[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebounding Next Season & Beyond  (Read 3904 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Rebounding Next Season & Beyond
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2023, 10:21:39 AM »
The answer is already on the roster. Zaide had 7 rebounds in 14 minutes against Southern University. Shaka just likes Joplin more than he likes Zaide and winning basketball games combined.

??  He's as soft as a pillow.

Fun fact Sultan:  Gold isn't any softer than Oso or Joplin.  Jop has been allergic to rebounding all season, and Oso's rebounding has been mediocre at best.  Gold and Zaide are the only 2 guys on the roster with D Rebounding rates over 20 and and their O-Rebounding rates are 8.8 and 9.4 respectively.  Zaide very likely would be this team's leading rebounder if his minutes increase.

Shaka's loyalty and belief in Jop is getting to the point where Shaka is going to need to see his loyalty and belief in Jop actualized.  I suspect Jop has a little more rope to step up his rebounding and shooting, but if he doesn't turn the corner soon, he'll lose his starting role.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2023, 10:32:16 AM »
Gold is a fine rebounder. He's got to stay on the court though cause he is a fouling machine out there. He also let guys get past him multiple times because he was out of position defensively.  I love the guy's potential offensively but its really hard to keep him out there.

Zaide's rebounding stats are almost entirely built on the Southern game.

I agree that Jop's a problem right now. Unfortunately I don't see many good answers short of hoping he gets better.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2023, 10:39:46 AM »
Shaka has no option but to keep playing Jop at the 4 despite the problems. Gold has to come off the bench to spell both Jop and Oso, and his defensive problems are an issue anyway. Ross is too small to play at the 4 very much and has had his own issues. Zaide is a 3, not a 4. So, what you see is what you get. Every now and then, MU is going to run into a big team that causes them a problem. Shaka simply seems to prefer athleticism to size, which is fine except when it does not work.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2023, 10:41:49 AM »
Shaka has no option but to keep playing Jop at the 4 despite the problems. Gold has to come off the bench to spell both Jop and Oso, and his defensive problems are an issue anyway. Ross is too small to play at the 4 very much and has had his own issues. Zaide is a 3, not a 4. So, what you see is what you get. Every now and then, MU is going to run into a big team that causes them a problem. Shaka simply seems to prefer athleticism to size, which is fine except when it does not work.

I have good news about size and athleticism for the incoming 2024 class.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2023, 10:51:08 AM »
I have good news about size and athleticism for the incoming 2024 class.

That helps, but it's schematic. Guys flying all over, switching, trapping... It's incredibly hard to win rebounding position when you're chasing.

Putbacks stand out because they're immediate second chance points. But frankly the amount of long rebounds we give up is the bigger issue. Guards gotta start chipping in there.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2023, 02:38:59 PM »
When one of our guys is in position to shoot a three nobody anticipates to move to the basket in the shot. I would hope one player would go to contest the rebound if missed

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
Many of us were pleading for Shaka to get a banger in the portal before this season’s start.  Given the unique (30+ yrs) opportunity this team has to do some big things, the blatant rebounding deficiencies and our lack of front court depth, it’s too bad he didn’t listen.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2023, 03:24:04 PM »
Many of us were pleading for Shaka to get a banger in the portal before this season’s start.  Given the unique (30+ yrs) opportunity this team has to do some big things, the blatant rebounding deficiencies and our lack of front court depth, it’s too bad he didn’t listen.

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
I will worry when Shaka STARTS listening to message board experts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
tower

There are definitely a lot of opinions out there after the loss. If I did not make a couple of nice wagers on MU I would be 100% over the loss hours ago. They have played five very tough opponents before St. Nick gets in town and a lot more big games to come.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2023, 03:44:15 PM »
Lots of games to be played.  Biggest thing now is to not let it become a streak.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2023, 04:06:42 PM »
Lots of games to be played.  Biggest thing now is to not let it become a streak.

Big streak in our undapants rn aina
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2023, 07:31:25 AM »
Zaide isn't playing more because he's not there defensively. He's okay against low majors and has held his own against that level, but I just don't think the comfort level is there against high major talent yet. He'll get there, but no need to rush him into something he's not ready for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2023, 08:28:14 AM »
are any of you lawyers that might lend me a hand? Here’s the deal. My bro-in-law uw grad will harpoon me tomorrow. He would today but I blocked his texts. So, if I were to drug him and haul him way out in the woods…I mean way out there, and tie him to a pine tree, do I get in trouble? 🤣

Way, way out into the woods, no; but if you dumped him the middle of Lake Michigan you'll be in more trouble with your sister than the law.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »

Good one-paragraph analysis.

Shaka would have loved to have played Gold more. He hit a couple 3s and he's just a good offensive player. But he fouls too much, and every Wisconsin player he defended just went right past him. So Gold forced Shaka's hand - Shaka simply didn't think he could afford to have Gold on the floor.

Ross has been a mild disappointment so far IMHO.

I also agree with those about knee-jerk reactions to one loss. I'm always pissed when we lose to Madison, but I've got to see a lot more go bad before I actually "worry" about this team. And I think we'll see a TON more things that go good than go bad this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2023, 07:27:59 AM »
the draw in March will be critical. Get a Badger-type team in rd 1 or 2 and it’s probably lights out.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
Watching the UConn UNC game last night - all of Uconn's players crash the boards pretty much every time. Uconn's leading rebounder is their 6ft 5in point guard Tristen Newton. Rebounding is mostly effort and it is something we can fix.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2023, 12:17:48 PM »
Rebounding is mostly effort and it is something we can Shaka won't fix.

FIFY

MUbiz

• Team Captain

feedback