* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:47:43 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUDPT
[Today at 11:36:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 310646 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2024, 10:49:47 AM »
Apparently this one is frowned upon.

By some, sure. We all think differently.

Goose and I are as big optimists about this season's team and about the job Shaka is doing as anyone on this board, and yet we both wish he had added a little help through the portal.

It's a reasonable argument. But so is, "Shaka is doing a damn good job, and until that changes, I trust his judgment."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2024, 10:51:05 AM »
You can say it. I can disagree with it.  That is how it works.    Who is going to get Shaka-canned to create space?  And if no one, would you rather use the 13th scholarship on a transfer big or a point guard?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2024, 10:54:17 AM »
The group that started againist Creighton was

Stevie Mitchell
Kam Jones
David Joplin
Chase Ross
 Ben Gold.

Find me the player that will transfer and be better than one of these 5 and who won't seek out 250k in NIL from a SEC School like Bama or Kentucky.

(This player doesn't exist/ won't be easily identifiable.) We ain't going into the portal guys

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2024, 10:55:23 AM »

Stevie Mitchell
Kam Jones
David Joplin
Chase Ross
 Ben Gold.

Find me the player that will transfer and be better than one of these 5 and who won't seek out 250k in NIL from a SEC School like Bama or Kentucky.

250 on the low end for an impact guy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2024, 10:56:57 AM »
would you rather use the 13th scholarship on a transfer big or a point guard?

That's easy - PG, especially if the prognosis for SJones is as bad as most think it is.

Tyrese Haliburton has some eligibility left. Can we get him?

Stevie Mitchell
Kam Jones
David Joplin
Chase Ross
 Ben Gold.

(This player doesn't exist/ won't be easily identifiable.) We ain't going into the portal guys

OK, let's say I agree that it would be impossible to find a transfer better than those 5 who won't seek big money. How about a nice depth piece? This season has shown that could come in valuable, no?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2024, 10:59:46 AM »

Stevie Mitchell
Kam Jones
David Joplin
Chase Ross
 Ben Gold.

This will be a good time to assess if Tre Norman can play some point, Mitchell and Kam can play some point, but are not point guards.  See what happens.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2024, 11:01:15 AM »

Stevie Mitchell
Kam Jones
David Joplin
Chase Ross
 Ben Gold.

Not every impact player is automatically chasing the heaviest bag possible.  There may be some impact lead or combo guards that already had a relationship with Shaka and staff that hit the portal.

Nobody can identify those players right now because nobody is in the portal right now.  Maybe in a month we'll have a better idea.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2024, 11:02:21 AM »
Retention.  Development.  Culture.  Count how many times Shaka says those words when asked about transfers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2024, 11:03:31 AM »
This will be a good time to assess if Tre Norman can play some point, Mitchell and Kam can play some point, but are not point guards.  See what happens.

That would be the one spot i would look. But it would be for a long term guy. Not a quick fix guy.

Next years offense will have to be more Heliocentric and iso ball. But it can still work really well. Every NBA team proves this.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2024, 11:04:59 AM »
Apparently this one is frowned upon.

Well, the prerequisite is that it is "well thought out."

"Is this Caedin Hamilton kid on a scholarship? If so, cya buddy," is an example of not being well thought out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2024, 11:05:18 AM »
250 on the low end for an impact guy

Source?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2024, 11:05:55 AM »
Not every impact player is automatically chasing the heaviest bag possible.  There may be some impact lead or combo guards that already had a relationship with Shaka and staff that hit the portal.

Nobody can identify those players right now because nobody is in the portal right now.  Maybe in a month we'll have a better idea.

True. But every Impact player that can break into that starting five is 100% getting a bag.

That starting five is really high level. Every single player is in the top 350ish players this year, and likely top 250ish next year.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2024, 11:07:05 AM »
Well, the prerequisite is that it is "well thought out."

"Is this Caedin Hamilton kid on a scholarship? If so, cya buddy," is an example of not being well thought out.

Espcially when he came to school 1 year early, virtually knowing he wasn't playing this year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2024, 11:07:26 AM »
That's the case for few, if any, on Scoop.

Those who said Shaka should use the portal to add a little size or get a replacement for OMax because such a targeted signing could help areas of need ... well thought out.

Those who said Shaka needs to get a replacement for OMax cuz without him we won’t be a top team and this is our year……not well thought out.

Those who said Shaka needs to get a replacement for OMax because if he does and our 6th man of the year, who was expecting an opportunity to start doesn’t…then gets frustrated and transfers the following season……and that one year replacement is gone? …..not well thought out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2024, 11:08:15 AM »
Source?

It’s cute you think players aren’t getting paid to transfer
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2024, 11:13:49 AM »
Those who said Shaka needs to get a replacement for OMax cuz without him we won’t be a top team and this is our year……not well thought out.

Those who said Shaka needs to get a replacement for OMax because if he does and our 6th man of the year, who was expecting an opportunity to start doesn’t…then gets frustrated and transfers the following season……and that one year replacement is gone? …..not well thought out.

How about ...

Those who felt it would help the team if Shaka brought in a transfer who could replace some of what OMax did well, and to give the roster more versatility and depth.

I think that's pretty well thought out, but you're allowed to disagree.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2024, 11:14:33 AM »
Isn't that still what they're headed for?

Possibly.  Could fall to tie for 3rd if we lose out.  Might fall to a 3 seed.

My main point, was that as a projected 2 seed, Marquette was well positioned to make a run at Phoenix.

Kolek's injury brings a lot of uncertainty.  But the roster was good enough to make a deep March run.  Still might be.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2024, 11:16:39 AM »
How about ...

Those who felt it would help the team if Shaka brought in a transfer who could replace some of what OMax did well, and to give the roster more versatility and depth.

I think that's pretty well thought out, but you're allowed to disagree.

It is well thought out.  Imagining the roster with a transfer guard or big next year is as well.  However, what isn’t well thought out is saying Shaka should pull a scholarship to bring in a transfer.  Simply won’t happen, nor should it given what HE SAYS REPEADETLY
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2024, 11:18:45 AM »
Are you kidding?  Criticism of head coaches is so encouraged that it's still done decades after they've left.

Criticism for other posters occurs when people say things like "I disagree with Shaka when he says that he won't take transfers".  That criticism comes from Shaka never saying that. Despite not taking a transfer last summer, Shaka pursued some.  Even if he doesn't take a transfer this summer, I'm sure he'll be looking.  Just because a transfer doesn't happen does not mean that the coach didn't attempt to get one.
state an opinion on Scoop…maybe something ‘controversial’ or against the grain and the usual suspects will flame your arse. It’s good fun actually, but don’t tell me Scoop is anything more than followers and reactionaries.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2024, 11:21:00 AM »
Well thought out: If Wojo was still here, Tyler wouldn't have suffered an oblique injury as hot yoga would have been part of the training regimen.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2024, 11:22:53 AM »
state an opinion on Scoop…maybe something ‘controversial’ or against the grain and the usual suspects will flame your arse. It’s good fun actually, but don’t tell me Scoop is anything more than followers and reactionaries.

If you state an opinion designed to troll, like suggesting of pulling a scholarship from a current player to go after a transfer, you will get criticized.

If you state a well thought out opinion that adds to the conversation, people may disagree with you, but no one if going to "flame your arse".
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2024, 11:28:43 AM »
So every time a freshman disappoints, we are going to point out the one Oso instead of the dozens of Keeyans?

No, every time a freshman disappoints “we’re” not going to assume he’s a division II-caliber player.

This is a very silly stance you’ve taken. When it comes to Al specifically, I think the odds he’s a legitimate contributor at Marquette far outweigh the likelihood of him transferring after this season. A lot in this thread seem to disagree with that. Let me know if you’d like to put some cash on it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2024, 11:32:10 AM »
You make a good point. Sultan loves to be contrary and can handle the disagreements.   He thrives on pouncing on weak arguments, not just that they disagree with him, call him names, and doxx him.

I doubt any poster on this board as been more personally attacked more often than Sultan. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:34:39 AM by tower912 »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2024, 11:34:45 AM »
If you state an opinion designed to troll, like suggesting of pulling a scholarship from a current player to go after a transfer, you will get criticized.

If you state a well thought out opinion that adds to the conversation, people may disagree with you, but no one if going to "flame your arse".
that’s not my experience 😂. I’m thinking of amending my moniker to Dork Moron Snowflake Idiot Lost Viper 😂😂😂
btw, coaches over recruit. If it’s determined a player on scholarship might be a miss…for whatever reason…talent, culture fit, whatever it might be…coaches will look at options. Solid character coaches will help find a new home/better fit for that player, but it does happen. On the down side/unethical, didn’t Buzz kick a signed recruit to the curb at the last minute?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2024, 11:41:15 AM »
that’s not my experience 😂. I’m thinking of amending my moniker to Dork Moron Snowflake Idiot Lost Viper 😂😂😂
btw, coaches over recruit. If it’s determined a player on scholarship might be a miss…for whatever reason…talent, culture fit, whatever it might be…coaches will look at options. Solid character coaches will help find a new home/better fit for that player, but it does happen. On the down side/unethical, didn’t Buzz kick a signed recruit to the curb at the last minute?

Making yourself the victim, very much on point for you.

Sure coaches over recruit.  Ben was recruited over Keeyan. Chase was recruited over Ellis.  The difference with both of those situations is that they were both in the program for two+ years.  Shaka was watching them practice for 2+ years, Shaka had seen that they couldn't contribute in games for 1 year.  The players saw that there was somebody younger than them that was ahead of them on the depth chart.  None of those currently apply to Hamilton. He's been on campus for less than a year (a year when he was supposed to be at prep school btw), and hasn't had the chance to prove that he can (or can't) contribute, due to his sitting out the year.  If he can't get any game time next year at this time, the suggestion may have some merit, but at this point, it laughably stupid to suggest pulling his scholarship to go get a transfer.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.