[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Scrimmage

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Scrimmage

Date/Time: Oct 5, 2024 11:00am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Purdude abides  (Read 12365 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Purdude abides
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »
Lenny

I watched the game with my ball rabbi and he said to say hi to you. The following were his observations:

1. Kolek is the second best guard ever, behind Butch Lee. Wade is out of the discussion because he is best player ever.
2. Beyond bullish on Ben Gold. Loves how he can catch a pass and ready to shoot, much like Novak in that regard.
3. Loves Sean Jones and his pressure on defense.
4. Joplin is a very good role player, strictly based off of being limited athletically.
5. Said the last three days he felt like it was March Madness.
6. Could not be higher on this team or program as a whole.

My take, this team is really, really good and I am more bullish than I was a week ago and I was very bullish.

Love Gold, too, but continue to be shocked he doesn’t hit his 3s at a much better clip. So many good looks that look good out of his hand but just don’t go down, the big two last night aside. His form is too good for them not to start falling more consistently. Would make him such a weapon.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2023, 08:59:42 PM »
I'm still upset but will give Purdue credit.  I believe strongly we were in position to usurp the game. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2023, 09:01:57 PM »
Love Gold, too, but continue to be shocked he doesn’t hit his 3s at a much better clip. So many good looks that look good out of his hand but just don’t go down, the big two last night aside. His form is too good for them not to start falling more consistently. Would make him such a weapon.

Yes Ben hitting 3s more consistently would help in many ways. Edey had to come out to challenge him.   They always say he drains them in practice.   Maybe he will get there.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2023, 09:07:22 PM »
With regards to Jop he battled all game defensively.  That said if he's going to be on the floor he can't take one shot in like 20 mins.  He's a scorer, find a way to get him catch and shoots or a few back doors.  I get it, he's not comfortable trying to score off the bounce and that's not his game.  However, if he's on the floor find a way to get him involved in the offense.

With Ben and Oso in early and often foul trouble (along with Kam) Jop was asked to take on some heavy lifting. A little surprised by the comments. David was playing the role the situation and coaches dictated.

As to shot selection, Marquette's plan was to drive Edey --continuously--to wear him out and to get into foul trouble. And to leave the perimeter shooters to fate. Problem was, both Edey and the shooters beat MU just like at West Lafayette. MU only took 17 threes with 2 late chucks.

The game plan worked to wear Purdue down but MU needed another minute. Not a fan of the strategy I must say with Kam shooting just two threes and Jop just 1. Purdue had 15 more points on treys.  Yikes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:11:32 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2023, 09:08:32 PM »
We have not gotten the 3-Ball going with any consistency in our 4 games vs quality opponents.  And we still won 3/4.  I'm waiting for the floodgates to open. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2023, 09:11:19 PM »
We have not gotten the 3-Ball going with any consistency in our 4 games vs quality opponents.  And we still won 3/4.  I'm waiting for the floodgates to open.

Small sample size alert, but Marquette has the 38th best effective fg% right now while being slightly above average as a 3pt team.  The offense will be and is fine and will only get better
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2023, 09:12:24 PM »
We're seeing a bit of why losing out on Kon stung. Once Kam and TK are gone who can you rely on to hit threes consistently?

Ben's shot looks good but he just doesn't make enough of them. Sean and Stevie hitting them is found money.

When it comes to Jop, he is what he is. And that should be coming off the bench.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2023, 09:32:40 PM »
I love Jop and think he's talented enough to start for this team, but its going to be a challenge for Shaka to scheme for him given the construction of the roster.  Playing at this pace doesn't benefit his game unless he's making a living on catch and shoot threes. I'd also like to see how often he and Gold play together - I don't think its much and I don't think they can.  Neither of them is able to move the ball fast enough and it will bog the offense down.  There will be games like UCLA where for one reason or another MU's flow stagnates and those are the games that Jop's strength and ability to score will be huge.  But if MU is having its way and dictating pace and flow, Ross's minutes are going to primarily eat into Jop's.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2023, 09:45:55 PM »
I love Jop and think he's talented enough to start for this team, but its going to be a challenge for Shaka to scheme for him given the construction of the roster.  Playing at this pace doesn't benefit his game unless he's making a living on catch and shoot threes. I'd also like to see how often he and Gold play together - I don't think its much and I don't think they can.  Neither of them is able to move the ball fast enough and it will bog the offense down.  There will be games like UCLA where for one reason or another MU's flow stagnates and those are the games that Jop's strength and ability to score will be huge.  But if MU is having its way and dictating pace and flow, Ross's minutes are going to primarily eat into Jop's.

He hasn't figured out his role yet.  I think you have to get Jop shots but also understand where to get them and who's defending. 

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2023, 09:47:48 PM »
The difference was Oso sitting for much of the first half due to a stupid foul 30’ from the basket….not the 3/4 length shot.
THIS!!
Played half of game with one hand tied behind our back
Unfortunately we tied it there ourselves
Incredible effort to be there at the end!!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2023, 09:54:00 PM »
1.  Too many fouls, not enough 3's.
2.  MU committed those fouls.  Purdue hit those 3's.
3.   I said in the 'Purdue game' thread that Purdue returned almost as much as MU and that they were playing with a high level of their version of connectedness.  The first half showed this.
4. Purdue's guards were not sped up until the second half.
5.  Put in Amadou.   Let him get some fouls and learn.   Edey is a force of nature at the college level.   How better to learn?
6.  Resilience, thy name is Marquette.  No fear, no quit.
7.   If MU ever starts raining 3's...oh, wait, I am repeating myself.
8.  Reigning NPOY.  7'4.   The refs got it right on the vast majority of the foul calls.
9.  Unpopular take, but I thought Stevie should have played more.
10.  If this game is played again, and MU is a half step quicker on a whole bunch of rotations early, MU wins.   Today, on this court, Purdue had enough.  But it was helluva fight.   Alas.

#2 - The best summation using the least characters.
#3 - PU a very good basketball team. Edey a legitimate load. A lot of sour grapes on the Board over him. He's both tall and talented. FT stroke is beautiful for a big man. Good surrounding talent around him that have as much familiarity playing together as MU.
#5 - I thought this also for the last 90 seconds as Tower suggested.
#10 - A great basketball game. Very high on this team. They play hard.
#11 - Would like to have seen a TO at the end before Tyler shot.
#12 - Agree that second Oso foul was a very large factor in the outcome.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2023, 10:33:56 PM »
#12 is all that I've been thinking about.  He cannot pick up that 2nd foul.   I feel like we were the better team with Oso on the floor. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2023, 07:31:35 AM »
Without that big run in the first half we walk away with a W. Oso’s second foul put us in a hole we almost climbed out of.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2023, 07:46:15 AM »
No doubt the 2nd Oso foul hurt the most. Silly foul and it limited what they could on both sides of the court for over ten minutes.

In reflecting back on the game, far more positives than negatives and feel the team had an outstanding week. This is a crazy long season, especially with the lofty ranking and expectations.

As a fan, I feel like every game is an elimination game at the moment and I need to remember those do not happen for another four months. No doubt, this fan needs to pace himself or will be completely worn out by February.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2023, 08:07:39 AM »
In reflecting back on the game, far more positives than negatives and feel the team had an outstanding week. This is a crazy long season, especially with the lofty ranking and expectations.

As a fan, I feel like every game is an elimination game at the moment and I need to remember those do not happen for another four months. No doubt, this fan needs to pace himself or will be completely worn out by February.

I'm with ya. These felt like NCAA Tournament games. More battles to come. UW is figuring it out and that will be a fight as well. Then Texas at a sold out Fiserv.

There's nothing this team will see in Big East play that they haven't faced. Purdue will be tremendous prep for Creighton and UConn, with a giant in the middle and shooters zipping around him.

You know what though? I can't wait until Tuesday. I don't care who they're playing, I'm just happy to be in the building watching these dudes play.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2023, 08:11:04 AM »
fan12

I agree across the board. I just need to pace my energy because this week wore me down. When I got home after the game yesterday I felt like I had played three days in a row.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2023, 08:28:13 AM »
It felt like the Big East tourney last year.  One beastly opponent after the next.  A titanic struggle.   

This time, an unfortunate result.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2023, 08:31:52 AM »
1.  Too many fouls, not enough 3's.
2.  MU committed those fouls.  Purdue hit those 3's.
3.   I said in the 'Purdue game' thread that Purdue returned almost as much as MU and that they were playing with a high level of their version of connectedness.  The first half showed this.
4. Purdue's guards were not sped up until the second half.
5.  Put in Amadou.   Let him get some fouls and learn.   Edey is a force of nature at the college level.   How better to learn?
6.  Resilience, thy name is Marquette.  No fear, no quit.
7.   If MU ever starts raining 3's...oh, wait, I am repeating myself.
8.  Reigning NPOY.  7'4.   The refs got it right on the vast majority of the foul calls.
9.  Unpopular take, but I thought Stevie should have played more.
10.  If this game is played again, and MU is a half step quicker on a whole bunch of rotations early, MU wins.   Today, on this court, Purdue had enough.  But it was helluva fight.   Alas.

11.  The only difference in the final score was a 3/4 court length Hail Mary at the end of the first half.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2023, 08:53:47 AM »

Totally agree with that sentiment, Goose. These last few days were exhausting!

One of my MU text chains includes my roommate senior year, who also was the best man at our wedding. Great guy, entire family went to Marquette, but when we were there he was only a casual hoops fan and still isn't a rabid fan like the rest of us in the chain.

But he has picked up his fandom since Shaka arrived, especially last season and this. And here's what his comment was at the end of the game: "I need to lie down."

Cracked me up. Then one of our other buddies responded: "I hope I get a defibrillator for Christmas."

Meanwhile, when we're watching MU play, I think my wife actually yells more (and louder) at the TV now than I do!

So Scoopers aren't the only ones going wacky over Shaka's warriors. It's already been a fun season, and it's only gonna get more intense when conference play starts.

It is exhausting ... but it beats the eff out of the alternative!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2023, 11:44:01 AM »
In Hawaii, Edey was 18 for 20 within 4.5 feet, and 8 for 25 beyond it. Not a surprise. He’s very good at what he does, against good teams too.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »
Agree. It was  a loss. But as good as Purdue shot from 3 and as bad as Marquette shot from 3 this game gives me hope!

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2023, 11:50:30 PM »
Agree. It was  a loss. But as good as Purdue shot from 3 and as bad as Marquette shot from 3 this game gives me hope!

And really, the offense Marquette is running game them plenty of open look shots - not like we didn’t get the looks.  That is a success.   We missed a lot of the, but we got the looks which despite the opponent Marquette did that.   The shots will fall.  Our shooters are good

1SE

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2023, 12:51:33 AM »
The Maui hangover will probably hit at least one team- I'm glad we have a week off and a cupcake
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 12:53:18 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2023, 07:49:39 AM »
From the JS, Kolek second-guesses himself on taking a 3 with about 10 seconds left:

"The first shot, for myself, I'd like to get to the basket. There's enough time, maybe 15 seconds left, you can get a layup on that.

"Then go down and play. They missed free throws. They missed both of them... so you go down and hit a layup, those free throws are hard to make. There's a lot of pressure on them. It's not the same as with 18 minutes left on the game clock.

"So get in the paint, then it's a one-point game. They miss a free throw. Two threes ... maybe those looks we wanted. So kind of getting my team organized at the end of the game is something I'll definitely look back on in the film session."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2023, 07:53:40 AM »
Hero ball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.