Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU/St. J Game Thread  (Read 12510 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: MU/St. J Game Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2024, 11:56:32 AM »
I think we should blow out this team frankly and may in fact do just that in the 2H.

SJ has 10 turnovers, but 19 to 10 in rebounds, along with zero MU threes give them lead.

MU needs more from the bench, zero nothings from all. Norman had two fouls in thirty seconds and Gold is just a disaster on all ends of floor.  Play that Lowery kid more.

Long way to go, maybe make some threes……Come on Gold, have to help out here with bench play.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2024, 11:56:44 AM »
We’re close and we will take this in the second half
Have to shake the fear of taking a 3 pointer and start making a few.

Yes - they're passing up shots now - in their own heads- Shaka needs to tell them to keep shooting - only thing that will keep the lane open
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:30 AM »
Who put this gang who can’t shoot or do much else together? For crying out loud. Take your blinders off.

I don't think we can fault Shaka AT ALL.  Why would he think his 7th rated offense last year, that returned everybody but O-Max (an avearage offensive player), would see every guy get worse at shooting 3 pointers?  Clearly guys are pressing and some confidence shaken - Shaka's job is to try to instill confidence and not strip it away.  Which, if he all of a sudden shifts gears and tells guys to limit 3 point attempts - think that erodes player confidence even further.  End of the day it is all mental at this point with regard to our shooting.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »
People think shooting is the only issue? We’re minus 12 rebounding!  That’s horrible for a game, let alone a half.

And one Ft attempted.

Only issue? No

But if the team could just be competent shooting the 3(while also hopefully not bricking lay ups like most road games) wed be nearly impossible to beat.

Even with poor rebounding.

But we are 17.5 games in, we clearly cant shoot. The data is no longer small, therefor we will not be any real threat.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Viper

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:49 AM »
Unless you have a unicorn post player, guard play and the three point shot opens up the two in the modern game.  If you're 0-10 with a European-style guy playing the 5, you're going to lose. It isn't rocket science.  All this "its toughness" talk is looking for something that isn't there.
100%

1SE

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:54 AM »
SJ has 10 turnovers, but 19 to 10 in rebounds, along with zero MU threes give them lead.

MU needs more from the bench, zero nothings from all. Norman had two fouls in thirty seconds and Gold is just a disaster on all ends of floor.  Play that Lowery kid more.

Long way to go, maybe make some threes……Come on Gold, have to help out here with bench play.

Gold has been terrible for 6 games and below expectations all season. The biggest disappointment on the team this year.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2024, 11:57:58 AM »
We win when we are within 12 rebounds of other team and at least 2 of our Big Three are scoring.    SjU will pack the paint in second half and force us to shoot threes.   How will Shaka and team respond?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2024, 11:58:52 AM »
I don't think we can fault Shaka AT ALL.  Why would he think his 7th rated offense last year, that returned everybody but O-Max (an avearage offensive player), would see every guy get worse at shooting 3 pointers?  Clearly guys are pressing and some confidence shaken - Shaka's job is to try to instill confidence and not strip it away.  Which, if he all of a sudden shifts gears and tells guys to limit 3 point attempts - think that erodes player confidence even further.  End of the day it is all mental at this point with regard to our shooting.

This is his most difficult task since he's been here. We lost 2 of our most dynamic players and are down to an 8 man rotation. We are still getting all the open looks we could ask for. The action is great. The execution just isn't.
VIOLENCE!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2024, 11:59:27 AM »
Lol. They shot all of last year and the start of this year.

You're going to tell me that you if you were the coach you would have cut the whole team after going 29-7 and started over?

We have the guys. The guys need to make the shots.

No one has improved over last year, which is hard to believe but true. The freshman aren’t ready to play this year and we ignored the portal. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2024, 12:00:07 PM »
I just can’t comprehend how omax is the difference between a two seed and this: this team looks straight up bad. Like multiple guys regressed.  The three point shooting is ridiculous beyond parody. One of the worst in the country. for the first team this year I’m really questioning if this team is good… seems like a bubble tourney team wtf

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2024, 12:00:21 PM »
They are passing up open 3’s in rhythm - at this point nobody even looks like they WANT to take a 3.

If they don’t pull this out the regular season is just purgatory.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2024, 12:00:43 PM »
GE - I would not have cut the whole team … but I sure as hell would have used the Portal ( like every other damn team in the country) … to replace OMAX and add an actual shooter!!

Instead… we have this ….

chicagowarrior

• Starter
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2024, 12:00:52 PM »
0/11 from 3...yikes

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2024, 12:01:27 PM »
Stevie is the only player playing to his offensive potential and that potential isn’t enough to win games

1SE

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2024, 12:02:20 PM »
No one has improved over last year, which is hard to believe but true. The freshman aren’t ready to play this year and we ignored the portal.

Zaide is playing some tough minutes. I think arguably Oso and Stevie are playing better this yeat (as was Sean) - but everyone else I agree. Gold just brutal- if he can't hit the open three Shaka needs  to give him the pole ax

Viper

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2024, 12:02:26 PM »

im sure Gold is a nice guy, and much credit to him for going to school so far from home. But to this point, he’s just not very good. You can’t teach quickness and attitude.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2024, 12:03:21 PM »
I’m feeling like last season, winning the BE and BE tourney, was fools gold. MU is playing like Shaka’s Texas teams.
Last year feels like an aberration for sure.  I didn’t watch Shaka’s UT teams but this one is mediocre at best.  0fer from 3 exposes all of your weaknesses.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2024, 12:03:33 PM »

I don’t agree. The book has been written and copied how to attack and beat us. Izzo started it in March. Shaka did nothing to improve this team by adding guys and their offseason development has been an abject failure.  Not only guys failing to improve but regressing big time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2024, 12:03:51 PM »
They are passing up open 3’s in rhythm - at this point nobody even looks like they WANT to take a 3.

If they don’t pull this out the regular season is just purgatory.

Unbearably frustrating '72.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2024, 12:04:50 PM »
Where is nolonger to rub it in lol

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2024, 12:04:55 PM »
Rebound stat is irrelevant in a vacuum. It has a clear correlation with # of missed shots

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2024, 12:05:01 PM »
Ironic that the longest made basket in the first half was an Oso push shot from the free throw line.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2024, 12:05:04 PM »
I do think we will play a better second half....and I do feel we will end up winning this game, as I just don't believe we will continue to be ice cold from 3.

I also feel Zaide needs to be playing pretty much max minutes on this current squad.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2024, 12:05:26 PM »

Shaka recruiting for a culture. I rather have him recruiting for players who can actually make a basket, not foul on threes and not throw basketballs in the stands.

Let’s see how second half goes. Just don’t like players hesitant on shooting now. Yikes.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2024, 12:05:45 PM »
STJ 3-9          MU 0-11  away ?
NOVA 14-33 MU 7-23   home W
BUT 10-22    MU 5-31   home L
HALL 6-15    MU 10-28 away L
CR 12-32      MU 9-31   home W

Fyi