Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WIN when they TRUST  (Read 3595 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: WIN when they TRUST
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2024, 09:17:11 AM »
I’m glad Zaide didn’t back down when Oso scolded him on the lob. It was there and Oso just didn’t see it / expect it. We don’t need another deer-in-headlights frosh; that’s Norman’s role apparently.

Didn't really see the Zaide/Oso interaction, but I thought Zaide 100% should have taken that drive all the way to the rack as it was there.  Was really surprised he threw that lob, as it appeared to me he may have had a chance to finish with a dunk if he went all the way to the bucket.  If Oso "scolded" Zaide I suspect it was from the perspective of you need to finish that on your own as the finish was there for the taking.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2024, 09:35:57 AM »
Agree on Chase's defense.

Any legit word on when he might be back?

He got hurt on Jan. 6 (not uncommon).  We were told it was 4 weeks.  I would hold him out until NMD (Feb 10). This gets him back for our 4 toughest remaining games

St. John's
@UConn
@Creighton
UConn

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2024, 09:36:40 AM »
Lenny, there are conflicting schools of thought as to whether you start offense and bring in defense or vice versa.   I can argue either one.   The thing with Ross that to me makes him a better bench player than starter ON THIS YEAR'S ROSTER (no speculation going forward) is that he is a dude who can play with anyone.   That kind of versatility in a smaller wing screams bringing him off the bench to change the dynamic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2024, 09:45:19 AM »
He got hurt on Jan. 6 (not uncommon).  We were told it was 4 weeks.  I would hold him out until NMD (Feb 10). This gets him back for our 4 toughest remaining games

St. John's
@UConn
@Creighton
UConn

Last night was the first game that he wasn’t wearing the sling. I’ll assume that’s progress
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2024, 09:49:18 AM »
I thin that alley oop dunk by Oso against the zone was a called play.  Very subtle and if it isn't there get ino the set.  Ben taking off was a decoy.  Both defenders in the neighborhood watched him go.  Oso timed his slip perfectly with their eyes off the ball for a nanosecond.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2024, 10:07:16 AM »
Not the best game MU has played this year by a long shot. But, great to see 3's falling. Defense was suspect. But, I want to give Ben Gold credit; he played a really good game on both ends of the floor. And, I have one request of David Joplin - please don't dribble. Either shoot or pass, but do not dribble.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2024, 10:12:59 AM »
Anyone know how many deflections they got last night?

I didn't see too many.  And I know DePaul had fewer turnovers than we did.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2024, 10:29:18 AM »
Anyone know how many deflections they got last night?

I didn't see too many.  And I know DePaul had fewer turnovers than we did.

Not sure of the total number. Stevie may have had 8 or so in the first 10 minutes himself, but it seemed the team went to sleep a bit once they went up 16 or 18 with about5 mins left in the first half.

nwestpha

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2024, 10:33:47 AM »
Not the best game MU has played this year by a long shot. But, great to see 3's falling. Defense was suspect. But, I want to give Ben Gold credit; he played a really good game on both ends of the floor. And, I have one request of David Joplin - please don't dribble. Either shoot or pass, but do not dribble.

There is no more true statement for this team.  How does this continue to happen???  It ALWAYS ends in, at best, a terrible shot, or at worst, a turnover.  Please stop!!!!!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2024, 10:48:01 AM »
The Good:

1. The 3 ball falling early
2. Little by little Kolek is getting out of his funk
3. Jop on a heater
4. Some Ben love here
4a Getting some arc back on his 3 point shot and having success with it
4b Looking better with his movement - offensively and defensively.  (I think a lot of posters forget he was dealing with shin splints and missed most of preseason practice)
4c Good to see him getting additional minutes
5. Stevie knocking down some 3s and providing some scoring
6. Free throw shooting.  It always matters.

The Bad:
1. Those 5 minute spans where we can't score a bucket.  It's an ongoing problem.
2. Foul trouble.  Need Chase back even for 10 minutes a game
3. Jop can't jump over a pencil and his drives are cringeworthy.  Stick to what you do best young man.
4. We are the best in the country at fouling 3 point shooters.  This has to stop
5. We need to put teams away when they are on the ropes
6. Inability to once again stop the opposing player who is hot from deep
7. Freshmen having a bad day

Thoughts:
1. Chase is missed badly more on the defensive end.  Still a high impact player.  I miss those steals that lead to his breakaway dunks.
2. Zaide had a bad game but he is getting quality minutes and has incredible talent.  The game yesterday will make him a better player today and the day after and the day after.
3. Tre has not had a great season but again him getting quality minutes will help him going forward.  He might not make a huge difference this year but he is very talented and will be very impactful next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2024, 10:51:35 AM »
1- Oso looks like he belongs in the nba when he doesn’t play against elite/BE caliber bigs

Oso looks like he belongs in the NBA when he's playing against elite/BE caliber bigs even more than when he's not (with the exception of last night, when he was at his best).  Dude has dominated the likes of Dickinson, Bona, Soriano, and Kalkbrenner this year.  Even only playing 26 minutes due to foul trouble, he had 16/5/2, a steal, and a block with 0 turnovers against Purdue/Edey.  Edey did dominate offensively in that game, though.

4- Ben is way too non EGB.
Made 3 threes, stroke still didn’t look good despite the makes.
Where’s the energy though? He’s just blah.
No offense against the kid but show some emotion, show some passion, you’re playing for Shaka and a top 15 team.

Shaka is stuck to him this season, so a late of the season run can definitely do him good, but I think he rolls him out there by necessity.
Someone light a fire in the kids ass

Ben plays with a ton of energy defensively.  He's in there fighting hard.  Not everyone can/wants to be/is screaming after every big play they make.  Zaide and Tre seem similar to Ben.  Steady.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:54:29 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2024, 10:54:45 AM »
Oso looks like he belongs in the NBA when he's playing against elite/BE caliber bigs even more than when he's not (with the exception of last night, when he was at his best).  Dude has dominated the likes of Dickinson, Bona, Soriano, and Kalkbrenner this year.  Even only playing 26 minutes due to foul trouble, he had 16/5/2, a steal, and a block with 0 turnovers against Purdue/Edey.  Edey did dominate offensively in that game, though.

I think what gets the NBA scouts excited is his potential. He is still not fully polished with a switchable skill set and a high ceiling.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2024, 11:11:49 AM »
Last night was the first game that he wasn’t wearing the sling. I’ll assume that’s progress

He wasn’t wearing the sling at the SJ game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2024, 11:25:24 AM »
He wasn’t wearing the sling at the SJ game.

Ahh, I was at a family function watching that game on my phone. Even more progress!
Bring back FFP!!!

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2024, 11:45:49 AM »
I was there and what impressed the heck out of me was Stevie's play all game long.  He seems to really pick up the team when they go into a sort of sleep mode or seem to lose their moxy a bit.  He is fearless when he goes to the basket and is opportunistic on defense. 

I thought he was the best all around player yesterday.  I know Oso and TK are at another level, score/assist on all/most of our points etc. but watching the game Stevie constantly seems to be leading this team, the most aware player on the court. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2024, 11:46:40 AM »
Yes. Which is why Shaka loves Stevie more than scoopers do.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2024, 11:48:15 AM »
I was there and what impressed the heck out of me was Stevie's play all game long.  He seems to really pick up the team when they go into a sort of sleep mode or seem to lose their moxy a bit.  He is fearless when he goes to the basket and is opportunistic on defense. 

I thought he was the best all around player yesterday.  I know Oso and TK are at another level, score/assist on all/most of our points etc. but watching the game Stevie constantly seems to be leading this team, the most aware player on the court.

That's just who he is.  The grinder.  It was obvious how much the team missed him when he was injured, and it is no coincidence that we lost some of those winnable games without him in the lineup.