Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 309117 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1475 on: April 21, 2024, 08:26:13 PM »
He’s a proven player and the MU backups have not proven anything yet. If Jones was healthy then fine, but the rest have a lot to prove

Yes. That doesn’t counter anything I have said.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: April 21, 2024, 08:26:39 PM »
Would love Hunter to come in and run the point and be a hound defensively.

But Gary Woelful reporting MU has expressed interest in him just confirms that MU has no interest whatsoever.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: April 21, 2024, 08:28:49 PM »

But Gary Woelful reporting MU has expressed interest in him just confirms that MU has no interest whatsoever.

Just think about where he is getting his information.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: April 21, 2024, 09:27:50 PM »

If Hunter was from anywhere else but Racine I'd agree about Woelfel. He's pretty tied in there though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: April 21, 2024, 09:51:35 PM »
I would be very happy if Shaka landed Hunter.

If Shaka determines that Hunter is what the team needs, I also would be very happy to welcome him to Marquette.

Doesn't change what I said. The way it worked out, instead of Hunter we ended up with TK and Stevie, and I'm thrilled about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1480 on: April 21, 2024, 10:18:38 PM »
What goalposts were shifted?

I said Cardet is good and stand by that. I shifted nothing. You people just attack anything you don't agree with. If you don't think he's good, fine. I do.

Rothstein
"Source: Chicago State transfer Wesley Cardet is currently visiting Providence.

Averaged 18.7 PPG last season."

Big East is going to be a gauntlet.

This implies that either you think Cardet is a little more than "good" or you have a very liberal definition of "gauntlet".

Cardet is a fine pickup. He wouldn't start for us. I'm not sure he'll start for Providence. Possible 4th/5th starters/first guys off the bench aren't what gauntlets are made of.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1481 on: April 21, 2024, 10:22:23 PM »
I'm not sure why it matters when it comes to an individual player.
George Mason isn't equal to Duke, but Tyler Kolek was a more impactful transfer than Jaemyn Brakefield or Henry Coleman.

I have no idea whether Cardet will help Providence or not. But the argument that he can't "because Chicago State" is silly.

Where a player plays gives their performance context. Saying you put up 18.7 points a game (which was the only stat referenced in the original post) is a lot more impressive at George Mason, ECU, Duke, etc than it is at Chicago State.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: April 22, 2024, 02:33:25 AM »

Hunter ending up here could be like how Shaka ended up at MU. Timing is everything. I think he is a very good fit and a position that needs some firepower. This is one guy I would like to see added from the portal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1483 on: April 22, 2024, 06:43:15 AM »
Where a player plays gives their performance context. Saying you put up 18.7 points a game (which was the only stat referenced in the original post) is a lot more impressive at George Mason, ECU, Duke, etc than it is at Chicago State.

Entirely possible. But Cardet started every game as a freshman at Samford in the SoCon and transferred to help his uncle who had taken over arguably the hardest job in D1 at Chicago State. Cardet led them in scoring for two years, putting up solid efficiency numbers on a team where it's very hard to do that and led them to their two best kenpom finishes since the oughts.

We just saw a Northern Colorado transfer who played on two sub-200 kenpom teams transform into a first team All-American at Tennessee. If kenpom #222 Northern Colorado could have an All-American in Dalton Knecht on their roster, it's entirely plausible #295 Chicago State could have a quality high major starter on theirs.

Writing off Cardet to me seems premature. Every now and then bad programs have good players, I think this could be one of those cases.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: April 22, 2024, 06:56:33 AM »

But I didn't write anything about how many ppg Cardet scored or whether or not that's as impressive as posting similar numbers at a different program.
I just think it's silly to write off a player solely on the fact he played one season at Chicago State.

It wasn't so long ago that people here were certain that a guy who put up numbers at an NAIA school could have an impact for a high-major program.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: April 22, 2024, 07:47:37 AM »
Having taught Tyrese in high school, I would be ecstatic to see him come to Marquette to finish his career.  He'd bring the shooting and ball handling we need, though I'm not sure he'd want to come off the bench and pushing Chase to the bench seems against Shakas style

Given the openings, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tyrese go to Madison to play with his high school teammate McGee.  They're still close and I know Kam came to Milwaukee to see Tyrese play for Texas .

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: April 22, 2024, 07:58:41 AM »
Of all the rotational players from last year, Hunter would have been 7th in EFG (behind Jop, ahead of Chase.) Now his assist rate is decent, but that turnover rate? Yikes.

If it weren't for the fact that he is from Racine, would anyone really be excited about him? A guy who can provide depth at the guard position, but that's about it. He's a pretty inefficient player who hasn't improved much at all in college.

That being said, if Shaka wants him, I'm on-board. But I don't think any of us have to worry about that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: April 22, 2024, 08:17:47 AM »
Of all the rotational players from last year, Hunter would have been 7th in EFG (behind Jop, ahead of Chase.) Now his assist rate is decent, but that turnover rate? Yikes.

If it weren't for the fact that he is from Racine, would anyone really be excited about him? A guy who can provide depth at the guard position, but that's about it. He's a pretty inefficient player who hasn't improved much at all in college.

That being said, if Shaka wants him, I'm on-board. But I don't think any of us have to worry about that.

Yeah, I thought even for having good counting stats at ISU, he was pretty inefficient. If Shaka sees a fit, I'm onboard, but not sure he's a must get or anything.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1488 on: April 22, 2024, 08:30:41 AM »

Yeah, he’s been wildly inefficient.  I’d trust Shaka with him and he’d be fine as a depth piece.  Maybe they catch lighting in a bottle and he takes a big leap but he hasn’t shown it yet
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1489 on: April 22, 2024, 08:38:59 AM »
Hunter a good spot up shooter and good in transition, as well as a good distributor. A few too many turnovers and less than ideal size, but the biggest issue is he's not very good in pick n roll ball handler situations.

He's a good defender and Texas was better on both offense and defense with him on the floor this past year. I could see a world where Kam is the point on offense with Hunter off the ball, but Hunter takes the best guard on the defensive end. If the staff thinks it can work I'd be interested to see how it worked, but I'm not sure he's the ideal fit in a vacuum.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: April 22, 2024, 08:46:19 AM »
Hunter ending up here could be like how Shaka ended up at MU. Timing is everything. I think he is a very good fit and a position that needs some firepower. This is one guy I would like to see added from the portal.

I'm a big believer in adding talent if it will be a net positive. And again, I trust Shaka, so if he wanted to bring in Hunter I'd be sure he'd have a plan and it would work out.

But I also agree with what some other Scoopers are saying. If Hunter were to come to Marquette, it would mean somebody whom Shaka has considered very valuable would have to sacrifice PT, most likely Stevie or Ross (or both). And that would seem to go against exactly what Shaka has been preaching the last 2 years: taking care of his own.

I don't think this conversation is gonna matter because I doubt Hunter-to-Marquette has a chance of happening ... but if it did happen, it would make for a really interesting case study into how Shaka would handle this kind of thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: April 22, 2024, 08:55:08 AM »
I'm a big believer in adding talent if it will be a net positive. And again, I trust Shaka, so if he wanted to bring in Hunter I'd be sure he'd have a plan and it would work out.

But I also agree with what some other Scoopers are saying. If Hunter were to come to Marquette, it would mean somebody whom Shaka has considered very valuable would have to sacrifice PT, most likely Stevie or Ross (or both). And that would seem to go against exactly what Shaka has been preaching the last 2 years: taking care of his own.

I don't think this conversation is gonna matter because I doubt Hunter-to-Marquette has a chance of happening ... but if it did happen, it would make for a really interesting case study into how Shaka would handle this kind of thing.

I don't think starting matters so much as minutes played.  There would be plenty of minutes available for Chase, Hunter and others.  I guess the bigger issue might be NIL money.  Someone coming in getting more money than those currently on the team could cause a problem.  Either way, I doubt Hunter comes to MU.  I think Bucky is scrambling and going to make sure Hunter gets paid to go to Madison.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: April 22, 2024, 09:03:02 AM »
The primary reason to bring in Hunter would be to move Kam off the ball more and insurance at the PG position.  We have no idea when JTY will be ready and it's unknown if Chase, ZL, or Norman can play the 1.  I do think Mitchell can for spot minutes. 

My contention is our priority should be getting a big.  We have no insurance for Ben.  I do think we will see a lot of 4 guard line-ups, and Ross, ZL, and Tre are all big guards with the athleticism to defend and rebound.  But I would feel much better about this team moving forward with a badass big; capable of inflicting damage; mixing it up a bit; and being a dominant presence on both ends of the floor. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: April 22, 2024, 09:37:34 AM »
The primary reason to bring in Hunter would be to move Kam off the ball more and insurance at the PG position.  We have no idea when JTY will be ready and it's unknown if Chase, ZL, or Norman can play the 1.  I do think Mitchell can for spot minutes. 

My contention is our priority should be getting a big.  We have no insurance for Ben.  I do think we will see a lot of 4 guard line-ups, and Ross, ZL, and Tre are all big guards with the athleticism to defend and rebound.  But I would feel much better about this team moving forward with a badass big; capable of inflicting damage; mixing it up a bit; and being a dominant presence on both ends of the floor.

I would prefer a big but there are not many out there. Shake must feel good that one of the guys will step up and be a suitable sub for Ben.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1494 on: April 22, 2024, 09:58:10 AM »
But I didn't write anything about how many ppg Cardet scored or whether or not that's as impressive as posting similar numbers at a different program.
I just think it's silly to write off a player solely on the fact he played one season at Chicago State.

It wasn't so long ago that people here were certain that a guy who put up numbers at an NAIA school could have an impact for a high-major program.

You're assuming two things, one that i wrote him off,  two that the only criteria I was using was where he was from.

I think Cardet will be fine. I was just pointing out some hyperbole.

I looked at the numbers Cardet put up and given the context that he put them up for Chicago State i don't think his addition significantly changes how much of a gauntlet the Big East will be next season. If he put up better numbers, i would have a different opinion.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1495 on: April 22, 2024, 10:06:21 AM »

Muggsy:
One scenario that could play out is that JTY sits out the entire season and focuses on getting his body 100 percent again.

Tyrese would be a one year rental to fill the JTY role. Seems like the biggest issue would be NIL and that could be a bridge too far.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: April 22, 2024, 10:33:04 AM »
I would prefer a big but there are not many out there. Shake must feel good that one of the guys will step up and be a suitable sub for Ben.

Benny has a lot of skills.  I'm not particularly concerned with his offense.  The question is can he rebound, stay out of foul trouble, and defend at a reasonable level.  He's shown to be a pretty good help defender and I think he has the footspeed to guard on switches.  But he also gets beat and pushed around a lot.  I would like to see him gain some muscle.

I think the two X factors for this team will be whether we can get immediate contributions from the Frosh, or if one of our Soph bigs can step up.  If both are the case we could definitely be in business.  Kam coming back changes everything and I expect Ross' explosiveness, and ability to shred nets from distance, to be a joy to watch in '24-25.  This kid has the goods. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: April 22, 2024, 10:42:53 AM »
TAMU

I definitely think if one of the frosh can contribute that it changes things for next season. I think they will get plenty of opportunities to prove themselves. Who is the second Soph big?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1498 on: April 22, 2024, 10:46:00 AM »
I think there's confusion over the class status of Hamilton.

Amadou will be a sophomore, Hamilton will be a redshirt freshman. But as both have been here for a year, they are being lumped together.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: April 22, 2024, 10:51:18 AM »
I think there's confusion over the class status of Hamilton.

Amadou will be a sophomore, Hamilton will be a redshirt freshman. But as both have been here for a year, they are being lumped together.

Yes, and thus 3x3x3x3 works

feedback