Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sad Trombone  (Read 7283 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Sad Trombone
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
5dollar knows ball?

Enjoy your Saturday, Tower.

March is a long time from now.
We agree today.   You enjoy yours, also.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2023, 02:07:20 PM »
Despite Scoop's resident comedian's snarks, Shaka and Nevada have not beat a gap containment defense while at MU (Miss State, MSU, Badgers (3), Purdue (2)). Yes, that means mid-range has to be a viable option. They struggled at Texas too. Piss poor performance by the coaching staff.

As to shooting, it's a MAJOR concern despite no NBA arc stripes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »
Look, we're not beating good teams going
-15 on the glass and -14 in FTA's.  I don't think we took a FT in the 2H and Whisky only had 2 fouls.  The tenacity and poise were not there today for some reason.  We can all take losing or being outplayed, but what we saw today mostly was that our team wasn't ready to play and our two leaders were essentially invisible.  They hopefully will learn from this one.

You cannot continue to criticize the refs.  MU was overly aggressive on defense today, ie Sean Jones. and Ross.
Rafferty made the comment that when the refs are calling it close and might have used the word ticky tacky, you have to back off little.  MU did not make that adjustment and continued to be aggressive.  Violence, violence, attack, attack.  It bit them in the butt. You can also rewatch the game and see Ben Gold getting beat on the dribble drive to basket and fouling the shooter three times because of his slow feet. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2023, 02:10:13 PM »
Despite Scoop's resident comedian's snarks, Shaka and Nevada have not beat a gap containment defense while at MU (Miss State, MSU, Badgers (3), Purdue (2)). Yes, that means mid-range has to be a viable option. They struggled at Texas too. Piss poor performance by the coaching staff.

Yeah this sums up my thoughts completely.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2023, 02:13:33 PM »
Look, we're not beating good teams going
-15 on the glass and -14 in FTA's.  I don't think we took a FT in the 2H and Whisky only had 2 fouls.  The tenacity and poise were not there today for some reason.  We can all take losing or being outplayed, but what we saw today mostly was that our team wasn't ready to play and our two leaders were essentially invisible.  They hopefully will learn from this one.
How many of the FTA came as the result of a legitimate foul by us 90 feet from the basket trying to rebound over a legal box out by Wisconsin?

Refs were ticky tack but not egregiously bad. We were outplayed and outcoached. Anything other than that as your main takeaway leaves us susceptible to this type of loss again and again in the future.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
How many of the FTA came as the result of a legitimate foul by us 90 feet from the basket trying to rebound over a legal box out by Wisconsin?

Refs were ticky tack but not egregiously bad. We were outplayed and outcoached. Anything other than that as your main takeaway leaves us susceptible to this type of loss again and again in the future.

The refs were pretty bad.  In regards to the list of reasons why Marquette lost the game they're way down the list. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2023, 02:20:59 PM »

UCLA plays that defense. There’s not a single BE team that plays that defense? We beat them all last year.

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2023, 02:21:17 PM »
I'm not well-versed in game mechanics, but man this reminded me a lot of the Michigan State game in the tourney.  Going to need to find ways to beat teams with this play style.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2023, 02:21:36 PM »
Rebounding will always be the rate limiting factor for us if we’re willing to play a half court game against a bigger team like Wisconsin. Marquette is a small team that becomes smaller when it plays soft. Wisconsin bully balled us today in the same manner Michigan State did last year and we didn’t have a response.  There has to be a complete team commitment to rebounding the damn ball, it cannot just be on Oso to do it by himself.

Lastly for this team to meet its goals, Jop needs to figure things out quickly and find some measure of consistency. He simply cannot be a 9 pt, 3 board guy starting at the four when the depth behind him(Gold) is also inconsistent.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »
I support you on here! I'm the one looking after you, apologizing for your poor crack at bring a father. But please, redirect your energy away from these posts and towards your children. They still need you.

You think this dude has had sex? HELL no.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2023, 02:22:45 PM »
Ok we vented. Move on!

Next up!!!!

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2023, 02:27:37 PM »

Xavier plays this same defense and we beat them twice last year

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2023, 02:29:31 PM »
Too many flaws on this team to win 6 in a row come March.

12, I think you (unfortunately) are correct. Our inability to rebound at either end will likely kill us. Playing good D for 30 seconds and then having to do it another 20, and too often another 20 will wear us out. Second chance points killed us today. Shaka underemphasizes rebounds but the only team that can score is the one with the ball.

The other problem is too many 3's from people with little chance of making a reasonable percentage of them - shots like that basically equal a turnover.

I love this team and most nights the're fun to watch, but they don't seem to have the complete package.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
You think this dude has had sex? HELL no.

Not in a very long time, but it evidently happened on a couple of occasions!

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2023, 02:31:43 PM »
Yes. Because it's true. On April 8, the only thing Wisconsin will have over us is multiple angles to watch us cut nets because they'll be doing it from their couch.

Won't get past the 2nd round with rebounding like that...

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2023, 02:31:49 PM »
12, I think you (unfortunately) are correct. Our inability to rebound at either end will likely kill us. Playing good D for 30 seconds and then having to do it another 20, and too often another 20 will wear us out. Second chance points killed us today. Shaka underemphasizes rebounds but the only team that can score is the one with the ball.

The other problem is too many 3's from people with little chance of making a reasonable percentage of them - shots like that basically equal a turnover.

I love this team and most nights the're fun to watch, but they don't seem to have the complete package.

I think the inability to rebound is we mentally check out when the shot goes up or the ball hits the floor. It’s like my son says in soccer, it’s about the second ball. At least box out, at least keep an eye on the ball and your man, at least run someone over to get the ball if you have to

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2023, 02:33:46 PM »
I imagine the chances of this happening are remote but I hope Zaide can develop enough to get more minutes down the stretch this year.  He has the frame, mindset and athleticism to help on the boards. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »
I imagine the chances of this happening are remote but I hope Zaide can develop enough to get more minutes down the stretch this year.  He has the frame, mindset and athleticism to help on the boards.

After the Southern game, many were praising Lowery and Amadou to extremes.  With Ross and Gold in early foul trouble, Joplin in a funk and MU getting destroyed on boards, why didn't they get any minutes??

Tre Norman played like one minute, took an ill advised shot and was yanked never to be seen again.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2023, 02:38:13 PM »
Everyone not named k Jones or gold was 2-18 from behind the arc. That's like 8th grade team bad. Sample size getting larger and % not moving in the right direction.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2023, 02:39:31 PM »

I am surprised he did not get a run, only player that has a nice looking shot

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2023, 02:41:12 PM »
13.  Road games against rivals are difficult   

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »
Watching some of the replays - thought Oso played way too high up on the floor...like the worst thing that could happen was a Crowl 3. I would have traded a couple of those for some more bodies around the basket.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »
Really concerning from Jop - something in his head right now ' hope he gets it sorted soon

??? He’s the same guy he’s always been.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »

Xavier plays this same defense and we beat them twice last year

Miller changed his coaching philosophies in his year off. Higher tempo games on offense and more of a funnel defense versus pack line that he used before.

Last year was Millet's highest tempo team (elite offense, meh defense). X wasn't really playing a gap containment defense (although granted there are tenants to pack line). Tyler was having his way against them mostly last season (even in the 1st half of the X loss).

Whereas Tyler has yet to have a good game against Wisconsin.  Those other teams are putting up the picket fence against MU which is why TKo was so frustrated again.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2023, 03:05:33 PM »
??? He’s the same guy he’s always been.

I must have been watching a different game then - in the one I saw most of his misses were terrible- even w decently open looks. The shot doesn't go that far off, that often if you're just having a night where they don't fall
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

feedback