[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette NIL Strategy  (Read 5613 times)

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
Re: Marquette NIL Strategy
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 11:46:15 PM »
My initial point was more that NIL is often viewed as a recruitment tool. I like MU thinking about it also as a key retention tool.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 06:23:54 AM »
here's another example of the NIL in action(from a very good source)

vj edgecombe- 5* recruit out of long island lutheran heavily recruited narrowed down his final 3 to
                               duke, kentucky & baylor
                         duke offered $1.3 mil
                         kentucky offered $1 mil
                         baylor initially offered #300k then upped it to $800k

on sunday, vj chose baylor bears
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2024, 06:46:32 AM »
Coming from a reliable source deep within UW……Creighton offered Chucky Hepburn $600K this offseason. The numbers are higher than one might think…..especially the older guys on here.

"Creighton offered Chucky Hepburn $600k" is miles away from "Chucky Hepburn made $600k."

I wouldn't dispute that schools are putting crazy inflated numbers in front of players, but the vast majority of the time, those numbers are just that. Crazy, inflated, and ultimately inaccurate because the players won't make that much.

This is another reason the NCAA shouldn't have let NIL become the Wild West. There's no regulation, so there's nothing to stop a booster or collective from offering $1M then delivering 10¢ on the dollar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2024, 06:50:11 AM »
Chucky is getting $600k from Westgate Barbers.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2024, 07:20:55 AM »
My initial point was more that NIL is often viewed as a recruitment tool. I like MU thinking about it also as a key retention tool.

Viewed that way by fans who dream stuff up, sure

Schools can’t say they view it as a direct recruitment tool used by them
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2024, 07:43:33 AM »
And it's bot generated

I am old fart. How can you tell it was bot generated?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2024, 08:35:05 AM »
"Creighton offered Chucky Hepburn $600k" is miles away from "Chucky Hepburn made $600k."

I wouldn't dispute that schools are putting crazy inflated numbers in front of players, but the vast majority of the time, those numbers are just that. Crazy, inflated, and ultimately inaccurate because the players won't make that much.

This is another reason the NCAA shouldn't have let NIL become the Wild West. There's no regulation, so there's nothing to stop a booster or collective from offering $1M then delivering 10¢ on the dollar.

Perhaps there's nothing written that stops that, but I think players will wise up pretty quickly if program X is not delivering on NIL promises. Once you lose your credibility, good luck recruiting going forward.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 08:42:05 AM »

Well, he is not at Creighton so he didn’t “make” anything from Creighton.

Or, a booster can offer $1M and pay $1M.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 08:49:31 AM »
Well, he is not at Creighton so he didn’t “make” anything from Creighton.

Or, a booster can offer $1M and pay $1M.

They can, but it’s a violation
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 09:27:48 AM »

And Creighton has in the past

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 09:53:02 AM »
And Creighton has in the past

There's quietly a ton of money in Omaha with the insurance companies, gas/oil and Berkshire Hathaway.
We Are Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 10:37:32 AM »
There's quietly a ton of money in Omaha with the insurance companies, gas/oil and Berkshire Hathaway.

Add in tech (Offutt driven), farmers and banks. Omaha has the largest collection of millionaires per capita.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 11:29:09 AM »
...so there's nothing to stop a booster or collective from offering $1M then delivering 10¢ on the dollar.

I suspect that the "market" would address that fairly quickly.

I'm not arguing that all the promises made by these collectives/boosters will be kept, but I do think that these kids will learn pretty quickly who delivers and who does not. They talk. A school would not benefit if its collective/boosters developed a reputation of not being able to deliver.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2024, 01:20:27 PM »

You mean Dawson never made his $1M at UNC???

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2024, 11:42:34 AM »
Just saw Jimmy Butler jerseys advertised through Marquette NIL store. Does he get a portion of the sales?

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2024, 11:44:40 AM »

The kind of violation that the NCAA doesn't seem to care too much about.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2024, 07:28:50 AM »

Interesting article in the Journal Sentinel today with Bart Lundy referencing the big time schools paying more than any pro league minus the NBA and Euro.   

The %'s the NIL agents are taking is ridiculous, but it keeps funders from screwing over kids as you suggest.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2024, 07:58:40 AM »
The kind of violation that the NCAA doesn't seem to care too much about.

They do, but its become unenforceable because the schools run to the courts. It's all just a shell game now, and that's fine I guess. No one is really getting harmed here.

Like Nebraska's new AD said, eventually the schools will be paying the players directly. It's inevitable.

I would suggest the NCAA *didn't* like NIL become the wild west. It's the schools. The NCAA knows it realistically can't manage NIL, which is why they went to Congress. But that isn't going anywhere.

And yes there is something that would prevent a collective from offering and then not paying. A contract.   
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2024, 09:55:16 AM »
Interesting article in the Journal Sentinel today with Bart Lundy referencing the big time schools paying more than any pro league minus the NBA and Euro.   

This would make sense as to why G League Ignite shut down.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2024, 07:56:36 AM »
NIL collectives are starting to be denied tax-exempt status by the IRS.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2024/irs-letter-nil-collectives-tax-exempt-status-1234774152/

This doesn't mean that the collectives are illegal or anything like that, but individuals cannot get a tax deduction for making a "charitable gift" to the organization.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2024, 09:20:11 AM »
NIL collectives are starting to be denied tax-exempt status by the IRS.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2024/irs-letter-nil-collectives-tax-exempt-status-1234774152/

This doesn't mean that the collectives are illegal or anything like that, but individuals cannot get a tax deduction for making a "charitable gift" to the organization.

Universities will navigate around this.

You'll see new NIL collectives popping up, that have a different strategy. Likely, they will ensure that over 50% of their revenue goes to "charitable causes," likely a significant amount being earmarked for University initiatives, e.g. scholarships for disadvantaged students (a funding priority given changes in the US-News rankings), and research funding. The universities will essentially be diverting some funds that would go directly to them, through the collectives. The rest of the money will go to the athletes.

Illegal, yes, but not going to be enforced, just like the rest is not being enforced.

If the above is set up, you cannot block tax exempt status. I'm not sure, blocking the current iterations iterations from obtaining tax-exempt status is legal, and wouldn't be surprised to see lawsuits.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
My guess is that eventually the collectives will go away all together. They will be folded into the schools they sponsor and the schools will manage the process more directly. The NCAA is looking at legislation that will allow schools to be more hands-on with NIL (reflecting the reality that already exists) so there will eventually be no need for a third party here.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2024, 12:40:25 PM »
Sounds to me like it’s a collective crapshoot, aina?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2024, 10:13:40 PM »
My guess is that eventually the collectives will go away all together. They will be folded into the schools they sponsor and the schools will manage the process more directly. The NCAA is looking at legislation that will allow schools to be more hands-on with NIL (reflecting the reality that already exists) so there will eventually be no need for a third party here.

You are most likely correct on this.