Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Things to do pre and post game near the Capital One Center  (Read 1754 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Things to do pre and post game near the Capital One Center
« on: February 01, 2024, 01:05:53 PM »
Last year we had European style hot chocolate after the game just a couple blocks West of Capital One. This is serious hot chocolate- not the wimpy stuff that is so common. Washingtonians voiced many opinions about the restaurant from "love it" to "hate it" but 1) the hot chocolate was delicious and 2) I know from working in the DC area that the locals can easily out complain New Yorkers any day.

Le Pain Quotidien

975 F St. NW (at 10th St.)

Closes at 6:00 PM.

We will be there, and I will wear my Marquette scarf in case you go and would like to chat. If not, just ignore me. I'm used to that.

The National Building Museum showcases the "architecture, design, engineering, construction and Urban Planning" in DC. We are going on Friday afternoon.

https://www.nbm.org

The National Portrait Gallery

If you are thinking boooring, think again. There is quite a bit of history included about the subjects of the portraits that clearly indicates their importance in American history. For a history buff like me to admit "I didn't know that!" numerous times during our visit last year, be assured that there is more there than you might expect.

https://npg.si.edu

Both museums are extremely close to Capital One.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 07:20:10 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Things to do pre and post game near the Capital One Center
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 01:20:29 PM »
Unconventional Diner is a great brunch spot that way.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 01:40:41 PM »
Have heard lots enjoy injecting needles & pooping on the sidewalk
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 01:42:00 PM »
Unconventional Diner is a great brunch spot that way.

Thanks for the tip.

I should have added to my post that the museums are pregame suggestions due to their hours.

Fords Theater is near Le Pain. Again....check their hours.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 01:44:13 PM »
 ::)

My daughter's has lived out there for 5 years.   She has never had a problem.  I have really enjoyed DC and Baltimore on our visits.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 01:49:52 PM »
::)

My daughter's has lived out there for 5 years.   She has never had a problem.  I have really enjoyed DC and Baltimore on our visits.

Hope you visited her (or will visit her) during Cherry Blossom time. Our jaws kept dropping when we went then. WOW!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 01:52:49 PM »
We have.   It was gorgeous.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 01:57:31 PM »

I'll have you know I was just in DC and was only propositioned once to have sex and do crack with him in an alley.

He was not joking. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 01:58:28 PM »
Hope you visited her (or will visit her) during Cherry Blossom time. Our jaws kept dropping when we went then. WOW!

Some of the cherry blossoms were already out on some of the trees near the Washington Monument in mid January.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 02:00:11 PM »
I'll have you know I was just in DC and was only propositioned once to have sex and do crack with him in an alley.

He was not joking.

You visited Congress?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 02:05:35 PM »
You visited Congress?

I said once, not multiple times.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 02:09:30 PM »

There goes that damn Kolek guy again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 03:02:57 PM »
There goes that damn Kolek guy again.

Ewing agreed to help me out. He'll be stationed at the Capital (I suggested that he join us at the game, but he declined) and I will come with duct tape in case Kolek needs to be taped to a lamppost. I think Ewing will be able to hold Kolek down without my help until I get there. We'll contact Shaka with the specific location so he can come and get him.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 03:36:10 PM »
Ewing agreed to help me out. He'll be stationed at the Capital (I suggested that he join us at the game, but he declined) and I will come with duct tape in case Kolek needs to be taped to a lamppost. I think Ewing will be able to hold Kolek down without my help until I get there. We'll contact Shaka with the specific location so he can come and get him.

*Capitol
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 03:41:16 PM »
*Capitol

Damn! I almost always check my posts because I'm a stickler on spelling (but not here). I hope it makes you happy that you busted me.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 06:08:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

I should have added to my post that the museums are pregame suggestions due to their hours.

Fords Theater is near Le Pain. Again....check their hours.

If you're willing to expand your area a bit for dinner, Rasika west end is fantastic if you enjoy Indian food. I also enjoyed Blue Duck

Jaleo is...fine.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 06:40:23 PM »

He was not joking.

Name wuzant Hunter, or wuz it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 07:14:27 PM »
For those staying a couple of days or so I very highly recommend the Air and Space Museum near Dulles. In addition to innumerable smaller aircraft, you will be able to stand near one of the space shuttles (this alone is worth the trip. WOW!) as well as walk under a Concord, see the Blackbird spy plane and the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb, the Enola Gay.

Tower visited after I wrote about it some time ago and I think came away very impressed.

https://airandspace.si.edu › visit › udvar-hazy-center

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 07:15:29 PM »
Totally worth the trip.  Clear a few hours.

mutodd5

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:41:15 AM »
For those staying a couple of days or so I very highly recommend the Air and Space Museum near Dulles. In addition to innumerable smaller aircraft, you will be able to stand near one of the space shuttles (this alone is worth the trip. WOW!) as well as walk under a Concord, see the Blackbird spy plane and the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb, the Enola Gay.

Tower visited after I wrote about it some time ago and I think came away very impressed.

We have done this as well on previous trips and it is well worth it! :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 10:40:25 AM »

Just make sure you go to the one described above.  The Air and Space museum close to the capitol building is half closed for renovation.

lawdog77

• All American

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 02:06:49 PM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 08:37:03 PM »

For  the right amount of money the facility can also be rented out for an evening for a reunion etc.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 08:48:35 PM »
Bunch of Scoop nerds in this thread. Where are the post-game bars?  Penn Quarter?

Still upset about the Newseum closing.

feedback