[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: At the tone...  (Read 28249 times)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
Re: At the tone...
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
I really dont buy the small market crap.  The cubs have to compete with a team that is less then 30 miles away!

30 miles????  Are you talking about the Kane County Cougars????

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »
Ummmm Chicago White Sox ring a bell?

Maybe your ivy on the wall at Miller Park can bring you guys the Wrigley atmosphere that apparently people only go to the games for.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:33:04 PM by TallTitan34 »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »

That is more like 9 miles.  Which I guess is less than 30 if you look at it that way.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
30 > 9  correct

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
I really dont buy the small market crap.  The cubs have to compete with a team that is less then 30 miles away!

30 miles????  Are you talking about the Kane County Cougars????

now that's a fun game to go to.. that and the schaumburg flyers... that's a group that plays more for the love of the game than for fame or money per se.  not that they don't get paid but it's hardly a piss in the pool compared to major leagues.. down here in dallas I go to roughrider games.. same league I think.. easy to get to.. not much traffic to deal with after the game.. in the burbs so it's only 25 minutes to get home rather than 75 like the rangers would be.. yeah.. definitely like this big little league :D  don't follow it or anything but it's a fun day at the park - the way baseball should be.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »

Chicago metro area = 9.5 million people
Milwaukee metro area = 1.5 million people

Even assuming that the Cubs share their market equally with the White Sox - something we know isn't quite true - they'd still have a fan base more than three times larger - or about 3.25 million people larger - than that of the Brewers.

Let's not forgot everything south of Joliet is all Cardinal Country. The Brewers have the vast majority of the state at their fingers tips, sans Twin Cities area. The Cubs are dealing with Brewers in the North, Sox below Madision Street, and Cardinals below Peoria.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »

Even assuming that the Cubs share their market equally with the White Sox - something we know isn't quite true - they'd still have a fan base more than three times larger - or about 3.25 million people larger - than that of the Brewers.

Let's not forgot everything south of Joliet is all Cardinal Country. The Brewers have the vast majority of the state at their fingers tips, sans Twin Cities area. The Cubs are dealing with Brewers in the North, Sox below Madision Street, and Cardinals below Peoria.

but this is where the cubs management of old showed genius.. I was somewhat of a cubs fan before I ever lived in chicago or went to marquette.. I spent a lot of years during my childhood in omaha, nebraska.. no major league team there.. closest you get is the kansas city royals.. no thanks.. but I saw MANY cubs games on WGN... genius.. nationwide cable channel that carries most or all of the games.  bring in all those small market places and you get yourself a pretty good following.

while you bring up the brewers having most of the state of wisconsin, I don't think this is completely accurate.  my dad grew up in madison and spent his childhood following the milwaukee braves.. when they picked up and moved, people were pissed off in general and at mlb in particular.. my dad used to tell me stories about how they'd have lawn parties around a radio every game.. as soon as the braves left that all stopped and with a scowl.  when the brewers came in it wasn't well received as a result.. many people from his neighborhood still want nothing to do with the brewers.. quite a few of the ones who stayed fans of mlb switched to the cubs and white sox during the period between the braves and brewers.. uphill climb for the brewers with much of the state even now.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

Maybe your ivy on the wall at Miller Park can bring you guys the Wrigley atmosphere that apparently people only go to the games for.

I sent the Brewers a letter asking to clean that crap off the wall.  They didn't listen.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »

You act like the Brewers don't deal with the same problems.  In fact, you have Cub fans everywhere in the city of Milwaukee, which comes from pre-1970 not having a team so people were forced to watch the Cubs on WGN, and now passed on the Cub fan to their children, and so on down the line. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2