[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 125662 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2024, 08:22:42 AM »
We’ve seen this movie before.

Same happened with Emarion and Wrightsil after their injuries.
Shaka supported them to the fullest and then helped them move on.

Let’s not forget that Ben is on the up and up and Royce, Caedin are also in the fold, so there’s traffic.
Shaka knows though and he and Al will do the right thing one way or the other

This is by far the best analysis of Al yet. He has the tools but, for one reason or another, he can't get playing time. None of us see what Shaka sees in practice so it's hard to say for sure what the situation is.

That said, I see Al Amadou as Emarion Ellis v2.0. He's talented but his talents probably are not suited for basketball at the Big East level. I hope I'm wrong but I'm betting not.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2024, 08:28:58 AM »
This is by far the best analysis of Al yet. He has the tools but, for one reason or another, he can't get playing time. None of us see what Shaka sees in practice so it's hard to say for sure what the situation is.

That said, I see Al Amadou as Emarion Ellis v2.0. He's talented but his talents probably are not suited for basketball at the Big East level. I hope I'm wrong but I'm betting not.

And I don't know why its so controversial to say this. Taking flyers on prospects means you are going to miss a lot - and that's fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2024, 08:31:06 AM »
Not controversial.   Amadou is a project. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2024, 08:32:17 AM »

Agree with you and Doc. Especially your comment that he simply may not be BE material.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2024, 08:41:04 AM »
My guess is that our starting PG forn next season is already on the roster

I suspect you are probably correct. As much as I personally want Shaka to target a transfer PG, I see him rolling with the guys he's developed for 1, 2, or 3 years.

Stevie, Kam, and Chase are the likely starters.  Roles will be adjusted in the offseason to make up for the loss of Kolek.

Tre, Zaide, and Damarius providing depth and Sean Jones could return at some point.  Maybe Sean's even ready for the start of fall practices.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2024, 08:47:17 AM »
I think Amadou is Big East material.   Patience is a virtue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2024, 08:59:52 AM »
Agree with you and Doc. Especially your comment that he simply may not be BE material.

I’m not quite certain I’m there yet, but I would bet Shaka has a good idea.

The good news is that I don’t really see Al ever being a problem on the offensive end- he definitely fits the bill as BE material with regards to athleticism.
Marquette plays a free flowing offense and he’s shown a good knack for finishing around the rim, especially on alley-oops which is a good skill for a Marquette “big.” He’s got good hands.

The problem is that as free flowing as the offense is, the defense is extremely structured and you’ve gotta have your head on a swivel and be in the right position at all times or else it all falls apart.

He can block shots, I’m sure he can rebound, but I haven’t seen anything to tell me that he’s progressed with any of his defensive abilities, especially positioning and reads.
If he had, he woulda played some valuable minutes.

I’d be willing it bet it all comes down to if Shaka feels like he can teach him that, and if Al feels like he can pick it up enough to not fall to 4th on the depth chart sort of thing

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:14 AM »
Is this Caedin Hamilton kid on a scholarship? If so, cya buddy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2024, 09:08:22 AM »
Is this Caedin Hamilton kid on a scholarship? If so, cya buddy.

Very stupid thing to say.  He is redshirting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2024, 09:10:50 AM »
6'9, new to basketball, learning to guard on the perimeter.    Buzz used to get blasted for saying that freshman playing time was dictated by how quickly they picked up defensive assignments.

I look at Ben and Oso's physical development over the last two years.   I look at Ben's ever improving understanding on the defensive end.  I then picture Amadou at 235 with a more thorough understanding on the defensive end.   And I look at the young 6'9-6'10 guys in the conference and how much they are playing.    And then I quit worrying about AA and remind myself to trust the process.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2024, 09:11:22 AM »
Very stupid thing to say.  He is redshirting.
So he does have one? Cya buddy. Bring in a transfer big who can play minutes at the BE level next year. Can't afford two project centers on the roster.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2024, 09:12:03 AM »
So he does have one? Cya buddy. Bring in a transfer big who can play minutes at the BE level next year.

Very stupid thing to say.  He will play next year.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2024, 09:12:37 AM »
Conversation is so dumb. gonna send our 3rd straight frontcourt player to the draft.

Shaka has sent 8 in 8 years.

This staff is smarter than you all on frontcourt players.

If they add to this team. It will be in the backcourt, and it will be a long term plan.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2024, 09:13:34 AM »
Very stupid thing to say.  He will play next year.
"play"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2024, 09:16:31 AM »
So he does have one? Cya buddy. Bring in a transfer big who can play minutes at the BE level next year. Can't afford two project centers on the roster.

IMO it will be Ben Gold backed up by Al or Caeden next year. And that's absolutely fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2024, 09:17:12 AM »
12 scholarships spoken for, assuming Oso and TKo leave.  Unless there are departures, not much is coming in.
Gold, Joplin, Amadou, Hamilton, Parham, and Owens are the forwards.   Green, but finally numbers.
Kam, Stevie, Chase, Tre, Zaide, and hopefully Sean.  Kam is a wild card.

If that is indeed the roster, I see great potential.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2024, 09:18:59 AM »
Conversation is so dumb. gonna send our 3rd straight frontcourt player to the draft.

If they add to this team. It will be in the backcourt, and it will be a long term plan.

And they have never seen Al as a 5. He'll play the OMax role more than the Oso role.

We'll see what happens, but no staff hits on every scholarship guy. I think there's enough there with Al to justify the wait if he's patient enough.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2024, 09:19:12 AM »
12 scholarships spoken for, assuming Oso and TKo leave.  Unless there are departures, not much is coming in.
Gold, Joplin, Amadou, Hamilton, Parham, and Owens are the forwards.   Green, but finally numbers.
Kam, Stevie, Chase, Tre, Zaide, and hopefully Sean.  Kam is a wild card.

If that is indeed the roster, I see great potential.
Don't disagree, I just am of the opinion we need a transfer big who can play. I also would've liked that player this year as well.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2024, 09:19:28 AM »

Always good to double-down on the initial dumb post. 

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2024, 09:20:19 AM »
Always good to double-down on the initial dumb post.
Sorry I don't think the unranked center with other offers from Drexel, Northeastern and UC Irvine wont be a contributor in his second year (first with actual game minutes).

Don't think it's an outrageous opinion to have.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2024, 09:23:42 AM »
Ben's 'other offers' were from?   Hamilton was going to prep school for a year.  The staff said we like you.   Work with us instead.   I think they swooped in early and beat the rush.   Having said that, again, patience is a virtue.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2024, 09:24:40 AM »
Sorry I don't think the unranked center with other offers from Drexel, Northeastern and UC Irvine wont be a contributor in his second year (first with actual game minutes).

Don't think it's an outrageous opinion to have.

Ignoring Colorado and Gonzaga nice, and he was going to prep school until august and optted to come to Marquette a year early.

But hey lets leave stuff out
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:26:40 AM by jfp61 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2024, 09:25:56 AM »
Every once and a while I get to remind myself how to ignore users.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2024, 09:26:24 AM »
I believe that we are going to see more play ready freshmen starting with this class. Shaka has had a luxury on not needing the young guys to play a big role because of the experience of the players coming back. It allowed him to roll the dice a bit on development vs. playing from day one. I would be shocked if Parham was not a contributor from day one next year.

I think MU is 100% set on bigs for next year and PG is the big question mark. I know TAMU does not see a portal PG and I hope he is wrong. I think they need an experienced guy with a motor, but not sure what Shaka does in the portal this year.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2024, 09:27:36 AM »

I agree with this analysis.  I also think Al Amadou has very good potential.  Not to mention Shaka absolutely loves the kid's attitude.

Big men typically take longer to develop and Al was late to the game.  Not sure why some Scoopers think he should automatically be at a point where he's a viable player during non-garbage time just because we were done Oso in Omaha.

I can absolutely see Al evolving like Oso, though he may be a 5 year guy, versus what Oso's become in 4.