Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sad Trombone  (Read 7129 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Sad Trombone
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2023, 03:11:35 PM »
I must have been watching a different game then - in the one I saw most of his misses were terrible- even w decently open looks. The shot doesn't go that far off, that often if you're just having a night where they don't fall

I'm not really worried about his shot. I am worried about this idea he has that he has a dribble drive game. That hurt us far more than. his shot.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2023, 03:15:14 PM »
How many timeouts did Shaka bank today? Seriously, when you have guys that have to play as many minutes as we do, why not give them a blow now and then? Today it certainly wouldn't have disrupted our game flow, as if we had one  for all except 8 minutes.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2023, 04:18:36 PM »
Shaka not being able to win this rivalry is becoming an issue for me.

A majority of Marquette’s enrollment is from out of state. This game doesn’t mean much for most involved.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2023, 04:22:27 PM »
Your premise categorically incorrect.

The offensive philosophy favors dribble drives, cutting, and points in the paint. We hammered Kansas, UCLA, and Purdue in this category despite being significantly “out-sized” against all three.

The issue today was Wisconsin gameplanned against this by building a Toronto Raptors style wall and cutting off passing lanes while leaving our “shooters” naked. We played the style of basketball they wanted us to.

They also took away our other big strength of forcing turnovers and chaos to makeup for a lack of rebounding and second chance points. This has always been Wisconsin’s strength which unfortunately neutralizes Shaka’s style in this rivalry (at least for the past three years).

This is the exact type of team we have to learn to beat. Michigan State did not play too differently to beat us in the NCAAs. We will run into another team that plays this style of ball in the NCAAs if we think we’re winning a championship or going to a Final Four.

<sigh> Your lack of basketball knowledge is frustrating, but not surprising.

Yes they want points in the paint. But they also want threes when the defense clogs the lane. And they just don't have the shooters to make good defensive teams pay.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2023, 04:27:31 PM »
He was actually a decent member 3 years ago then something happened. Mods won’t ban him though because of what happened
Because MU hired a black head coach. He's been quite clear about it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »
Because MU hired a black head coach. He's been quite clear about it.

Broken brain

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2023, 04:35:33 PM »

<sigh> Your lack of basketball knowledge is frustrating, but not surprising.

Yes they want points in the paint. But they also want threes when the defense clogs the lane. And they just don't have the shooters to make good defensive teams pay.
When the offense is humming, we are scoring in the paint off dribble drives from Kam, Jones, TK, dribble handoffs from Oso, and hard cuts from Ross, Joplin, and Mitchell.

This is not a Mike Budenholzer 5 out team. We are not built to bury you from deep.

Would it be nice if we had more consistency from the open guys in the corner when Option A is taken away? (Looking at you Stevie, Sean Jones, Joplin). Absolutely. But that doesn’t make us a team with an offensive philosophy built around three point shooting as you originally suggested.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »
When the offense is humming, we are scoring in the paint off dribble drives from Kam, Jones, TK, dribble handoffs from Oso, and hard cuts from Ross, Joplin, and Mitchell.

This is not a Mike Budenholzer 5 out team. We are not built to bury you from deep.

Would it be nice if we had more consistency from the open guys in the corner when Option A is taken away? (Looking at you Stevie, Sean Jones, Joplin). Absolutely. But that doesn’t make us a team with an offensive philosophy built around three point shooting as you originally suggested.

No kidding they aren't built to bury you from deep. That's the whole point. Their philosophy is built around scoring in the lane AND from deep. Good defenses (like MSU last year and UW today) can take one of those things away. Marquette can't consistently make them pay for that.

From the Athletic.  Read the whole thing, but I quoted below.

https://theathletic.com/4052114/2023/01/03/marquette-shaka-smart-tyler-kolek/

"Smart hired Nevada Smith, a former Division III and G League coach known for playing fast and shooting a ton of 3s, as Texas’ director of program development. (The first team Smith coached in the G League shot 45.4 3s and just one mid-range attempt per game.) Smart also connected with Northwest Missouri State coach Ben McCollum, a name sent to him when he was looking to replace an assistant coach. McCollum had already won two Division II national titles — he’s since won two more — and his teams were scoring at historically efficient rates. Smart told McCollum he should remain a head coach, but he still wanted to learn from him."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2023, 05:17:29 PM »
When was the last time we got court stormed?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2023, 05:31:29 PM »
When was the last time we got court stormed?
Funny This may be the first time. Unless court storming was a thing in the 70s

panda

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2023, 06:04:36 PM »
Par for panda

Shouldn’t you be watching msnbc now ?

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2023, 06:08:05 PM »
Funny This may be the first time. Unless court storming was a thing in the 70s

I remember East Carolina stormed after beating a top 10 MU in 2003

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2023, 06:12:20 PM »
Was the season over?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »
One game.  Clean some stuff up. Eyes on Texas and move forward.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
Over impressed with themselves?- young persons disease. 
Read the hype and believe it…. Gotta prove it might in and night out.  Otherwise you gotta be changing fecal stain bed linen way too often. 

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2023, 06:36:27 PM »
It’s always tough losing, especially to Wisconsin. But this week a lot of good ranked teams have been losing. Duke lost to Georgia Tech today. As frustrated as I am about today’s game, Shaka will make some adjustments and we will move forward. There’s a long season left in a lot of games to play. We will be fine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2023, 06:37:09 PM »
There are some pretty amazing stats in this one.  How about the fact that no one on Whisky hit a 3 other than Klesmit and they had zero in tbe 2H. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
Shaka says.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_104WL-A_Co

Time to be a big boy. 

Just play harder...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:57:30 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2023, 06:50:19 PM »
It’s always tough losing, especially to Wisconsin. But this week a lot of good ranked teams have been losing. Duke lost to Georgia Tech today. As frustrated as I am about today’s game, Shaka will make some adjustments and we will move forward. There’s a long season left in a lot of games to play. We will be fine.
Kentucky also lost at Home to a freakin no name cup cake

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2023, 06:59:01 PM »
Kentucky also lost at Home to a freakin no name cup cake

It feels like they do that every year.  But I'm not really keeping track.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2023, 07:01:49 PM »
They did at least year.
Can’t forget the s h it storm the fans raised after that one.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2023, 07:08:53 PM »
I kind of care, basically my whole family (who all live in the Milwaukee area) are Badger fans, so I pretty much have to watch with them, and now when I’m invested in the team we have to lose every year to the critters.
last season worked out ok in terms of the RED hoard trash talk since we won the BE, BE tourney and had a high tournament seed to their bottom feeder conf finish and NIT. Hopefully we can duplicate a year ago, only better. Otherwise, the December’24 rematch is a long 12 months away (would love to play them again in March in the tournament, if the ncaa would gift us that).

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2023, 08:51:55 PM »
Despite Scoop's resident comedian's snarks, Shaka and Nevada have not beat a gap containment defense while at MU (Miss State, MSU, Badgers (3), Purdue (2)). Yes, that means mid-range has to be a viable option. They struggled at Texas too. Piss poor performance by the coaching staff.

As to shooting, it's a MAJOR concern despite no NBA arc stripes.
This is exactly the point.  There are teams with prevailing philosophies (and the ability to execute) who can beat MU if MU doesn't make some adjustments.  Simply tell Kam and Kokel that open mid-range jumpers are OK when there is a wall preventing the drive and suddenly the game changes. 

The shooters not shooting well makes it even worse.  Maybe even Jop heats up if he hits the forbidden 15 footer.  I know the metrics say these are bad shots.  I'd rather win with bad shots than lose with 3's and layups.  How did 'nova win so many tournament games?  Guards who can hit floaters and mid-range jumpers.  It's not something for every game because MU's prevailing style is going to beat 95% of teams.  Problem is we need to beat 100% to win the NCAA tournament. 

As for Jop - he probably needs a game or two of 10-15 minutes off the bench against the other team's reserves to see if he can get his game back.  Gold played like crap today and he outplayed Jop... and it's the 3rd game in a row like that. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2023, 08:54:32 PM »
This is exactly the point.  There are teams with prevailing philosophies (and the ability to execute) who can beat MU if MU doesn't make some adjustments.  Simply tell Kam and Kokel that open mid-range jumpers are OK when there is a wall preventing the drive and suddenly the game changes. 

The shooters not shooting well makes it even worse.  Maybe even Jop heats up if he hits the forbidden 15 footer.  I know the metrics say these are bad shots.  I'd rather win with bad shots than lose with 3's and layups.  How did 'nova win so many tournament games?  Guards who can hit floaters and mid-range jumpers.  It's not something for every game because MU's prevailing style is going to beat 95% of teams.  Problem is we need to beat 100% to win the NCAA tournament. 

As for Jop - he probably needs a game or two of 10-15 minutes off the bench against the other team's reserves to see if he can get his game back.  Gold played like crap today and he outplayed Jop... and it's the 3rd game in a row like that.
Exactly correct

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2023, 09:45:13 PM »
We are so far, far from the elite offensively efficient team we were last year.   Combined with poor rebounding - Shaka said  today UW got 52% of their offensive rebounds versus our 18% - combined with poor free throw shooting and overall poor shooting this year, it makes for tough games.  Shaka and the team will clean up some of this - try Lowery in there to try to get some deflections and rebounds.  Go Marquette!