[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebounding Next Season & Beyond  (Read 3878 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Rebounding Next Season & Beyond
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 05:39:44 PM »
but is he Luke Fischer soft?

??  He's as soft as a pillow.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2023, 05:41:14 PM »
He's worse than Henry in that he doesn't even get the easy ones.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2023, 06:04:10 PM »
Well, unless they all head to Europe, this will be the same team next year as there surely were no NBA’rs playing today. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2023, 06:07:01 PM »
Well, unless they all head to Europe, this will be the same team next year as there surely were no NBA’rs playing today.
no all Americans either. Kolek has looked great all year but “all American” maybe once

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2023, 06:11:52 PM »
Such victims of the moment.   Just like OMax last year.    23 regular season games to go.    Oso still got moved into the first round projections after Hawaii.    Everybody breathe.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2023, 06:39:53 PM »
Such victims of the moment.   Just like OMax last year.    23 regular season games to go.    Oso still got moved into the first round projections after Hawaii.    Everybody breathe.

This fanbase is unnatural carnal knowledgeing sad. One tough loss and everyone packs it in. I hope most of you don’t show up in April.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2023, 06:44:03 PM »
This fanbase is unnatural carnal knowledgeing sad. One tough loss and everyone packs it in. I hope most of you don’t show up in April.

Have I got news for you
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2023, 06:46:15 PM »
Indeed.  First sign of trouble and it is wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments and spamming national writers about lack of respect.   MU lost today.   Wisconsin played better.    Alas.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2023, 06:48:18 PM »
Indeed.  First sign of trouble and it is wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments and spamming national writers about lack of respect.   MU lost today.   Wisconsin played better.    Alas.

The softest thing about Marquette is the fanbase

Viper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2023, 07:00:56 PM »
losses will come…no problem. But to RED? Again? And to play as we did against them? Yeah, fan base is depressed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2023, 07:03:29 PM »
I have thought so for years. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2023, 07:42:27 PM »
…yes Dec 2nd. After a mediocre Wisc. Team just handed us our a$$. Oso was awful today, you disagree?

Oso will be fine. And I am not so sure Wisconsin is a "mediocre" team. The line was just about even so Vegas thought otherwise.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2023, 07:48:36 PM »
Serious question-

Why does Shaka not care about rebounding?

We switch alot defensivly because our players will be pros one day and we act like it.

Defensive rebounding is less important than fans think.

Defensive eFG% is the most important defensive stat by far. Then Offensive eFG%, Offensive TO Rate, and Offensive rebound are the next 3 most important factors.

And then it is defensive rebounding and the other 4 factors.

Obviously days like today are outliers, and unacceptable. But other factors are just more important.

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2023, 08:05:58 PM »
We switch alot defensivly because our players will be pros one day and we act like it.

Defensive rebounding is less important than fans think.

Defensive eFG% is the most important defensive stat by far. Then Offensive eFG%, Offensive TO Rate, and Offensive rebound are the next 3 most important factors.

And then it is defensive rebounding and the other 4 factors.

Obviously days like today are outliers, and unacceptable. But other factors are just more important.

I’m not sure you can quantify the emotional toll of constantly getting beat on the defensive glass.

I’m far too lazy to look up the numbers on Shaka Marquette teams but I wonder if someone could dig in on our defensive efficiency numbers from initial possession vs. second possession off of an offensive board on the same trip. I would imagine second possession numbers massively favor the offensive team for multiple reasons.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2023, 08:09:04 PM »
losses will come…no problem. But to RED? Again? And to play as we did against them? Yeah, fan base is depressed.

I get being depressed but the level of asinine commentary on here is next level. We lost a road game to a P6 school. crap happens. We’ve got 3 months left to improve. And we’re 10 days off running the No. 1 team in the country out of the building. People need to get a grip.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2023, 08:10:55 PM »
I’m not sure you can quantify the emotional toll of constantly getting beat on the defensive glass.

I’m far too lazy to look up the numbers on Shaka Marquette teams but I wonder if someone could dig in on our defensive efficiency numbers from initial possession vs. second possession off of an offensive board on the same trip. I would imagine second possession numbers massively favor the offensive team for multiple reasons.

This is just common sense. My point is forcing missed shots is more important than defensive rebounding. And multiple offensive factors are more important than defensive rebounding.

Thats it.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2023, 08:13:49 PM »

Come on. Any fan base that just endured an 11 point loss (and NEVER led) in a rivalry game Is going to be pissed. Add in the uncharacteristic performance from Oso and Tyler, Jop missing more field goals then points scored, the rebound discrepancy people are for sure going to put on some tin foil hats.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »
I get being depressed but the level of asinine commentary on here is next level. We lost a road game to a P6 school. crap happens. We’ve got 3 months left to improve. And we’re 10 days off running the No. 1 team in the country out of the building. People need to get a grip.

Testify.    A tale as old as time.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »
are any of you lawyers that might lend me a hand? Here’s the deal. My bro-in-law uw grad will harpoon me tomorrow. He would today but I blocked his texts. So, if I were to drug him and haul him way out in the woods…I mean way out there, and tie him to a pine tree, do I get in trouble? 🤣

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2023, 08:39:06 PM »
This is just common sense. My point is forcing missed shots is more important than defensive rebounding. And multiple offensive factors are more important than defensive rebounding.

Thats it.

And ignoring rebounding is quite an obvious flaw that will lead to more challenging possessions. I’m not going to look it up, but not everything can be quantified into a pillar of guaranteed success.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2023, 08:55:02 PM »
And ignoring rebounding is quite an obvious flaw that will lead to more challenging possessions. I’m not going to look it up, but not everything can be quantified into a pillar of guaranteed success.

I’m not of the school we dismiss rebounding concerns.  There’s a difference between not prioritizing and simply getting waxed to the point of being non-competitive.

Wisky did this to Virginia as well and should have been a scouting point.  I don’t care how good your defense is.  If the other team gets 18 points off second chances, you’re behind the eight ball.

When you want to generate offense with defense, you can’t get beat that bad on the glass unless the offense is firing on all cylinders. 

Bad combination game but also a poorly coached game, imo.  It happens and all coaches have them.  It’s a problem if it keeps happening

panda

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2023, 08:57:31 PM »
I’m not of the school we dismiss rebounding concerns.  There’s a difference between not prioritizing and simply getting waxed to the point of being non-competitive.

Wisky did this to Virginia as well and should have been a scouting point.  I don’t care how good your defense is.  If the other team gets 18 points off second chances, you’re behind the eight ball.

When you want to generate offense with defense, you can’t get beat that bad on the glass unless the offense is firing on all cylinders. 

Bad combination game but also a poorly coached game, imo.  It happens and all coaches have them.  It’s a problem if it keeps happening

Agree - the rebounding issues today were magnified because of poor play in all facets.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2023, 09:03:57 PM »

It is a flaw. It is the 5th most important of the four factors (which is 8 factors because offense vs defense). I was just answering "Why does Shaka not care about rebounding?".

And you responded second possestions are bad because they lead to made shots. But that isn't really related to what i was saying. You just pointed out how events relate in basketball.

e.g. Offensive made shots lead to set defenses.
Offensive TO's lead to made buckets for opposition.
Offensive rebounds lead to additional points.

Its all related. But that doesn't change how these factors correlate to Winning percentage.

Typically (in correlation it Win percentage) its
1. Defensive eFG%
2. Offensive eFG%
3. Offensive TO%
4. Offensive Rbd%
5. Defenisve Rbd%
6. Defenisve TO%
7. Offensive FTR%
8. Defenisve FTR%

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2023, 09:09:56 PM »
are any of you lawyers that might lend me a hand? Here’s the deal. My bro-in-law uw grad will harpoon me tomorrow. He would today but I blocked his texts. So, if I were to drug him and haul him way out in the woods…I mean way out there, and tie him to a pine tree, do I get in trouble? 🤣

No jury would convict you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2023, 07:53:16 AM »
What's weird is the rebounding was relatively good against Illinois, UCLA, and Kansas.

Opp. Off. Reb% per T Rank

Illinois 30%
UCLA 20%
Kansas 29.4%

All of those numbers are manageable.  But rebounding has been a major issue in both losses.

Opp. Off. Reb% per T Rank
Purdue 41.9%
Wisconsin 48.4%

Those are terrible numbers.  Marquette needs to get back to the rebounding displayed against Illinois, UCLA, and Kansas.