collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OpenAI  (Read 724 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
OpenAI
« on: November 20, 2023, 07:23:56 PM »
Let me know what you think about this ....

I believe OpenAI is the most important tech company of the last few decades. It is on the leading edge of developing AI.

I think this tweet summed up what happened.

@hosseeb
This weekend we all witnessed how a culture war is born.

E/accs now have their original sin they can point back to. This will become the new thing that people feel compelled to take a side on--e/acc vs decel--and nuance or middle ground will be punished.

----

The fight inside OpenAI was about the power they they are about to unleash.

Decel is deacceleratist. They want to slow things down, fearing what they are about to create with AI.
E/accs is an acceleratist who wants to develop AI to its fullest as quickly as possible.

Essentially, the board is Decels. Altman and OpenAI president Greg Brockman are a e/accls. They want to go full speed, including trying to fund their own semiconductor company to compete with Nvidia.

The board was full of Decels, and they came to a point where they could not agree with Altman and Brockman's e/accl plans. So they fired Altman and demoted Brockman from the board (he promptly quit).

It took Altman/Brockman 36 hours to find a landing spot at mega e/accl Microsoft, and most of the OpenAI e/accl employees are ready to jump over with Altman/Brockman to keep pushing the edge of the AI envelope.

Another former founder of OpenAI decel (yes he was also a founder) weighted in

@elonmusk
Why did you take such a drastic action?

If OpenAI is doing something potentially dangerous to humanity, the world needs to know.

-----

Musk has been saying/worrying that AI is the equivalent of Skynet.

The bottom line, the leading edge of AI has now moved to trillion-dollar e/accl, and it is going to come hard and fast.

A lot of people close to this firm are decels. They understand it like we do not and want to slow it down.

I don't know enough to say which camp I'm in.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 07:25:40 PM by Not A Serious Person »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

lawdog77

• All American
Re: OpenAI
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 07:32:08 PM »

I believe OpenAI is the most important tech company of the last few decades. It is on the leading edge of developing AI.

@hosseeb

E/accs now have their original sin they can point back to. This will become the new thing that people feel compelled to take a side on--e/acc vs decel--and nuance or middle ground will be punished.

----

Decel is deacceleratist. They want to slow things down, fearing what they are about to create with AI.
E/accs is an acceleratist who wants to develop AI to its fullest as quickly as possible.

Essentially, the board is Decels. Altman and OpenAI president Greg Brockman are a e/accls. They want to go full speed, including trying to fund their own semiconductor company to compete with Nvidia.

The board was full of Decels, and they came to a point where they could not agree with Altman and Brockman's e/accl plans. So they fired Altman and demoted Brockman from the board (he promptly quit).

It took Altman/Brockman 36 hours to find a landing spot at mega e/accl Microsoft, and most of the OpenAI e/accl employees are ready to jump over with Altman/Brockman to keep pushing the edge of the AI envelope.

@elonmusk

If OpenAI is doing something potentially dangerous to humanity, the world needs to know.

-----

The bottom line, the leading edge of AI has now moved to trillion-dollar e/accl, and it is going to come hard and fast.

A lot of people close to this firm are decels. They understand it like we do not and want to slow it down.

Thoughts?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 07:49:20 PM »
Musk is saying what he’s saying because he got frozen out of OpenAI and has launched his own AI venture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 07:57:59 PM »
Musk is saying what he’s saying because he got frozen out of OpenAI and has launched his own AI venture.

And he’s an anti-semite
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 08:42:16 PM »

@hosseeb

----

@elonmusk

-----

Thoughts?

Do you get paid by the word?

Give it a break.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 09:02:48 PM »
It doesn't matter how accelerationist people are, we're still pretty far from the singularity. LLMs are not what will get us there. LLMs aren't even really AI in the way laymen think about it.

The board of Open AI just messed up a power play and it blew up in their face. They were mad they couldn't control the CEO so they fired him.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 09:26:02 PM »
It doesn't matter how accelerationist people are, we're still pretty far from the singularity. LLMs are not what will get us there. LLMs aren't even really AI in the way laymen think about it.

The board of Open AI just messed up a power play and it blew up in their face. They were mad they couldn't control the CEO so they fired him.

Agreed.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 01:16:51 AM »

I agree, but the board certainly didn’t look at it that way. And they felt such an urgency that they fired Altman demoted Brockman.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:19:05 AM by Not A Serious Person »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 01:21:13 AM »
From Brian Armstrong, the CEO of Coinbase

@Brian_Armstrong

If this is really some EA, decel, AI safety coup at OpenAI, the board just torched $80B of value, destroyed a shining star of American capitalism, and will be sued to high heaven by investors.

Every talented employee at OpenAI should quit and join Sam/Greg's new thing (if they make one). This time, skip the woke non-profit board, eject the decels/EAs, maintain founder control, avoid nonsensical regulation, and just build. Accelerate progress. You are building something good for the world, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for it and try to capture it for their own motives.

This kind of decel thinking is what destroyed value at Google, and OpenAI used to be the antidote to it (now fell to the same forces, if true). EA destroyed a lot of value in crypto, now AI. San Francisco is part of the issue here also. Lots of it traces back to Marxist thinking. You have to purge companies of this to de-risk them - ironically this is the real safety risk they should have been worried about.

—-

EA is effective altruism. The same garbage that Sam Bankman-Fried pushed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:23:03 AM by Not A Serious Person »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 05:33:03 AM »
You gravitate towards nutjobs that confirm your world view. Touch grass

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 06:25:56 AM »
You gravitate towards nutjobs that confirm your world view. Touch grass

You think Armstrong is a nutjob?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 06:52:48 AM »
Well if he wants to find someone who destroyed a lot of investor capital, the ceo of coinbase can find a mirror for pretty cheap.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 07:52:23 AM »
You think Armstrong is a nutjob?

I think Armstrong is making statements about a situation in which he is making leap of faith assumptions to push his preferred narrative.

It's transparent and they you're lapping it up. Not helpful or interesting unless you are also trying to push a narrative.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 09:16:07 AM »
Well if he wants to find someone who destroyed a lot of investor capital, the ceo of coinbase can find a mirror for pretty cheap.

COIN up 200% YTD ... good call.

I think Armstrong is making statements about a situation in which he is making leap of faith assumptions to push his preferred narrative.

It's transparent and they you're lapping it up. Not helpful or interesting unless you are also trying to push a narrative.

I'm sure glad you know what I'm thinking when I don't.

Here is the matrix.  I'm toward the top of it. But I am not sure where on the "and that means" spectrum. I am probably just to the right of the center.

Where are you on this?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 09:28:59 AM »

COIN up 200% YTD ... good call.

[...]

Now do, oh I don't know to pick a completely random date out of the ether, since 4/14/21.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 09:40:36 AM »
Now do, oh I don't know to pick a completely random date out of the ether, since 4/14/21.

I picked it out of the Solana.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2023, 11:13:14 AM »
I'm sure glad you know what I'm thinking when I don't.

Here is the matrix.  I'm toward the top of it. But I am not sure where on the "and that means" spectrum. I am probably just to the right of the center.

Where are you on this?

Reject feedback and switch topics. Classic.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 11:19:03 AM »
I picked it out of the Solana.

boo, ban this man lol