Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Purdude abides  (Read 10228 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Purdude abides
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2023, 06:45:23 PM »
Nobody guards 75 feet away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2023, 06:48:08 PM »

Agree.  No one wants a 75 ft foul and three shots.  Luck was not with Marquette today.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2023, 06:49:13 PM »
2. The prayer at the half that everyone bemoans - totally unguarded, no defense at all.

You’re joking right? The worst case scenario there is someone gets too close and the refs call a foul.

You don’t guard a shooter from 3/4 court, ever.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2023, 06:50:10 PM »
Goal is National Championship

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »
Scoopers

I am frickin exhausted. Disappointing by the outcome, but having this feeling in November shows to me where the program is nationally. Have enjoyed communicating with a lot of old friends this week and talking MU ball.

I do not think I have ever been invested in November games or more disappointed with a loss. In the season prediction thread I said I believed MU would be ranked #1 for multiple weeks this season and March will work for me.

You mentioned you watched the game at your sisters. Does she still have a TV?

Lose now, win in March.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2023, 06:59:25 PM »
I’m really surprised by the Jop hate. He wasn’t a ball stopper. Made his only shot. Has improved to adequate defensively. And he’s a huge reason we beat #1 last night.

He’s a spot shooter who can back people down at times. He really can’t create his own offense. He’s a slightly better version of what he’s always been.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2023, 06:59:38 PM »
He'll of a Maui tourney. Annoyed by whistle but whatever.

Planes Trains and Automobiles at Music Box will ease any sorrow.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2023, 07:05:48 PM »
1.Edey is an unstoppable force of nature at this level.
2.Smith and Loyer made some incredible shots on drives to the basket.
3.Purdue shot better than they know how from 3, including a 70 footer and a corner shot that came right as the shot clock expired.
4.Chase Ross (who I LOVE as a player) really struggled tonight.
5.We missed a ton of open 3s.

Just about everything that could go wrong did, yet there we were, in it to the end. I love this team, and I’m more bullish on them than I was before this tournament.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2023, 07:06:01 PM »
I blame DW3 for bailing on MU today.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2023, 07:09:44 PM »

He’s a spot shooter who can back people down at times. He really can’t create his own offense. He’s a slightly better version of what he’s always been.

Agree with all of this but stand by my comment. He’s a valuable part of a great team and they’d be worse without him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2023, 07:13:29 PM »
The difference was Oso sitting for much of the first half due to a stupid foul 30’ from the basket….not the 3/4 length shot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 07:16:51 PM by We R Final Four »

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2023, 07:13:30 PM »
Agree with all of this but stand by my comment. He’s a valuable part of a great team and they’d be worse without him.

I just think people were expecting a bigger jump.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2023, 07:14:22 PM »
The difference was Oso sitting for much of the first half due to a stupid foil 30’ from the basket….not the 3/4 length shot.

Exactly

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2023, 07:20:20 PM »
The difference was Oso sitting for much of the first half due to a stupid foul 30’ from the basket….not the 3/4 length shot.

That and not securing the ball a few times. This one hurts, but in total, a great showing in Hawaii. This team is living up to the high expectations.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2023, 07:23:53 PM »

Well you could so yo can foul the shooter and give him 3 free throws. Yes there is a good reason not to guard a 70 foot shot.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2023, 07:27:30 PM »
If the shot doesn't go in Purdue don't win by 3 points, but yes Oso's dumb foul hurt.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2023, 07:29:52 PM »
If the shot doesn't go in Purdue don't win by 3 points, but yes Oso's dumb foul hurt.

You can’t make the assumption that everything would have played out the same in the second half. That’s not how it works.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2023, 07:30:30 PM »

The dumb foul was the key because it totally changed the trajectory of the first half.  If he doesn’t sit for an extended period, we’re not down 12 at half.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2023, 07:30:55 PM »
You can’t make the assumption that everything would have played out the same in the second half. That’s not how it works.
;D Nothing is how it works....

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2023, 07:38:29 PM »
The guys did a great job of coming back in the second half - just could not quite get over the last hump. Fatigue probably played a part in that. (Tyler looked exhausted in second half.) But, they played a great tournament and we should all be very proud of them.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2023, 07:38:34 PM »
Oso hitting that floater:push shot with consistency is a huge weapon for MU.

Tough loss.  But this will be a great season.  The best is yet to come. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2023, 07:43:08 PM »
Not losing a nanosecond of sleep.   Two really good teams in a one possession game on a neutral floor in November.

As an aside, I am really proud of this thread title.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2023, 07:44:44 PM »

I can't believe this thread went this far before somebody made this observation.

The Oso foul hurt us a lot more than a fluke shot. Heck, them going off from 3 way better than they have and way better than they will in most games had more to do with the outcome than that one 3.

And even despite all of that - Oso's foul, them shooting lights out in the first half and them hitting the fluke 3 - we STILL had numerous chances in the second half, literally right up until the end of the game.

I'm disappointed because that was a very winnable game, but I'm not even a little discouraged. We already beat two teams with 7-foot centers in the tournament, and we battled like hell against a future #1 seed despite facing a ton of adversity (some self-inflicted) all game. Marquette is no less a championship contender right now.

Saying we lost because of that shot ... I mean, why didn't we lose because of any other 3-pointers they made ... or any of the THREE wide-open 3s Gold missed ... or Kolek's missed 3 near the end ... or any of the 5-6 rebounds that went right through our players' hands ... or a bazillion other plays?

I'd have thought "we lost because of a 75-footer" was in teal if so many folks hadn't kept saying it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2023, 07:48:31 PM »
I just think people were expecting a bigger jump.

I agree that many were though I couldn’t figure out why. Jop’s ceiling is limited by a lack of athleticism. And he’s small for his position. He already was a borderline elite shooter, so I didn’t see a big jump there.

Sean has elite speed and quickness. Harnessing it could lead to a major leap. Chase has elite all around athleticism, so plenty of room to improve. Ben has size AND skill, so as the game slows down for him the possible upsize is great. Jop (imo) can only improve on the margins - and it’s not his fault.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2023, 07:50:58 PM »
I agree that many were though I couldn’t figure out why. Jop’s ceiling is limited by a lack of athleticism. And he’s small for his position. He already was a borderline elite shooter, so I didn’t see a big jump there.

Sean has elite speed and quickness. Harnessing it could lead to a major leap. Chase has elite all around athleticism, so plenty of room to improve. Ben has size AND skill, so as the game slows down for him the possible upsize is great. Jop (imo) can only improve on the margins - and it’s not his fault.

On the money as usual Lenny.