[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette NIL Strategy  (Read 5658 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette NIL Strategy
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2024, 07:47:48 AM »
I would suggest the NCAA *didn't* like NIL become the wild west. It's the schools. The NCAA knows it realistically can't manage NIL, which is why they went to Congress. But that isn't going anywhere.

They slow rolled it to try to keep all the money to themselves. If you want to blame the member institutions that make up the NCAA, I'm not sure I see any real difference.

The writing on the wall for this was penned during the O'Bannon case. They knew for years this was coming and tried to keep it away. Had they come up with regulations, they could've controlled it for far longer, just like they did for decades with amateurism. But they did nothing, so here we are.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2024, 08:31:19 AM »
They slow rolled it to try to keep all the money to themselves. If you want to blame the member institutions that make up the NCAA, I'm not sure I see any real difference.

The writing on the wall for this was penned during the O'Bannon case. They knew for years this was coming and tried to keep it away. Had they come up with regulations, they could've controlled it for far longer, just like they did for decades with amateurism. But they did nothing, so here we are.

My point is that as soon as the NCAA as an organization set the regulations, they were ignored by its members.  And when the enforcement staff has tried to enforce them, the members started to sue their own organization.  So it *is* the wild west. Everyone is getting paid, which is fine because obviously a scholarship wasn't enough compensation.  But essentially there are no longer regulations on any of this.

Agreed on your second paragraph, but now the only entity that can put the genie back in the bottle is Congress - and they don't seem all that interested.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2024, 09:32:09 AM »

Agreed on your second paragraph, but now the only entity that can put the genie back in the bottle is Congress - and they don't seem all that interested.

Congress is interested in two things - making speeches and maintaining an environment where they can stay forever and become multimillionaires.

Any “legislation” they want handled by the executive and judicial branch. So, other than a speech here and there, they are most definitely not interested.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 10:29:36 AM »

Only a few years ago the NIL advocates assured us that schools would never be directly involved, because making NIL conditional on attending a particular school was not only against NCAA rules but also against the law in many states. 

The quaint notion at the time was that NIL would consist of examples like Caitlin Clark independently negotiating directly with State Farm to earn a promotional fee.  What we got was an organized way that boosters funnel money to players to pay-for-play under the guise of charitable acts, and now whining that their payments aren't tax deductible.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 10:34:04 AM »
Only a few years ago the NIL advocates assured us that schools would never be directly involved, because making NIL conditional on attending a particular school was not only against NCAA rules but also against the law in many states. 

The quaint notion at the time was that NIL would consist of examples like Caitlin Clark independently negotiating directly with State Farm to earn a promotional fee.  What we got was an organized way that boosters funnel money to players to pay-for-play under the guise of charitable acts, and now whining that their payments aren't tax deductible.

Who said this?  I've always been an NIL advocate, but I never once said that schools wouldn't be directly involved or that it would be a way to funnel booster money to the players.  It was obvious that was going to be the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow