'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka has lost this team.  (Read 8594 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Shaka has lost this team.
« on: January 10, 2024, 11:04:50 PM »
Can’t motivate them.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Shaka has lost this team.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 11:07:12 PM »
Can’t motivate them.

You in the film room with Herm?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 11:18:17 PM »
He either won’t tell us what the problem is, or he doesn’t know.

CountryRoads

• All American

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 11:31:55 PM »
Why are they always uploading in 360p. Is this 2008?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 11:33:45 PM »
First time I felt Shaka was beaten down coach from that performance.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 11:35:19 PM »
New candidate for dumbest phucking thread posted on this site.
VIOLENCE!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 11:36:16 PM »
Press Conference:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9jI2kFBFZQI&list=PLzqRtxGmacTdwekhBMqX6gnvg0QRxnDfQ&index=1&pp=iAQB

Great stuff from Shaka as usual.  He hasn't lost the team.  His insights are right on target, with the right perspective. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 11:37:37 PM »
The way he answered the question about Tyler was interesting.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 11:38:29 PM »

Is this a VBMG burner?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 11:40:19 PM »
The way he answered the question about Tyler was interesting.

In what sense?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 11:46:04 PM »
In what sense?

Seemed to really try and measure his words at the beginning. Started to say something about how things aren't going to be made easy for him, before pivoting to talk about the assists he had and could have had.

Reading between the lines, and I could be wrong, but it struck me like he sees some entitlement there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:47:49 PM by MUfan12 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 11:50:16 PM »
Why are they always uploading in 360p. Is this 2008?

Hah.   Need to get a new iPhone I guess, lol.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 12:16:49 AM »
Don’t think Shaka lost this team.  The last couple of games, the team was not lost in the the fight .  They lost their fight.   And that’s the difference.   They have to find themselves again and trust each other and have each others back.  There was little energy, smiles, egb at all tonight or vs SH.   

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 02:22:59 AM »
do I get a prize ?  Maybe you can send me one of your participation trophies?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2024, 06:54:10 AM »
yet, you responded.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 07:17:49 AM »
Lmaoooo
No Finish Line

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2024, 09:11:30 AM »
He either won’t tell us what the problem is, or he doesn’t know.

Really? Did you watch the game? I saw the problem real clearly, dismal shooting. You cannot win if you can't score.

5-31 from the 3. Kolek 1-13???? At home. Absolutely brutal.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 09:21:46 AM »
Losing the game is one thing.......losing a player with so much heart hurts a lot more
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 09:22:51 AM »
As has been alluded to by many other posters, there seems to be something else under the surface that is contributing to our slide.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:36 AM »
As has been alluded to by many other posters, there seems to be something else under the surface that is contributing to our slide.

I could obviously be wrong but this doesn't make much sense to me.  The biggest issue has been making shots.  I'm not seeing selfishness.  I'm not seeing lack of effort on defense.  So how is something "under the surface" causing Kam to go ice cold, for example?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 10:09:55 AM »
Can’t motivate them.
motivate them how? To make shots? Team is what they are. Can be really good! Can be really bad. Shaka might need to adjust his recruiting philosophy. Go for a transfer. But I don’t see an issue with the team not being motivated to win games.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 10:12:45 AM »

I agree. I love Shaka, and this is where the proverbial rubber meets the road. I love the messaging, I love the culture, now we see how adversity and challenge, and maybe even some tough love, are accepted and built upon. I think Shaka has substance, as do the players, so I’m hopeful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 10:25:17 AM »
I could obviously be wrong but this doesn't make much sense to me.  The biggest issue has been making shots.  I'm not seeing selfishness.  I'm not seeing lack of effort on defense.  So how is something "under the surface" causing Kam to go ice cold, for example?

I agree...and think all of the theories surrounding that their may be chemistry issues on the team is fiction.  The guys are playing really hard, sharing the ball, but it is incredibly disheartening and frustrating when you don't see the ball go in the basket with the frequency or even close to the expected frequency.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2024, 10:48:18 AM »
Just watched his presser, two things really stood out to me. Adversity is an opportunity, truth. And, they need to be honest about what happened, biggest truth. Sometimes we self-deceive, and it leads to a lot of issues. I think Shaka is spot on, and he and the players will be totally honest, take responsibility, trust, and improve.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2024, 10:58:22 AM »
I agree...and think all of the theories surrounding that their may be chemistry issues on the team is fiction.  The guys are playing really hard, sharing the ball, but it is incredibly disheartening and frustrating when you don't see the ball go in the basket with the frequency or even close to the expected frequency.

Agreed.

The first half was really good basketball on both ends of the court. Just didn't make outside, wide open shots. If they do, it's a 20+ point halftime lead and the rest of the game is likely a walk

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2024, 10:59:03 AM »
My only point on the topic is different teams to be handled differently. Not saying a change in culture, but this group is year three of Shaka and how messaging is done with a young team vs. an experienced team does matter, imo. I am talking in general here, not specific to Shaka and this team. My guess is getting them ready for battle looks different than last year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2024, 11:05:27 AM »
Agreed.

The first half was really good basketball on both ends of the court. Just didn't make outside, wide open shots. If they do, it's a 20+ point halftime lead and the rest of the game is likely a walk

This is a fact for sure.  I still don't know why we seemed to crack psychologically in that 2nd half stretch. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »
Disagree with lack of motivation.

They are working very hard ... to hard. They are relaxed in practice and the shots go in. The lights go on, their individual pressure to excel builds and 3's stop dropping. So, as expected, being highly motivated they focus on more reliable ways to win, that is tough defense and shooting 2's. This holds together for awhile then pressure builds again as they are winning but not up to their individual expectations. The second half arrives and the steam boiler blows off as Butler hangs around and then goes ahead.

They lost this game because they lost confidence in their ability. It is contagious and it is getting worse. It is not the teams motivation and it is not their skill. They need to stay focused while being more relaxed, being more confident and believing in themselves. That is the point of being in the moment and aggressive. Play to win, not to avoid missing a shot. Always believe in whatever adversity comes your way you have the determination, skill and most importantly courage/confidence that you need to succeed.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2024, 11:21:28 AM »

They are working very hard ... to hard. They are relaxed in practice and the shots go in. The lights go on, their individual pressure to excel builds and 3's stop dropping. So, as expected, being highly motivated they focus on more reliable ways to win, that is tough defense and shooting 2's. This holds together for awhile then pressure builds again as they are winning but not up to their individual expectations. The second half arrives and the steam boiler blows off as Butler hangs around and then goes ahead.

They lost this game because they lost confidence in their ability. It is contagious and it is getting worse. It is not the teams motivation and it is not their skill. They need to stay focused while being more relaxed, being more confident and believing in themselves. That is the point of being in the moment and aggressive. Play to win, not to avoid missing a shot. Always believe in whatever adversity comes your way you have the determination, skill and most importantly courage/confidence that you need to succeed.

Agree. In short, they need to play more relaxed and "have fun" if you will. Easier said than done.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2024, 11:27:21 AM »

Good analysis.  I'll add that I feel it might be beneficial for the guys to actually get away from The Al (lock it up and lock them out) for a few days - like until Sunday.  I sense there is an element of fatigue/burnout for the guys at the moment.  There is SO much basketball during the semester break with no class interruptions, that its possible it has been too much.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2024, 11:31:46 AM »
Bottle has been tipped over. Where is Brent
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2024, 11:58:21 AM »
As long as no players write letters to Shaka, they are still good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
Great stuff from Shaka as usual.  He hasn't lost the team.  His insights are right on target, with the right perspective.

I actually was a little disappointed in it. Trotted out all of his cliches ... which are kinda fun when you're winning but sound tired when you're getting your butt kicked.

Also, I admit that maybe I'm reading a little too much between the lines, but it sounded like Kolek in particular and the team in general might have some issues with each other.

However, I don't think Shaka has "lost the team," and I do trust that Shaka and the team's leadership core (which obviously includes Kolek) will handle whatever those issues might be (if indeed there are any).

Interesting times. When adversity strikes, there are 2 ways to go: Battle, get stronger and prevail; or give in and decline. I expect - and sure hope for - the former.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2024, 12:02:57 PM »
There are a few instances this year of visible on court friction between Tko and Jop.  I had hoped it was just about accountability and that Tko was being the team leader that he should be and that Jop is going to figure out how to find his spots.  I'd like to see a chart of Tko's assists... to whom are they... and to see if there's a difference in the quantity of his assists to Jop vs. Kam, for example, because they would have almost equal playing time together.

Shaka has not lost this team.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2024, 01:00:16 PM »
My only point on the topic is different teams to be handled differently. Not saying a change in culture, but this group is year three of Shaka and how messaging is done with a young team vs. an experienced team does matter, imo. I am talking in general here, not specific to Shaka and this team. My guess is getting them ready for battle looks different than last year.

Good point, Goose. Tying it in to MU82’s point about cliché, watching that show from the Harley Museum, I at first agreed a bit with the notion, then caught myself really quickly. I have to believe that while Shaka is not lying to the fans about anything, he may be holding some cards close to the vest about how he’s going about that messaging you discuss, and rightly so. Good coaches know how to reach disparate personalities and Shaka is a really good coach.
   My other take from that Harley show was that goddamn does Stevie ever care about this program and his teammates! I would’ve loved to see Tyler Kolek tell Stevie to stay home and say, “I got you, bro. I didn’t show up last game, you fought hardest till the very end, and you’ve been a constant”. Lo and Behold, however, there was the ever dependable Stew with the heart of a lion putting his face and valor out there in front of what had to be at least some disappointed fans. Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024, 10:24:49 AM »
   Good point, Goose. Tying it in to MU82’s point about cliché, watching that show from the Harley Museum, I at first agreed a bit with the notion, then caught myself really quickly. I have to believe that while Shaka is not lying to the fans about anything, he may be holding some cards close to the vest about how he’s going about that messaging you discuss, and rightly so. Good coaches know how to reach disparate personalities and Shaka is a really good coach.
   My other take from that Harley show was that goddamn does Stevie ever care about this program and his teammates! I would’ve loved to see Tyler Kolek tell Stevie to stay home and say, “I got you, bro. I didn’t show up last game, you fought hardest till the very end, and you’ve been a constant”. Lo and Behold, however, there was the ever dependable Stew with the heart of a lion putting his face and valor out there in front of what had to be at least some disappointed fans. Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.
What? Are you on the payroll?
“Stevie’s appearance may have been at the behest of protective coaches, though, knowing Tyler might be a bit embarrassed. Plus, knowing the gym rat TKO is, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was putting in even more gym time that evening. Tyler I think is one of those competitors that is so fiery and demanding of himself that he loses sight a bit of how to lead and how it rubs off on the team when things go bad. He will figure it out.”

Scooter22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2024, 12:01:44 PM »
Butler was a bad loss, but I think this thread is overblown.  Shaka hasn't lost this team.  Put in perspective, Kam and TKO went 1-17 for threes, many wide open.  If they go 4-17, still a crappy %, we win.  Let's put that game behind us and move forward, still lots of Big East season left.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2024, 12:47:43 PM »
Viper. What? Do you have info not available to the rest of us?

My point was that leaders face the music and Tyler could’ve taken responsibility for the loss and told Stevie not to worry about showing up at the day-after event.  He failed to do so or coaches wanted to protect him. It’s that simple. How is that being on the payroll? Ok, maybe I could’ve done without the “gym rat” comment.

Either way, Stevie’s value cannot be understated. Not even talking on-court stats.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2024, 12:53:15 PM »
FYI

TK was the guest after the UW game. I think everyone is on one time season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2024, 01:06:47 PM »
FYI

Tre up next

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2024, 01:25:40 PM »
Butler was a bad loss, but I think this thread is overblown.  Shaka hasn't lost this team.  Put in perspective, Kam and TKO went 1-17 for threes, many wide open.  If they go 4-17, still a crappy %, we win.  Let's put that game behind us and move forward, still lots of Big East season left.

Mostly agree with you, but I do not like post game comments starting with the word "If". Didn't happen. Have to deal with did happen. Our opponents' fans can play the same game.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2024, 02:31:13 PM »
Viper. What? Do you have info not available to the rest of us?

My point was that leaders face the music and Tyler could’ve taken responsibility for the loss and told Stevie not to worry about showing up at the day-after event.  He failed to do so or coaches wanted to protect him. It’s that simple. How is that being on the payroll? Ok, maybe I could’ve done without the “gym rat” comment.

Either way, Stevie’s value cannot be understated. Not even talking on-court stats.
I feel like your post is mostly speculative. And my comment was in reference to what I interpret you saying as TK protective. Hence, my ‘you on the payroll comment’.
btw, do I think TK is embarrassed by his game vs Butler? Nope. Angry? Sure.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2024, 06:06:54 PM »
FYI

Thanks, Goose. First time I caught that show. Didn’t realize it features a new player each time it runs. 

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2024, 06:07:56 PM »
Viper. It’s all good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2024, 07:01:04 PM »
I just saw a report that Shaka has found this team.

The players had been kidnapped and replaced with imposters, but Shaka got a tip and found them alive and well in a cabin in the woods.

Phew! The season is saved!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2024, 07:14:43 PM »

The players had been kidnapped and replaced with imposters, but Shaka got a tip and found them alive and well in a cabin in the woods.

Cant believe you until tomorrow.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2024, 07:15:20 PM »

Damn Monstars at it again
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2024, 09:01:51 PM »

Hope you are right 82!  Tomorrow will be interesting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2024, 07:30:29 AM »
I do not think Shaka has lost the team. The team is very close knit, so when injuries happen to Ross and Jones during games it has a negative emotional effect on the whole team.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2024, 07:44:47 AM »
I do not think Shaka has lost the team. The team is very close knit, so when injuries happen to Ross and Jones during games it has a negative emotional effect on the whole team.

That doesn’t explain the sporadically poor play prior to those injuries but point well taken.  Serious injuries to major contributors can be dispiriting to a team as a whole.  Nagging injuries to players who play through them can also make great players look pedestrian. 

Next man up philosophy on the major injuries and hopefully the minor ones heal quickly.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2024, 08:13:33 AM »
Bottle has been tipped over. Where is Brent

Funny to see this. I was just thinking yesterday that perhaps Shaka should dig up the Buzz bottle tipped over lecture and show the team.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2024, 08:30:10 PM »
Incredible coaching effort by Shaka to reel off 8 straight Big East victories immediately after losing the team. He should win National Coach of the Year again.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2024, 08:38:24 PM »
Has to be between Hurley and Shaka.

To the Saturday winner go the spoils?

Honorable Mention to Shaheen and Sean Miller imo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2024, 08:39:18 PM »

Fox Studio says Shaheen hands down right now

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2024, 08:43:52 PM »
Love the thread theme.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2024, 08:50:17 PM »
Fox Studio says Shaheen hands down right now

Donyell Marshall- I think that was him- also said that Butler is the biggest darkhorse outside of the big challengers to win the BET….

Nah

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2024, 08:53:05 PM »
Donyell Marshall- I think that was him- also said that Butler is the biggest darkhorse outside of the big challengers to win the BET….

Nah

I mean, they would be a dark horse. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2024, 08:54:16 PM »

Nah

It was Lavalle Jordan. I seem to remember Marshall casually talking up Hurley- shocker. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2024, 09:00:46 PM »
It was Lavalle Jordan. I seem to remember Marshall casually talking up Hurley- shocker.

Shaheen shouldn’t be in conversation. He could easily lose 5 of his last 7. 

The only rationale was he was picked 9th and is currently sitting in 4th.

Hurley and Shaka should both be ahead of him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2024, 09:04:48 PM »

We were the higher ranked team at the start of the season. We were picked by the coaches to win the title. UCONN was picked 2nd. If they win, Hurley gets the hardware.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2024, 09:06:28 PM »

Shaheen shouldn’t be in conversation. He could easily lose 5 of his last 7. 

The only rationale was he was picked 9th and is currently sitting in 4th.

Hurley and Shaka should both be ahead of him.

That was Jordan’s rationale except he said they were third.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2024, 09:11:15 PM »
We were the higher ranked team at the start of the season. We were picked by the coaches to win the title. UCONN was picked 2nd. If they win, Hurley gets the hardware.

I tend to agree with this but also because there is a good chance UConn sets the record for most wins in the Big East regular season or at least ties MU from last year.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2024, 09:11:39 PM »
I mean, they would be a dark horse.

Sure, but I’d pick pretty much every other one before them.

I’ll list them
StJ
Nova
SH
X
Providence

Butler would slot in after those other dark horses for me. They’ve got a lot of grit, but seem to be punching way above their weight because of it. Seems like bubble should burst but we will see what Thad’s squad has

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2024, 09:13:16 PM »
That was Jordan’s rationale except he said they were third.

At the time he was correct, they were tied with Creighton for 3rd but Creighton is currently demolishing Georgetown so they are 4th.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2024, 10:44:47 PM »
Just think how well we’ll do when Shaka finds the team!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2024, 08:00:11 AM »
At the time he was correct, they were tied with Creighton for 3rd but Creighton is currently demolishing Georgetown so they are 4th.

The Big East standings are so tight in the middle that any prediction for awards premised on current standing is a questionable. When the one guy mentioned Holloway as BECOY because they were picked 9th and are currently 3rd (now 4th), my immediate thought was, "wait a couple weeks before making a prediction on that because they're only two games above 9th" (now 2.5 games). A loss to X tonight would drop them into a tie for 4th with a very desperate SJU next on the schedule. The league is so bunched up, any of those teams in the middle are potentially just a week or two away from being in 9th.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2024, 08:19:55 AM »
Seton Hall might have trouble winning 11 league games. Depaul is the only sure win left on their schedule, with this Xavier home game and Butler later their 2 best chances to get there, and Im not sure they can.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2024, 08:23:06 AM »
Why are we assuming the "coach of the year" should go to the coach of the team that exceeded pre-season expectations?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2024, 08:45:26 AM »
Why are we assuming the "coach of the year" should go to the coach of the team that exceeded pre-season expectations?

I don't think "we" are. I was commenting on what one of the studio guys said last night and "he" was; it was the only thing he cited in support of his contention that Holloway is the favorite for BECOY (which I think it ridiculous).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2024, 08:47:12 AM »
That's fair.

But I can see a case for both Hurley and Shaka depending on how the season turns out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2024, 08:50:59 AM »
That's fair.

But I can see a case for both Hurley and Shaka depending on how the season turns out.

Agreed. If I were voting today, I'd probably give it to Hurley. But there's a lot of basketball to be played and it would be stupid to vote before we see how that plays out. But it's even more stupid -- in my opinion -- to base it on standings versus predicted standings when there are seven teams within 2.5 games of each other.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2024, 10:35:48 AM »
I think Hurley is the clear leader at the moment. But we got 7 games left,  lots a basketball to be played. If one of the lower teams suddenly goes 6-1 down the stretch they could make a case
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2024, 10:47:30 AM »

Nah
Donny Marshall.  Donyell Marshall is a different guy, though they played at UConn at the same time.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2024, 11:17:07 AM »
That's fair.

I think whichever of those two gets the 1-seed deserves it. No one else has stood out enough vs expectations like Shaka did last year to take it. Getting a team picked 8th-11th to the bubble isn't COY stuff.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2024, 11:19:24 AM »
Donny Marshall.  Donyell Marshall is a different guy, though they played at UConn at the same time.

Donyell was the player Paxson refused to trade so the Bulls could move up to draft Wade.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2024, 01:24:06 PM »
We aren’t…..

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2024, 03:44:33 PM »
Right now I'd vote Hurley.  If they run away with the league, I'd vote Hurley.  If MU and UCONN split, and Xavier somehow finds its way into the Tourney, I might go Miller.  Losing 2 starters for the season before you tip off for game 1 and still making the Tournament, especially when you lost 4 of your 5 top scorers from last year as well, would be impressive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2024, 07:54:26 PM »
Donyell was the player Paxson refused to trade so the Bulls could move up to draft Wade.

Thanks for bringing up those fond memories…