Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka has lost this team.  (Read 8602 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Shaka has lost this team.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2024, 10:58:22 AM »
I agree...and think all of the theories surrounding that their may be chemistry issues on the team is fiction.  The guys are playing really hard, sharing the ball, but it is incredibly disheartening and frustrating when you don't see the ball go in the basket with the frequency or even close to the expected frequency.

Agreed.

The first half was really good basketball on both ends of the court. Just didn't make outside, wide open shots. If they do, it's a 20+ point halftime lead and the rest of the game is likely a walk

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2024, 10:59:03 AM »
My only point on the topic is different teams to be handled differently. Not saying a change in culture, but this group is year three of Shaka and how messaging is done with a young team vs. an experienced team does matter, imo. I am talking in general here, not specific to Shaka and this team. My guess is getting them ready for battle looks different than last year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2024, 11:05:27 AM »
Agreed.

The first half was really good basketball on both ends of the court. Just didn't make outside, wide open shots. If they do, it's a 20+ point halftime lead and the rest of the game is likely a walk

This is a fact for sure.  I still don't know why we seemed to crack psychologically in that 2nd half stretch. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »
Disagree with lack of motivation.

They are working very hard ... to hard. They are relaxed in practice and the shots go in. The lights go on, their individual pressure to excel builds and 3's stop dropping. So, as expected, being highly motivated they focus on more reliable ways to win, that is tough defense and shooting 2's. This holds together for awhile then pressure builds again as they are winning but not up to their individual expectations. The second half arrives and the steam boiler blows off as Butler hangs around and then goes ahead.

They lost this game because they lost confidence in their ability. It is contagious and it is getting worse. It is not the teams motivation and it is not their skill. They need to stay focused while being more relaxed, being more confident and believing in themselves. That is the point of being in the moment and aggressive. Play to win, not to avoid missing a shot. Always believe in whatever adversity comes your way you have the determination, skill and most importantly courage/confidence that you need to succeed.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2024, 11:21:28 AM »

They are working very hard ... to hard. They are relaxed in practice and the shots go in. The lights go on, their individual pressure to excel builds and 3's stop dropping. So, as expected, being highly motivated they focus on more reliable ways to win, that is tough defense and shooting 2's. This holds together for awhile then pressure builds again as they are winning but not up to their individual expectations. The second half arrives and the steam boiler blows off as Butler hangs around and then goes ahead.

They lost this game because they lost confidence in their ability. It is contagious and it is getting worse. It is not the teams motivation and it is not their skill. They need to stay focused while being more relaxed, being more confident and believing in themselves. That is the point of being in the moment and aggressive. Play to win, not to avoid missing a shot. Always believe in whatever adversity comes your way you have the determination, skill and most importantly courage/confidence that you need to succeed.

Agree. In short, they need to play more relaxed and "have fun" if you will. Easier said than done.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2024, 11:27:21 AM »

Good analysis.  I'll add that I feel it might be beneficial for the guys to actually get away from The Al (lock it up and lock them out) for a few days - like until Sunday.  I sense there is an element of fatigue/burnout for the guys at the moment.  There is SO much basketball during the semester break with no class interruptions, that its possible it has been too much.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 11:31:46 AM »
Bottle has been tipped over. Where is Brent
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »
As long as no players write letters to Shaka, they are still good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
Great stuff from Shaka as usual.  He hasn't lost the team.  His insights are right on target, with the right perspective.

I actually was a little disappointed in it. Trotted out all of his cliches ... which are kinda fun when you're winning but sound tired when you're getting your butt kicked.

Also, I admit that maybe I'm reading a little too much between the lines, but it sounded like Kolek in particular and the team in general might have some issues with each other.

However, I don't think Shaka has "lost the team," and I do trust that Shaka and the team's leadership core (which obviously includes Kolek) will handle whatever those issues might be (if indeed there are any).

Interesting times. When adversity strikes, there are 2 ways to go: Battle, get stronger and prevail; or give in and decline. I expect - and sure hope for - the former.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2024, 12:02:57 PM »
There are a few instances this year of visible on court friction between Tko and Jop.  I had hoped it was just about accountability and that Tko was being the team leader that he should be and that Jop is going to figure out how to find his spots.  I'd like to see a chart of Tko's assists... to whom are they... and to see if there's a difference in the quantity of his assists to Jop vs. Kam, for example, because they would have almost equal playing time together.

Shaka has not lost this team.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2024, 01:00:16 PM »
My only point on the topic is different teams to be handled differently. Not saying a change in culture, but this group is year three of Shaka and how messaging is done with a young team vs. an experienced team does matter, imo. I am talking in general here, not specific to Shaka and this team. My guess is getting them ready for battle looks different than last year.

Good point, Goose. Tying it in to MU82’s point about cliché, watching that show from the Harley Museum, I at first agreed a bit with the notion, then caught myself really quickly. I have to believe that while Shaka is not lying to the fans about anything, he may be holding some cards close to the vest about how he’s going about that messaging you discuss, and rightly so. Good coaches know how to reach disparate personalities and Shaka is a really good coach.
   My other take from that Harley show was that goddamn does Stevie ever care about this program and his teammates! I would’ve loved to see Tyler Kolek tell Stevie to stay home and say, “I got you, bro. I didn’t show up last game, you fought hardest till the very end, and you’ve been a constant”. Lo and Behold, however, there was the ever dependable Stew with the heart of a lion putting his face and valor out there in front of what had to be at least some disappointed fans. Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 10:24:49 AM »
   Good point, Goose. Tying it in to MU82’s point about cliché, watching that show from the Harley Museum, I at first agreed a bit with the notion, then caught myself really quickly. I have to believe that while Shaka is not lying to the fans about anything, he may be holding some cards close to the vest about how he’s going about that messaging you discuss, and rightly so. Good coaches know how to reach disparate personalities and Shaka is a really good coach.
   My other take from that Harley show was that goddamn does Stevie ever care about this program and his teammates! I would’ve loved to see Tyler Kolek tell Stevie to stay home and say, “I got you, bro. I didn’t show up last game, you fought hardest till the very end, and you’ve been a constant”. Lo and Behold, however, there was the ever dependable Stew with the heart of a lion putting his face and valor out there in front of what had to be at least some disappointed fans. Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.
What? Are you on the payroll?
“Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.”

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2024, 12:01:44 PM »
Butler was a bad loss, but I think this thread is overblown.  Shaka hasn't lost this team.  Put in perspective, Kam and TKO went 1-17 for threes, many wide open.  If they go 4-17, still a crappy %, we win.  Let's put that game behind us and move forward, still lots of Big East season left.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2024, 12:47:43 PM »
Viper. What? Do you have info not available to the rest of us?

My point was that leaders face the music and Tyler could’ve taken responsibility for the loss and told Stevie not to worry about showing up at the day-after event.  He failed to do so or coaches wanted to protect him. It’s that simple. How is that being on the payroll? Ok, maybe I could’ve done without the “gym rat” comment.

Either way, Stevie’s value cannot be understated. Not even talking on-court stats.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2024, 12:53:15 PM »
FYI

TK was the guest after the UW game. I think everyone is on one time season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2024, 01:06:47 PM »
FYI

Tre up next

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2024, 01:25:40 PM »
Butler was a bad loss, but I think this thread is overblown.  Shaka hasn't lost this team.  Put in perspective, Kam and TKO went 1-17 for threes, many wide open.  If they go 4-17, still a crappy %, we win.  Let's put that game behind us and move forward, still lots of Big East season left.

Mostly agree with you, but I do not like post game comments starting with the word "If". Didn't happen. Have to deal with did happen. Our opponents' fans can play the same game.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2024, 02:31:13 PM »
Viper. What? Do you have info not available to the rest of us?

My point was that leaders face the music and Tyler could’ve taken responsibility for the loss and told Stevie not to worry about showing up at the day-after event.  He failed to do so or coaches wanted to protect him. It’s that simple. How is that being on the payroll? Ok, maybe I could’ve done without the “gym rat” comment.

Either way, Stevie’s value cannot be understated. Not even talking on-court stats.
I feel like your post is mostly speculative. And my comment was in reference to what I interpret you saying as TK protective. Hence, my ‘you on the payroll comment’.
btw, do I think TK is embarrassed by his game vs Butler? Nope. Angry? Sure.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2024, 06:06:54 PM »
FYI

Thanks, Goose. First time I caught that show. Didn’t realize it features a new player each time it runs. 

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2024, 06:07:56 PM »
Viper. It’s all good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2024, 07:01:04 PM »
I just saw a report that Shaka has found this team.

The players had been kidnapped and replaced with imposters, but Shaka got a tip and found them alive and well in a cabin in the woods.

Phew! The season is saved!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2024, 07:14:43 PM »

The players had been kidnapped and replaced with imposters, but Shaka got a tip and found them alive and well in a cabin in the woods.

Cant believe you until tomorrow.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2024, 07:15:20 PM »

Damn Monstars at it again
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2024, 09:01:51 PM »

Hope you are right 82!  Tomorrow will be interesting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2024, 07:30:29 AM »
I do not think Shaka has lost the team. The team is very close knit, so when injuries happen to Ross and Jones during games it has a negative emotional effect on the whole team.

feedback