collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who sez bipartisanship is dead?  (Read 958 times)

MU82

• All American
Who sez bipartisanship is dead?
« on: December 01, 2023, 10:14:46 AM »
Buh-bye, George Santos.

You won't be missed (except as comic relief).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Who sez bipartisanship is dead?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
Why?   Unnecessary.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 10:52:54 AM »
Why?   Unnecessary.

Santos' fellow congresspeople agreed that he's unnecessary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 11:18:37 AM »
Let's start with the obvious: George Santos is a dishonest crook.

That said, I have serious questions about Congress removing a member from the assembly. He's duly elected by the people he represents and that's apparently what his District wanted.

Remove him from committees, isolate his perks and don't count on him for anything. All he does is vote when a matter reaches the House floor. Instead, you now have a District in New York unrepresented for a year.

It will teach people to dig further before they vote for someone.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 11:28:02 AM »

That said, I have serious questions about Congress removing a member from the assembly. He's duly elected by the people he represents and that's apparently what his District wanted.

Remove him from committees, isolate his perks and don't count on him for anything. All he does is vote when a matter reaches the House floor. Instead, you now have a District in New York unrepresented for a year.

I think they actually wanted the person that George Santos SAID he was - not the person he really was.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 11:58:04 AM »
I think they actually wanted the person that George Santos SAID he was - not the person he really was.
Said every voter, everywhere, forever.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 01:07:12 PM »

I more or less agree with this, despite how crazy this all is, the standard to remove should be even more extreme cases, too easy to abuse this power.

But if his constituents really want him back in office, I suppose they can vote him back in… :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 01:18:52 PM »
Lying to his constituents on virtually every level?   Meh.    Vote him out next time.      Complete and utter disregard for even the most lenient of fundraising laws?   That is an ethics problem worthy of expulsion.    He invented new ways to break laws.   Kudos for creativity, I guess.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 01:31:06 PM »
Mean while Bob Menendez is still serving in the Senate.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »
Mean while Bob Menendez is still serving in the Senate.

And republicans aren’t calling for his resignation. Why wouldn’t these bastions of integrity call for his expulsion?

They want to use it for fundraising, obviously. But D voters are not like R voters. He will be ousted by Dems in the primary.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 05:17:05 PM »
And republicans aren’t calling for his resignation. Why wouldn’t these bastions of integrity call for his expulsion?

They want to use it for fundraising, obviously. But D voters are not like R voters. He will be ousted by Dems in the primary.

as usual, the people who put ice cream breath in position got it arse backwards

anything about eric swallow sleeping with a chinese spy while serving on the homeland security committee?  priceless

it's called projection
don't...don't don't don't don't

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »

This is where you lost me.  They did not vote for him. They voted for the man he falsely claimed to be.  The lies he told voters were way over the top and seriously egregious.  Not just exaggerations, but multiple outlandish lies.  Fake resume, fake degree, misuse of campaign funds to the level he will probably go to jail for it.  If you did these things to get a job and your employer found out about it what do you think would happen? 

The standard that, until convicted of a crime, he can't be removed from office is ridiculous.  There have to be some standards that must be met before you can serve in office, no? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2023, 05:26:47 PM »
  anything about eric swallow sleeping with a chinese spy while serving on the homeland security committee?  priceless

Yeah. A House committee investigated and found nothing.
Always behind, Rocket

https://thehill.com/homenews/4018047-house-ethics-concludes-swalwell-probe-into-link-to-chinese-spy-taking-no-action/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 05:57:11 PM »

it's called projection

9 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 06:29:56 PM »

Democrats control the Senate, not Republicans. And while some have called for him to RESIGN, none (to my knowledge) have advocated for his expulsion. A lot of the resignation noise comes from Dem Senators up for re-election trying to get ahead of the issue. It’s all politics (this and Santos) and to suggest otherwise is naively partisan. The idea that George Santos will be renominated by the Rs is scary stupid.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 07:12:16 PM »

it's called projection
100 out of 10

Rico is way too hard of a grader.

Ice cream breath? Check
Eric swallow? Check
Alternate facts completely disconnected from reality? Check
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 07:16:21 PM by TSmith34, Inc. »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2023, 07:19:06 PM »
Democrats control the Senate, not Republicans. And while some have called for him to RESIGN, none (to my knowledge) have advocated for his expulsion. A lot of the resignation noise comes from Dem Senators up for re-election trying to get ahead of the issue. It’s all politics (this and Santos) and to suggest otherwise is naively partisan. The idea that George Santos will be renominated by the Rs is scary stupid.

While it's true that Dems have the slimmest of majorities in the Senate, it's also true that expelling him would require a 2/3rds majority vote ... so 16 Republicans at a minimum.
And, interestingly enough (wink wink) the Republicans are among those most vocally opposed to his ouster. Including your guy, Tom Cotton.
In fact, while a couple dozen Democrats have called on Menendez to resign, I don't believe any Republicans have.
Now why might that be?

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/26/bob-menendez-bribery-indictment-republicans

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2023, 11:59:15 PM »
While it's true that Dems have the slimmest of majorities in the Senate, it's also true that expelling him would require a 2/3rds majority vote ... so 16 Republicans at a minimum.
And, interestingly enough (wink wink) the Republicans are among those most vocally opposed to his ouster. Including your guy, Tom Cotton.
In fact, while a couple dozen Democrats have called on Menendez to resign, I don't believe any Republicans have.
Now why might that be?

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/26/bob-menendez-bribery-indictment-republicans

Of course Dems want him to resign. Not because he’s a crook, but because he’s an embarrassment, especially to those up for re-election. They don’t want to expel him and get their hands dirty though. They want him to go - quietly..

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 06:38:33 AM »
This is where you lost me.  They did not vote for him. They voted for the man he falsely claimed to be.  The lies he told voters were way over the top and seriously egregious.  Not just exaggerations, but multiple outlandish lies.  Fake resume, fake degree, misuse of campaign funds to the level he will probably go to jail for it.  If you did these things to get a job and your employer found out about it what do you think would happen? 

The standard that, until convicted of a crime, he can't be removed from office is ridiculous.  There have to be some standards that must be met before you can serve in office, no?
New picture of Congress showing members who have kept their campaign promises. Politicians suck.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 07:03:42 AM »

Santos is the sixth member of the House to be expelled

In 1861 three members were expelled for supporting the Confederate rebellion.

In 1980 Congressman Mike Myers was expelled AFTER he was CONVICTED of taking bribes (Abscam) while serving in the House.

In 2002 Congressman James Traficant was expelled AFTER he was CONVICTED on ten counts including bribery, conspiracy to defraud the United States, corruption, obstruction of justice, tax evasion, and racketeering while serving in the House.

So until yesterday the only reason a congressman was expelled was either supporting the Confederacy or being convicted for crimes committed while serving in the House.

Santos was neither of these. So yesterday the House lowered the standard for expulsion.  This is a dangerous precedent.

—-

Is Santos a scumbag... Yes
Should he be in Congress.… No

But it's not for the other members of the House to remove him. 

His District can recall him or vote him out.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:07:04 AM by Not A Serious Person »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2023, 07:06:46 AM »
Shocked that Heisey is a hypocrite about this too. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2023, 07:37:53 AM »
Last I checked the BOTUS still occupies the White House, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2023, 07:47:31 AM »
Last I checked the BOTUS still occupies the White House, hey?

Yeah, he routed the previous guy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.