches love the pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop. Kolek is the best player in college basketball at running it, and he will be run it well at the next level, too, especially if he shows he can hit NBA 3s at 36% or better.

Agree.  Would be amazing if the NBA team who drafts Oso works out a deal to position themselves (may not even have to trade up), to draft Tyler.  Of course that would need to be a team who is also looking for a PG, but Pitno called them Stockton and Malone.  Their chemistry and basketball IQ would seem to translate well together at the next level.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2024, 09:33:44 AM »
I'll be shocked if TKO doesn't play in the NBA at some point as a back-up PG. 

As for him being a "marginal" ball-handler and shooter, thanks for the laugh. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2024, 09:44:17 AM »
Collin Gillespie is playing in the NBA this year.  I'd take Kolek today over Gillespie today, let alone during their times in college.  Ryan Arcidiacono is in his 7th NBA season.  TJ McConnell is a rotational player for a Playoff team.

Enjoy Kolek for these next 2 months. 
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2024, 09:56:32 AM »
He is absolutely fine going to his right and he doesn't have a slow release.

If you don't want me to react, don't post dumb stuff.
awesome!!! classic!! Archive worthy!! Post dumb stuff folks…and look out below!!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2024, 09:58:38 AM »
I'll be shocked if TKO doesn't play in the NBA at some point as a back-up PG. 

As for him being a "marginal" ball-handler and shooter, thanks for the laugh.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2024, 10:04:11 AM »
If you are seriously comparing Kolek's ball handling and PG skills to Vander Blue, then I don't know what to tell you.    Other than both being 6'3-4 ish guards who went to MU, there games are completely different.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Viper

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2024, 10:07:13 AM »
If you are seriously comparing Kolek's ball handling and PG skills to Vander Blue, then I don't know what to tell you.    Other than both being 6'3-4 ish guards who went to MU, there games are completely different.
(no comparison) you missed the weak attempt at a joke. Just Viper posting stupid stuff. Vander Blue Man thanked Viper for the laugh. So, a laughing Vander.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2024, 10:12:21 AM »
Fair enough.    I did not read it as a joke.    Mea culpa.   

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2024, 10:24:29 AM »
I think he is……as long as the Badgers aren’t on at the same time.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2024, 10:27:57 AM »
Fair enough.    I did not read it as a joke.    Mea culpa.   

That's cause jokes are usually funny.