Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread  (Read 212299 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #2525 on: February 25, 2024, 09:04:33 AM »
If you made it to 20 beers before you puked, mad respect.

Disagree, if you only drink 20 beers during a Marquette game, you may as well sit at Mecca bar and cheer for Bucky.  ;D Lightweights.  /s

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2526 on: February 25, 2024, 09:07:59 AM »
Pathetic, really.  Beating UConn and not storming the court would say more about where Marquette is

Ha! Stirring the pot!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2527 on: February 25, 2024, 09:08:05 AM »
Important games for Marquette’s cause today:

Quinnipiac at Rider:  A Rider win helps Marquette’s cause

PFW at UWM: A PFW win justifies Marquette ducking UWM
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2528 on: February 25, 2024, 09:09:46 AM »
Ha! Stirring the pot!

Is it?  They beat UConn twice last year.  I don’t care if they’re 1 or 2 when they play them.  If you’re a national title contender, you don’t rush the court when you beat another good team. 

Do Kansas fans rush the court when they beat good teams?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2529 on: February 25, 2024, 09:19:53 AM »
Pathetic, really.  Beating UConn and not storming the court would say more about where Marquette is

Oh, I agree. Just saying that I expect it to happen if we win. I would be very happy if we won and there was no court storming.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2530 on: February 25, 2024, 09:22:27 AM »

Whether kids storm the court or don't storm the court really says nothing about where Marquette is.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2531 on: February 25, 2024, 09:28:22 AM »
Whether kids storm the court or don't storm the court really says nothing about where Marquette is.

Perception is reality.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2532 on: February 25, 2024, 09:33:46 AM »
Why isn’t anyone concerned about the student filipowski intentionally tripped?

I noticed that too.  👀

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2533 on: February 25, 2024, 09:34:23 AM »
Here is the take in The Athletic's morning e-newsletter:

We're all for fun, and we'll always defend fans who celebrate a victory however they want — as long as it's safe for everybody. On that last note:

Yesterday, we saw a Duke star injured when fans of Wake Forest (the favored team, actually) stormed the court. Kyle Filipowski, the injured Blue Devil, called for change.

This comes a few weeks after none other than Caitlin Clark got trucked by an Ohio State fan rushing the court in Columbus.

And social media clout-chasers have even taken to taunting football players to their faces immediately after heated upsets. Deeply unwise.

We get it. Storming the court is a blast, no matter whether some grinch thinks the victory was monumental enough or not.

But when college athletes are getting knocked over and harassed, it's time to reassess. (Maybe we accept it's gonna happen, but add a dramatic countdown so players can get outta there first?)

I'm not sure about the possible solution at the end, but the tone of this is pretty much where I'm at. I'm one who has defended court-storming as a fun thing that college kids get to do (and only fairly rarely, really). But I am also about keeping the athletes and coaches safe, so maybe something has to be done. I haven't thought enough about a potential solution.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2534 on: February 25, 2024, 09:37:58 AM »
Is it?  They beat UConn twice last year.  I don’t care if they’re 1 or 2 when they play them.  If you’re a national title contender, you don’t rush the court when you beat another good team. 

Do Kansas fans rush the court when they beat good teams?

Oh,  I’m on your side on this one.   I’ve stated it’s something inferior programs do too often.  I’m more arrogant about MU than that.   But we are not Kansas either.   

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2535 on: February 25, 2024, 10:05:51 AM »

I'm not sure about the possible solution at the end, but the tone of this is pretty much where I'm at. I'm one who has defended court-storming as a fun thing that college kids get to do (and only fairly rarely, really). But I am also about keeping the athletes and coaches safe, so maybe something has to be done. I haven't thought enough about a potential solution.

Electrified fencing does a great job at keeping livestock from leaving the farms around here. Once they bump into it, they carefully avoid it. I've bumped into it myself. JEEZUS!

Seriously...how can storming be prevented? Pumped up college students are not known for following rules or guidelines.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #2536 on: February 25, 2024, 10:07:33 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2537 on: February 25, 2024, 10:22:24 AM »
Situation should have never happened.  Period. 

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2538 on: February 25, 2024, 11:14:18 AM »
I blame Duke. Don’t lose and it won’t happen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2539 on: February 25, 2024, 11:17:47 AM »

Electrified fencing does a great job at keeping livestock from leaving the farms around here. Once they bump into it, they carefully avoid it. I've bumped into it myself. JEEZUS!

Seriously...how can storming be prevented? Pumped up college students are not known for following rules or guidelines.

Someone posted here that it should be an automatic tech with 2 FTs awarded to the road team.  An interesting idea that would only help in games decided by 1or 2 points.

Otherwise i think the only option is requiring schools to hire a massive amount of security and put up barricades any time a top 10 team comes to town.

I'm not sure theres a way to allow it with zero risk.  Maybe making an announcement at the last dead ball or as the home team is dribbling it out (if it's not a close game) that security will be blocking people from entering the court  at the buzzer but will allow them through after the other team is off the court.  Honestly doesn't seem logistically sound
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2540 on: February 25, 2024, 11:25:13 AM »
It’s not enforceable that’s why nothing can be done. Even if you have a perimeter of security linked arms you are trying to stop literally thousands of college kids, most that have been drinking from rushing the court.

Nothings been done because it’s impossible to stop it kids choose to rush, once there is a chink in the armor it’s going to break

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2541 on: February 25, 2024, 11:26:01 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agrQLfKcDhw

Can’t blame Filipkowski. There are thousands of people sprinting towards to not caring about where you are. Have to have some kind of self defense there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2542 on: February 25, 2024, 11:28:41 AM »
Someone posted here that it should be an automatic tech with 2 FTs awarded to the road team.  An interesting idea that would only help in games decided by 1or 2 points.

Otherwise i think the only option is requiring schools to hire a massive amount of security and put up barricades any time a top 10 team comes to town.

I'm not sure theres a way to allow it with zero risk.  Maybe making an announcement at the last dead ball or as the home team is dribbling it out (if it's not a close game) that security will be blocking people from entering the court  at the buzzer but will allow them through after the other team is off the court.  Honestly doesn't seem logistically sound

Honestly that's probably close to the best option. My friends and I were courtside in the student section against Cinci in '02. It was clear we were going to win and the buzz was going around that we were going to storm - we told the ushers and everyone was really conscientious about making sure no one got knocked down - although a few idiots from the other side of the student section did run on while the clock was still ticking. If you watch the video (1:31:00) the players were also pretty into it - although a few of them did get grabbed/pushed around a bit (including D-wade who kind of had to make an escape). I don't remember anyone caring about the cinci players at all - everyone rushed to the center and their bench was away from the student section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1p8BAhVtQ

But - the problem I suppose is that if it is officially "sanctioned" (even after players who want to have cleared the court) then that probably implies some additional liability.

It's a real conundrum - court storming is one of the last few spontaneous-fan-led-non-corporatized-monetized-aspects of the sport. Because it happens rarely and spontaneously it is really special when it happens. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:30:15 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #2543 on: February 25, 2024, 12:43:51 PM »
Can’t blame Filipkowski. There are thousands of people sprinting towards to not caring about where you are. Have to have some kind of self defense there.

I agree. I just posted since it was a good look at what happened. It does disprove Filipowski’s claim that the kid intentionally hit him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2544 on: February 25, 2024, 12:47:11 PM »
The first kid, the one who hit his knee, taunted him.  After Filipowski was knocked off balance, a second WF student clearly pushed/punched him in the back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MochaJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #2545 on: February 25, 2024, 12:48:21 PM »
The first kid, the one who hit his knee, taunted him.  After Filipowski was knocked off balance, a second WF student clearly pushed/punched him in the back.

*the first kid who filipowski tripped.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2546 on: February 25, 2024, 12:49:03 PM »
The first kid who Filipiwski fended off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MochaJoe

• Walk-On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2548 on: February 25, 2024, 12:54:56 PM »
Stood his ground against the taunting kid running up on him.   

MochaJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #2549 on: February 25, 2024, 12:58:01 PM »
Stood his ground against the taunting kid running up on him.

Extended his arm and leg as kid ran past him.