[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Notre Dame SOTG  (Read 4716 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Notre Dame SOTG
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2023, 09:37:12 AM »
Right, best player must mean he’s also the best each individual game.

Of course he could be the best any given night, especially when we win.

But you’re just arguing to be arguing which you’re famous for. I’ll remember never to encourage a little debate again in this thread.  Although I seldom comment in it.

Yay! I won!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2023, 10:09:16 AM »
Oso might be the best defender on the team. Being able to have a big who can bang with guys like Bona and Dickinson and then switch onto guards like Burton and not get beat off the dribble, while also pressuring the ball up high and pushing him out far enough to make an entry pass into the mismatched guard is incredibly impressive. Stevie and to some extent Chase and Sean can lock down perimeter guys. But we’re able to switch everything because Oso can guard any perimeter player and keep them from making an entry pass most times. He did it a lot yesterday against a very quick lead guard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
I’d vote Oso simply because he was aggressive on offense out of the gates. I think that changes the complexion of our offense for everyone and, when we don’t play well, it is always a game where Oso is passive. Basically, Oso gets the nod because he needs to apply that pressure to the opposing defense every night for us to be our best. It also happened to align with a 17-0 run to start the game and make this one a laugher out of the gates.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2023, 10:30:12 AM »
Notre Dame went on a 10-2 run to cut the lead to 20. Tyler was the first one sent to the scorer's table. When he came back in with the starters, he immediately scored twice, grabbed a couple boards, and set up the Oso dunk. Before the stretch SOTG might've been in question, but that was the "don't even think about it" moment where Tyler showed why he is who he is.

Kam and Oso were just as good during that stretch.  Oso was especially impactful on defense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2023, 10:43:36 AM »
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more obvious Oso is the choice for this one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2023, 11:01:03 AM »
We had very good seats last night and to watch Kolek up close made me appreciate him even more. In a 45 second stretch he had a defensive rebound, made a three and had a beautiful assist to Oso and looked like he was playing at half speed. I had doubts about playing in the NBA and they are getting smaller every game.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2023, 11:02:06 AM »
This game was put away because our D. Oso was one of our best defensive players last night and scored.

Oso.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2023, 11:13:03 AM »
We had very good seats last night and to watch Kolek up close made me appreciate him even more. In a 45 second stretch he had a defensive rebound, made a three and had a beautiful assist to Oso and looked like he was playing at half speed. I had doubts about playing in the NBA and they are getting smaller every game.

I was also in better seats than normal and Kolek didn’t even look like he was breathing hard.  The game is very slow to him and it looks effortless.

Meanwhile, the second line played rushed, resulting in being a half-second off in most aspects of the game.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2023, 11:42:13 AM »
Rico, you make me laugh so often, I'd love to have a beer with you.

yeah...pass the oxygen
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2023, 12:26:53 PM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
Usually pick Tyler. Again close between Tyler and Oso. Again Oso since he was leading scorer with 20 and Defensively was the best player altering and disrupting. Also Oso since believe Shaka emphasized Oso in talking to Homer. Saying no one could match up against Oso on either end.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2023, 12:16:34 AM »
Oso-mio  8-)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:33 AM »
Nobody. Our block percentage was 0%

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »
Notre Dame went on a 10-2 run to cut the lead to 20. Tyler was the first one sent to the scorer's table. When he came back in with the starters, he immediately scored twice, grabbed a couple boards, and set up the Oso dunk. Before the stretch SOTG might've been in question, but that was the "don't even think about it" moment where Tyler showed why he is who he is.

This.

But people are spoiled here. Tyler is almost always our best player, so if it’s close people want to give it to someone else. The old everyone gets a trophy syndrome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »
This.

But people are spoiled here. Tyler is almost always our best player, so if it’s close people want to give it to someone else. The old everyone gets a trophy syndrome.

Oso was more than "close" to Tyler in this game. He was the major force on both ends of the court in Marquette making it a total blowout. That he also scored more and shot better were bonuses in his favor. Sometimes I think people are spoiled when it comes to what Oso brings; just as we'd be effed without TK, we'd be screwed without Oso.

Although I'd have picked Oso, TK had a nice stat line and he provided a spark during a couple of little MU lulls. So good on rocky for choosing him. But lots of us picking Oso for this one wasn't like when a few folks do the ol' "Gold hit a couple 3s, so let's give it to him."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2023, 09:42:12 AM »
This.

Wish the boomers hadn’t gifted their successors the participation trophies

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2023, 09:43:50 AM »
Oso was more than "close" to Tyler in this game. He was the major force on both ends of the court in Marquette making it a total blowout. That he also scored more and shot better were bonuses in his favor. Sometimes I think people are spoiled when it comes to what Oso brings; just as we'd be effed without TK, we'd be screwed without Oso.

Although I'd have picked Oso, TK had a nice stat line and he provided a spark during a couple of little MU lulls. So good on rocky for choosing him. But lots of us picking Oso for this one wasn't like when a few folks do the ol' "Gold hit a couple 3s, so let's give it to him."

He got to the free throw line more. They both were 6/8 from the field and perfect from the line.

Just to nitpick a bit

Both were elite. ND had no chance anytime they came back into the game after Shakas development lineup of the whole bench plus Jop gave ND life
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »
Wish the boomers hadn’t gifted their successors the participation trophies

Spot on, Rico. One of the few things you guys whine about that has merit.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2023, 10:11:57 AM »
Lenny

Watching Kolek from up close really showed to me how good he really is. Truthfully, he looked like the best player by an extremely margin. Changes the game in so many ways and does not waste an ounce of energy. I sat in the same seats two years ago against UCLA and the improvement is beyond belief.

At the UCLA game the athleticism of Omax was #1 thing to catch my eye. Aside from Kolek, seeing Ross up close really stood out to me. He might end up being very, very good before he is done at MU.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2023, 10:20:25 AM »
Lenny

Watching Kolek from up close really showed to me how good he really is. Truthfully, he looked like the best player by an extremely margin. Changes the game in so many ways and does not waste an ounce of energy. I sat in the same seats two years ago against UCLA and the improvement is beyond belief.

At the UCLA game the athleticism of Omax was #1 thing to catch my eye. Aside from Kolek, seeing Ross up close really stood out to me. He might end up being very, very good before he is done at MU.

The game is so slow for him right now.  I love when he has the ball on the 3-pt line, does a modest shot fake --- then lets defenders fly by him and either step sideways for a three or drive in for a layup. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2023, 10:21:24 AM »

Oso was close. That’s true. And he did score more, by 3 points (20-17).

You claim he shot better. He didn’t. Both were 6-8 from the field. One of Tyler’s was a 3, giving him a slightly better efg%. And at least 2 of Oso’s made shots were dunks off of great passes by you know who - shots that are almost unmissable. Both were perfect from the line, slight edge to Oso because of more attempts.

Rebounds? Not close. Kolek 7, Oso 3. Assists? Nice effort by Oso with 4, almost twice as many for Tyler with 7. Steals? Oso 1, Tyler 2.

Turnovers? Oso 3, Tyler 2.

Defensively, the game was decided early (17-0) when ND couldn’t get a shot off or otherwise turned the ball over. Everyone deserves credit but I’d credit the perimeter players (where the ball usually was) with most of it.

Oso played really well, but every stat other than points says Kolek was better. They agree with what the eye test told me.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2023, 10:30:06 AM »
Frenns

He had a layup in the first half that looked like he was in pregame warmups. I do not think I will ever see another player like Kolek at MU again in my lifetime. IMO, he really is that good. Wade is the greatest player I have ever seen play at MU and I will never see another Wade. I 100% believe that in the post Al era, Kolek is the second-best player by a very wide margin and Wade is the best by a very wide margin.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:32:36 AM by Goose »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2023, 10:39:00 AM »
Spot on, Rico. One of the few things you guys whine about that has merit.

You just whined about it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
Oso was close. That’s true. And he did score more, by 3 points (20-17).

You claim he shot better. He didn’t. Both were 6-8 from the field. One of Tyler’s was a 3, giving him a slightly better efg%. And at least 2 of Oso’s made shots were dunks off of great passes by you know who - shots that are almost unmissable. Both were perfect from the line, slight edge to Oso because of more attempts.

Rebounds? Not close. Kolek 7, Oso 3. Assists? Nice effort by Oso with 4, almost twice as many for Tyler with 7. Steals? Oso 1, Tyler 2.

Turnovers? Oso 3, Tyler 2.

Defensively, the game was decided early (17-0) when ND couldn’t get a shot off or otherwise turned the ball over. Everyone deserves credit but I’d credit the perimeter players (where the ball usually was) with most of it.

Oso played really well, but every stat other than points says Kolek was better. They agree with what the eye test told me.

Though we disagree on who had the bigger impact when the game was decided, your points are fair. And I don't know what I was looking at in the shooting - must have been someone else's line. Thanks for the correction on TK's stats.

It is wonderful that we have a team that's talented enough to have discussions about which star was brighter in a blowout of Notre Dame that took place in front of a sellout crowd!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2023, 10:59:36 AM »
Frenns

He had a layup in the first half that looked like he was in pregame warmups. I do not think I will ever see another player like Kolek at MU again in my lifetime. IMO, he really is that good. Wade is the greatest player I have ever seen play at MU and I will never see another Wade. I 100% believe that in the post Al era, Kolek is the second-best player by a very wide margin and Wade is the best by a very wide margin.

That's rare air, however, I am not sure that I have ever seen a player improve so much at MU year to year. He is shooting twos and threes at elite levels this season versus some tough competition. More so, he is fouled a lot without calls this season on his dribble drives.

Shaka admonished him a bit after the Badger game to do more, and he has responded.