Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread  (Read 211900 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #2975 on: March 11, 2024, 04:55:14 PM »
Nope.  He’s buried because of his defense and he hasn’t been particularly good shooting this year either.  He’s 29% from 3.

FWIW, I think he had some nagging, early season injuries and just never found a spot or rhythm again

It's hard to glean much regarding his shooting percentage when he plays spot minutes.  We know he could shoot last year.  Maybe he's psychologically broken from the Harvard of the Midwest curriculum?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2976 on: March 11, 2024, 04:58:42 PM »
In sort of paraphrasing his comment here, have the players be employees and sign them to 2,3 or4 year contracts (with a non compete clause) with an out if entering the NBA draft. Div 1 would obviously be different and much smaller. Writing is on the wall, especially given court activity?

Good luck with the bolded. Courts in many states often side with the defendants challenging non-compete agreements as the courts see it as a restraint on trade. I had some first hand experience as an employer and was able to prevent a competitor from poaching, but the language of my non compete was carefully written so that it did not unduly restrict the former employee.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2977 on: March 11, 2024, 04:59:23 PM »
It's hard to glean much regarding his shooting percentage when he plays spot minutes.  We know he could shoot last year.  Maybe he's psychologically broken from the Harvard of the Midwest curriculum?

I don’t think he’s that good.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2978 on: March 11, 2024, 06:31:28 PM »
Pretty interesting answer from Pitino on the state of CBB.

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/1767266202852749569?t=ERMT8_3JO3Y-GIVHils8cQ&s=19

More interesting was when he gave his 8 title contenders but then spent the whole time focusing on 4 teams

UConn, Purdue, Houston…….us
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2979 on: March 11, 2024, 06:45:17 PM »
Good luck with the bolded. Courts in many states often side with the defendants challenging non-compete agreements as the courts see it as a restraint on trade. I had some first hand experience as an employer and was able to prevent a competitor from poaching, but the language of my non compete was carefully written so that it did not unduly restrict the former employee.
Not all non-competes are created equally. They can be easily enforced if crafted the right way, the employee is considered 'key' and especially if they are tied to an employment contract. Seen it myself many times and personally held to one that a very good law firm could not help me break. I also live in a state that would be considered very pro-employee when it comes to non-competes.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2980 on: March 11, 2024, 06:55:33 PM »
Not all non-competes are created equally. They can be easily enforced if crafted the right way, the employee is considered 'key' and especially if they are tied to an employment contract. Seen it myself many times and personally held to one that a very good law firm could not help me break. I also live in a state that would be considered very pro-employee when it comes to non-competes.

The state one lives in definitely has a lot to do with the probability of enforcement. Would it not be conceivable that a recruit would take that into account before committing? I think so. And that is assuming that the non-compete clause along with a contractual relationship is a requirement in every team. What would preclude some schools from saying "No contract here!, We'll take our chances."?

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2981 on: March 11, 2024, 06:57:00 PM »
There wouldn't be non-competes. Why would any player sign a contract that binds them to one school?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2982 on: March 11, 2024, 06:58:32 PM »
There wouldn't be non-competes. Why would any player sign a contract that binds them to one school?

Thank you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2983 on: March 11, 2024, 07:18:06 PM »
Charleston hangs on to get to the Coastal finals.  RIP Colonial

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2984 on: March 11, 2024, 07:32:35 PM »
James Madison well on their way to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2013

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2985 on: March 11, 2024, 07:44:05 PM »
$$$$

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2986 on: March 11, 2024, 07:47:42 PM »
$$$$

I'm not sure the school has much interest in tying themselves down either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2987 on: March 11, 2024, 07:55:11 PM »
South Dakota State about to end the season of St. Thomas.  The Tommies will always have their win against Marquette to remember this season

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2988 on: March 11, 2024, 08:19:55 PM »
The Big Sky Tournament is a mess. Montana, the 3-seed is the best team left.  They’re also the only team with a winning record of the 5 teams left.  Edit: Portland State is 17-14 and playing Montana tonight
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:29:32 PM by Uncle Rico »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2989 on: March 11, 2024, 08:45:07 PM »
Samford punches their first ticket to the dance since 2000 winning the SoCon tourney.  29-5 record

Great name gets lots of minutes, too.  Achor Achor had 25 points, 9 boards and 4 blocks

romey

• All American
« Reply #2990 on: March 11, 2024, 09:11:29 PM »
College hoops is fine.
Whatever "fine" means. His point is obvious - players don't think they're getting enough playing time, they transfer out.  And the timeline for when they can do that makes it difficult to build continuity.  Any employer who basically has to manage at MOST a 4 year "staff/team" would have a difficult enough time to run a business. Now if that team was structured so that the staff/team members/employees can leave at anytime, the difficulty to create an effective, successful business or team increases.

So, I'm not sure college basketball is fine.  But the reality is, this is where we are now.  So, Pitino is not wrong IMO.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2991 on: March 11, 2024, 09:14:13 PM »
Keeyan on ESPN2 as N. Kentucky is taking on UW-M.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Go Warriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #2992 on: March 11, 2024, 09:20:53 PM »
I believe both of the head coaches are former MU assistants as well. Horn and Lundy

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #2993 on: March 11, 2024, 09:26:07 PM »
I believe both of the head coaches are former MU assistants as well. Horn and Lundy

That's right.  Their tenures didn't overlap though.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2994 on: March 11, 2024, 10:34:11 PM »
Whatever "fine" means. His point is obvious - players don't think they're getting enough playing time, they transfer out.  And the timeline for when they can do that makes it difficult to build continuity.  Any employer who basically has to manage at MOST a 4 year "staff/team" would have a difficult enough time to run a business. Now if that team was structured so that the staff/team members/employees can leave at anytime, the difficulty to create an effective, successful business or team increases.

So, I'm not sure college basketball is fine.  But the reality is, this is where we are now.  So, Pitino is not wrong IMO.

I get the gist of what you are saying, but just as employees who believe that they are not receiving their just due in terms of income, promotion, input/being listened to should be free to leave, players who believe that they are not getting the playing time or are not being used to their best potential should be free to leave.

It took me a while to learn how to do it, but by hiring people who I knew would fit into the culture of my small manufacturing company and keeping them personally invested in many ways, I had long term employees. They were free to leave, but chose to stay. Turnover was not a problem.

Shaka has brought in players who fit his system and has a culture that, although it is still early with this being his third year, seems to be working well. They have chosen to stay.

Pitino bemoans the ease of transferring yet he kept only one player from last year's team. He brought in many transfers from other teams including some from Iona (right?) and he left Iona with years left on his contract. What's the best word to describe Pitino's bitching? Hypocrisy or irony?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2995 on: March 11, 2024, 10:43:44 PM »
Keeyan on ESPN2 as N. Kentucky is taking on UW-M.

Big second half for the Panthers.

I'd love a dude like Fields on the glass at MU. Swung the game for them and then Freeman got going.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2996 on: March 11, 2024, 11:35:33 PM »
More interesting was when he gave his 8 title contenders but then spent the whole time focusing on 4 teams

UConn, Purdue, Houston…….us

Pitino has always spoke fondly of Marquette.

romey

• All American
« Reply #2997 on: March 12, 2024, 12:17:57 AM »
I get the gist of what you are saying, but just as employees who believe that they are not receiving their just due in terms of income, promotion, input/being listened to should be free to leave, players who believe that they are not getting the playing time or are not being used to their best potential should be free to leave.

It took me a while to learn how to do it, but by hiring people who I knew would fit into the culture of my small manufacturing company and keeping them personally invested in many ways, I had long term employees. They were free to leave, but chose to stay. Turnover was not a problem.

Shaka has brought in players who fit his system and has a culture that, although it is still early with this being his third year, seems to be working well. They have chosen to stay.

Pitino bemoans the ease of transferring yet he kept only one player from last year's team. He brought in many transfers from other teams including some from Iona (right?) and he left Iona with years left on his contract. What's the best word to describe Pitino's bitching? Hypocrisy or irony?
Scoop, excellent points.  I just have concerns about how this will all shake out.  I grew up in an era when you played on sports teams with your neighbors, then your classmates and community.  Then my kids started out the same, but gradually, kids were "recruited" by other high schools and moved into another district to play on a better team,  Then AAU ball replaced high school ball in terms of where the best players played.  I get it, times change, the game evolves, and college sports are changing.  gain, I'm not sure college basketball is "fine."

Thanks for letting an "old school," old guy vent.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2998 on: March 12, 2024, 12:32:16 AM »

This same thing happened with Kiffin talking about the portal in CFB.  Commentary on the new norm portrayed as sour grapes.

I didn’t view it as bitching at all.  He was speaking of the difficulties and challenges that the new NIL/transfer rules world has brought.  Especially for guys who have coached for 20+ years in CBB/CFB and enjoyed/preferred aspects of it.  He also said he didn’t blame players at all.  Bitching would be calling it unfair or moaning that you’re getting screwed.  Reasonable pragmatic critique of the current CBB world by a top 10 CBB coach of all time isn’t bitching.  But then again, it’s Pitino so I’m sure the bias is dyed in wool for some here.  If Jay Wright gave the same interview I wouldn’t be surprised to see it viewed differently here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2999 on: March 12, 2024, 12:54:44 AM »
This same thing happened with Kiffin talking about the portal in CFB.  Commentary on the new norm portrayed as sour grapes.

I didn’t view it as bitching at all.  He was speaking of the difficulties and challenges that the new NIL/transfer rules world has brought.  Especially for guys who have coached for 20+ years in CBB/CFB and enjoyed/preferred aspects of it.  He also said he didn’t blame players at all.  Bitching would be calling it unfair or moaning that you’re getting screwed.  Reasonable pragmatic critique of the current CBB world by a top 10 CBB coach of all time isn’t bitching.  But then again, it’s Pitino so I’m sure the bias is dyed in wool for some here.  If Jay Wright gave the same interview I wouldn’t be surprised to see it viewed differently here.

Didn't see Pitino's comments, but there's been plenty of bitching from coaches on this topic.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.